The FCL thread 2022

Frobby

The Orioles got off to an inauspicious start in the FCL, falling 11-1 to the Rays. Sammy Basallo was 2 for 4, while Maikol Hernandez took an 0 for 5 collar.   Stiven Acevedo went 2 for 4 with a double and the lone RBI.  Starter Darlin Alcantra was lit up for 8 runs in 3.2 innings.  

Better luck tomorrow.  

• Upvote 1

The FCL O’s bounced back with a 3-2 win today over the Rays.  Sammy Basallo was 1 for 4 while Maikol Hernandez took the collar again, 0 for 4.   Starter Deivi Cruz (18) allowed 2 unearned runs on 3 hits and 2 walks, striking out 7.   In relief, Miguel Padilla (20) threw three scoreless innings, allowing 3 hits and striking out 5 without issuing a free pass.   

• Upvote 1

After almost a full year we finally have a Dylan Heid sighting.   He just entered the FCL Orioles game and had a very uneven inning of work.  2 strikeouts, 2 walks, 1 hit, 1 run.

Heid, to the best of my knowledge, was drafted last year but did not make his professional debut until today.

A much better second innings with one more walk and 2 strikeouts.   Kevin Guerrero, the 18 yo outfielder we got from the Marlins in the Sulser/Scott trade with a 3-run homer in the 9th.  1-4 with a walk.

12 hours ago, waynebug said:

Bencosme and Acevedo have been promoted and staring for Delmarva tonight.

Went to the game yesterday and was disappointed both Benscome and Acevedo weren't playing. Saw they both were promoted and Benscome started out with 3 hits. Servideo was DH, he hit the ball hard twice and then didn't look so good on some off speed pitches his third at bat and struck out. I will say the home plate ump was not good to say the least on balls and strikes, both teams were visibly irritated, so remember down here in the FCL there are a lot of factors that go into some performances

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, waynebug said:

Hapless Florida Orioles one hit 8-0 by Braves.

Elias has had 3 drafts and 3 international signing classes.  This team should be more competitive.

This braves team is mostly composed of non prospects themselves.

Maybe so but what does 3 drafts have to do with this years FCL team?

I did notice that our starting pitcher was 18 and the Braves pitcher was 21.   I'd love to see more wins and better performances but I'm more concerned if Basallo, Hernandez, Delosantos, Guerrero, etc. are legit top prospects.  4 games in.  Tough to tell.

4 hours ago, waynebug said:

Hapless Florida Orioles one hit 8-0 by Braves.

Elias has had 3 drafts and 3 international signing classes.  This team should be more competitive.

This braves team is mostly composed of non prospects themselves.

The combination of (1) the O’s drafting virtually no high school players, and (2) the O’s having to spend a couple of years playing catch-up on the foreign amateur front left me with extremely low expectations for the FCL team.  I’m focused on the few decent prospects we signed in Jan. 2021 and that’s all.   

Now the DSL, that’s where I’d like to be seeing some progress this year.   The “playing catch-up” argument doesn’t apply to the class we signed in January 2022.    Those teams should be competitive and we should have our fair share of prospects there.  So, seeing our two teams there at 2-5 and 1-6 is more concerning to me than the FCL team.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Now the DSL, that’s where I’d like to be seeing some progress this year.   The “playing catch-up” argument doesn’t apply to the class we signed in January 2022.    Those teams should be competitive and we should have our fair share of prospects there.  So, seeing our two teams there at 2-5 and 1-6 is more concerning to me than the FCL team.  

Agree to a point, I also don’t think it’s coincidence that two of the top three teams don’t have a second team. I’d like the teams to be more middle of the pack though 

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

Agree to a point, I also don’t think it’s coincidence that two of the top three teams don’t have a second team. I’d like the teams to be more middle of the pack though 

19 of the 30 orgs have two DSL teams, so we ought to be at least competitive.   

23 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Of course we'd like all of these teams to be competitive, but what's really important is to get a few guys out of the bunch who end up top 10 ish prospects, with an occasional top 1-5 guy coming through. 

This, the number of players currently in the dsl who will make the majors is incredibly low. It’s more about having a few good prospects then an overall deeper team 

That said, it would be better if they were more competitive