MASN announcer propaganda

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Whats funny is that we will hear from people that the GRod injury was unforeseen and unfair and bad luck. 

The cluelessness of people and their gullibility during this “rebuild” is astounding to me.

Just look at the Tigers and all their injuries to prospects,mostly pitchers.

Just now, Going Underground said:

Tigers,Royals and suprising the Angels.

Rob Long was saying this morning that the Oriole players are so close and he took a picture and the players were on the top step of the dugout, cheering for each other.He has never seen a closer knit group of Orioles.

I wonder if they sit around the campfire after the game and toast marshmallows and sing Kumbaya. All well and good but how many players will be different next year than this year?  Will all the new players be as close? 

The team has been close!  Even with all this losing, they have had a good locker room.  The MiL players are very close as well.  

This isn’t new for 2022 but it’s part of the subliminal messaging MASN is pushing on the fans to make it seem like this year is vastly different and fans are buying into it.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The team has been close!  Even with all this losing, they have had a good locker room.  The MiL players are very close as well.  

This isn’t new for 2022 but it’s part of the subliminal messaging MASN is pushing on the fans to make it seem like this year is vastly different and fans are buying into it.  

Not attendance wise even with Adley up. Have not seen any ratings for MASN yet but might be up.The prople I know care more about Lamar not showing up for ETA's then Adley coming up.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Propaganda is a big part of how the media operates. You don’t expect a team to criticize itself. It’s why if the media does it’s job properly they can be so valuable. Teams want to control the narrative. Media needs to push back on that. 

I don’t allow the media to influence my thoughts nor MASN. That said this team is more entertaining. They are highly flawed. Not ready to win but it’s much better. 

• Upvote 1

I agree that the "vibe is different" propaganda is worthy of an eye roll.

But this team is wildly different from the 2020 team in my opinion. The lineup has only one AAAA player (Odor) and the rest are qualified major leaguers right now. The 2020 team trotted out at least 5 AAAA players (Alberto, Ruiz, Stewart, Severino, Nunez, etc.) every night. 

The pitching is about the same, but there's a large difference in position player talent. The fact that you're complaining about our end of the bench utility infielder being a scrub is an indicator. Most of our lineup was Chris Owings types not long ago.

My real complaint is that the front office chose to be so bad over the last few years. It didn't have to be that way. They knew Dwight Smith and Stevie Wilkerson would never be ML-caliber.

To be fair, the Orioles have played the third hardest schedule in baseball to date.  http://powerrankingsguru.com/mlb/strength-of-schedule.php

This team is better.  We are on the upswing.  Unfortunately, with the current pipeline I don't foresee much more than a slightly above .500 team even once everyone arrives.  But I also think most of this is because rich teams no longer have dumb front offices constantly chasing the shining ring of a free agent about to decline.  If you were to look at the top 10 front offices, of the AL East clubs only the Red Sox might be out of that conversation.  

Finally, Adley isn't going to be Vlad or even Julio Rodriguez.  His value comes from his abilities in comparison to others in his position.  The sooner people realize this and adjust their expectations, the better.  

Yea I’m not really seeing the “more enjoyable to watch” stuff.  

Santander is fine..Mullins is worse. Mancini is what he is.  Mountcastle is struggling.  Mateo is fun to watch throw and run but abysmal to watch hit. Odor is in a hot streak but we know he’s not good.  C position has been terrible until Adley came up and he’s struggling. 

I like Urias but he’s no different and Hays is playing well.  He’s fun to watch and he’s staying healthy so far.

I mean, I don’t disagree that there is more talent but some of it is the same guys just playing better than 2019 and 2020.  To me exciting is having the younger kids up and players in the lineup that are long term fixtures and starters that you actually want to see pitch.

Just now, baltfan said:

To be fair, the Orioles have played the third hardest schedule in baseball to date.  http://powerrankingsguru.com/mlb/strength-of-schedule.php

This team is better.  We are on the upswing.  Unfortunately, with the current pipeline I don't foresee much more than a slightly above .500 team even once everyone arrives.  But I also think most of this is because rich teams no longer have dumb front offices constantly chasing the shining ring of a free agent about to decline.  If you were to look at the top 10 front offices, of the AL East clubs only the Red Sox might be out of that conversation.  

Finally, Adley isn't going to be Vlad or even Julio Rodriguez.  His value comes from his abilities in comparison to others in his position.  The sooner people realize this and adjust their expectations, the better.  

Adley is a player that scouts have said could be an AS level bat at first base.  So the expectations are what they are.  He should be Posey or better with the bat.  That’s what they drafted.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Adley is a player that scouts have said could be an AS level bat at first base.  So the expectations are what they are.  He should be Posey or better with the bat.  That’s what they drafted.

