The FCL thread 2022

Frobby

So in the past few days the FCL has sent 2 young starters to Delmarva.  20 year old righty Miguel Padilla has transitioned from reliever in the DSL in 2019 to a starter for the Shorebirds.  I don't know his bonus but I know everybody who got $100,000+ in July 2019.  He got less than that, so a 5 figure bonus

And 18 year old leftyDeivy Cruz has always been a starter.  Last year in the DSL, to the FCL in June and now a starter for the Shorebirds.  He got a nice signing bonus for a shorter, 5'11" skinny pitcher.  About $200,000 so there were expectations.

• Upvote 1

Basallo 2-5 today (.890 OPS for the season) as the FCL O's picked up a rare win today, 6-4 over the Twins.

The lineup is truly astoundingly brutal. 5 of the 9 starters today have an OPS of less than .400(!).

Anderson De Los Santos is the only other age appropriate (under 20 years old) player in the lineup that is even remotely holding his own.

Presumably the team will be better if we end up adding some high school kids in the draft (or college players too old to be there) to fill out the roster, but for now this team is brutal.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Basallo 2-5 today (.890 OPS for the season) as the FCL O's picked up a rare win today, 6-4 over the Twins.

The lineup is truly astoundingly brutal. 5 of the 9 starters today have an OPS of less than .400(!).

Anderson De Los Santos is the only other age appropriate (under 20 years old) player in the lineup that is even remotely holding his own.

Presumably the team will be better if we end up adding some high school kids in the draft (or college players too old to be there) to fill out the roster, but for now this team is brutal.

The FCL O’s rank 14th of 16 in runs per game and 15th/16 in OPS.   

Our two DSL teams rank 44th and 49th of 49 teams in runs/game, 46th and 49th in OPS.   So don’t expect a lot of improvement from the FCL O’s next year.  

Just gotta hope that Basallo and maybe 1-2 other guys are nuggets.  

Florida Orioles lose, as expected, 6 to 3 to Florida Rays.  Now 6 and 21.  Yes. 6-21

Millionaire catcher Basallo did go 2 for 4 with his 4th homer

"Almost" Oriole Nick Bitsko got the win.  3 innings, 1 earned run, 2 strikeouts.  Nick has been rehabbing injuries since being drafted.

After the draft, word leaked out he would have been the O's pick in Comp Round A in 2020.

15 minutes ago, waynebug said:

By the way, I looked at the 2020 draft again.

I would say the Rays did us a favor taking Bitsko in the 1st round.

We had to "settle" for a fellow named Jordan WESTBURG.

A HS pitcher at 1.30 by Elias?  Unpossible!  He hates pitchers. ;)

He was kinda local, from Pennsylvania.

They were said to have the bonus details worked out !!!!

Same thing happened last year.  They had an agreement in place with Jud Fabian before the Red Sox drafted him. He turned down their offer and returned to Florida.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news!  Raul Rangel is back pitching.  1 IP, 1 BB, 2 K's.    Wasn't sure how serious his injury was but it looks like it wasn't too bad.

Also, 18 yo Angel Tejada might be emerging as a prospect.   3 homers in his last 5 games and 2 in the last two games.   

https://www.milb.com/player/angel-tejada-698941?stats=gamelogs-r-hitting-mlb&year=2022

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

Watched the FCL team yesterday and as usual not a lot of good going on, but will try and throw in some positivity to this bad group. The one player that had some good AB's was V Gonzalez. Saw he was brought up June 5th and before yesterday was a dismal 0 for 18, but did have 10 walks to 9 K's which is encouraging. Yesterday he looked as good as anyone in the box and got his first couple of hits, maybe just maybe it's the start of something. I know it's a bit of a stretch, but I know I'll be watching his progress thru the rest of the season. I really can't understand how the Orioles gave M Hernandez over a million dollars to sign. I've seen him quite a few times and there isn't anything that would make me think he deserved anywhere near that kind of money, offensively or defensively. I guess that was a big swing and a miss.

Edited by Triple Crown
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Triple Crown said:

Watched the FCL team yesterday and as usual not a lot of good going on, but will try and throw in some positivity to this bad group. The one player that had some good AB's was V Gonzalez. Saw he was brought up June 5th and before yesterday was a dismal 0 for 18, but did have 10 walks to 9 K's which is encouraging. Yesterday he looked as good as anyone in the box and got his first couple of hits, maybe just maybe it's the start of something. I know it's a bit of a stretch, but I know I'll be watching his progress thru the rest of the season. I really can't understand how the Orioles gave M Hernandez over a million dollars to sign. I've seen him quite a few times and there isn't anything that would make me think he deserved anywhere near that kind of money, offensively or defensively. I guess that was a big swing and a miss.

I'm not taking up for Koby Perez and his scouts here, but I think we are going to see these kinds of misses due to the way the system is set up. You basically have to make agreements with these guys when they are 14 or 15 years old and hope they keep developing. 

Think about how many young men develop that senior year of high school when they are 17? In the current system, these guys are already in the system. this is why you see guys like Benscome and Estrada doing well despite not being huge bonus guys.

Thankfully, Basallo looks like a beast as a 17-year old. I don't know if he'll be able to stay behind the plate, but he's going to be a big guy with huge raw power.

3 hours ago, Triple Crown said:

I understand that completely, I guess they basically went on his size and hoped for maturing and development. I just would’ve liked to see a little less cash.

Why?  Its not our money.  As long as they spend at or close to the max they're allowed to, I'm fine with them spending it how they see fit.  Of course there will be busts but that has to be built into the process, there's no avoiding it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

Why?  Its not our money.  As long as they spend at or close to the max they're allowed to, I'm fine with them spending it how they see fit.  Of course there will be busts but that has to be built into the process, there's no avoiding it.

My point isn’t actually about the money per se. Just on that individual, they maybe could’ve took a shot at some other projects. I’m all for spending the allotted amount