They can say that all they want.  He is 24 years old and hasn't dominated from an offensive standpoint anywhere except to a certain degree from an OBP standpoint.  He has an elite batting eye, but I fear that there are enough holes in his swing that at the major league level pitchers will be better able to challenge him in the zone driving his OBP down.  He really lets the ball travel, which can be excellent, but sometimes can be a sign of a player that is slower at pitch recognition or reaction.  

Elias doesn’t do enough of the little things to support the MLB team. He makes the required moves, and then sets the season on simulation mode, and watches. 

Tough loss last night. Tough break for GR. Quite frankly, I don’t see how the pitching holds up as well as it has been. 

• Upvote 1

I mean, I do feel like this team is more watchable than what we've seen in recent years. Younger, higher ceiling, etc.

Plus announcers talking up their product is nothing new. Mike Bordick used to do this kind of thing all the time. He'd say things like "He really is one of the elite outfielders.."

And he'd be talking about FELIX PIE!

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I’m not really seeing the “more enjoyable to watch” stuff.  

Santander is fine..Mullins is worse. Mancini is what he is.  Mountcastle is struggling.  Mateo is fun to watch throw and run but abysmal to watch hit. Odor is in a hot streak but we know he’s not good.  C position has been terrible until Adley came up and he’s struggling. 

I like Urias but he’s no different and Hays is playing well.  He’s fun to watch and he’s staying healthy so far.

I mean, I don’t disagree that there is more talent but some of it is the same guys just playing better than 2019 and 2020.  To me exciting is having the younger kids up and players in the lineup that are long term fixtures and starters that you actually want to see pitch.

Most of the position players are younger guys. Mancini is the oldest at 30. At least lately Urias and Odor are contributing. I mean it would be great if Mullins did what he did last year and Adley is tearing the cover off the ball but I’m fine with the position group. Not saying there aren’t holes but nothing like what we have seen. You have 6 players who are all capable and realistically can (be based off a basic stat like OPS+) average to above average players. 

The bench has issues.  No sugar coating that. I’m not worried about how well my number 2 catcher hits.  Most utility guys are at spot for a reason. That said clearly they could have more there. McKenna is more the speed/glove type. It would be nice to have a legit bat off bench. The regulars don’t sit much. The bigger issue is if injures occur. Saw that the Tigers series. 

The pen has been really good. I think we are due for some regression with some of these guys. Saw that some last night. That said in general have to be happy. Issue is with how sport works now your 6-8/9 arms eventually wind up pitching in more high leverage spots. 

The rotation has issues. Question will be if they can at least be serviceable or do they fall off a cliff. Many years we have seen the later.  There is no starter who is must see TV. The whole sport doesn’t have a ton of those guys. I think in general aside from winning the position players drive a teams entertainment value. 

18 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I mean, I do feel like this team is more watchable than what we've seen in recent years. Younger, higher ceiling, etc.

Plus announcers talking up their product is nothing new. Mike Bordick used to do this kind of thing all the time. He'd say things like "He really is one of the elite outfielders.."

And he'd be talking about FELIX PIE!

Pie was fun to watch, just not on the base path. 

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Where’s @wildcardto spread his positive pixie dust?

@Tony-OHi see where you’re coming from and I agree with a lot of it: rookie coming up and acting like he belongs, G-Rods lat strain, the overall record, some roster decisions, Cowser (looking like a bad pick more and more each day) Kjerstad (bad luck) etc.

I wouldn’t want to be accused of main stream media propaganda but you’re ignoring the turnaround of guys like Akin, Tate and Lopez. Sure the record for this team and the 2020 team is the same but this team has a different feeling about it.  They just took 3/5 from Boston IN BOSTON.  Would you be creating this thread if they went 2 for 3 against the Mariners?

But getting back to the propaganda thing, what else would you expect from MASN?  That’s what any RSN would do. 

Sure, Akin, Tate and Lopez have had great turnaround and Bautistia and Perez have been nice additions to the pen. Despite this, we still have a worse winning percentage than 2020. 

All I'm saying here is the propaganda being spread about how exciting this team is and all the great additions have shown to be just that, propaganda. 

Honestly, If the minor leaguers were doing better you could be more excited, but it's really been a disappointing year down there and when you add that to another last place Orioles team, this excitement spun up by a few walk off wins is not backed up by the winning percentage overall.

I get it that fans want to be fired up, hell, I want to be fired up, but I just can't as long as Elias continues to stack his major league roster with AAAA-types.

• Like 1