Some Os players will miss the Toronto series

Sports Guy

Thanks, Tony.   I will be interested to see who we need to replace.   It certainly is a competitive advantage for Toronto.  

SG inquired whether Stowers will be called up, if Santander is on the list.  I doubt it. He’s not on the 40 and I don’t think we’d put him there to staff a 4-man series.  I’d guess we’ll get by with McKenna and Mancini.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

It's an interesting thought. If Stowers was on the 40-man it would be a no brainer, but we know how Elias has been with bringing guys up if they're real prospects and not on the 40-man. 

I think Stowers, if he's eligible to go, would be a great idea if one of the players that can't go is one of the starting outfielders. 

The 40 man situation is true but luckily Elias has put together a 40 man roster full of guys we can cut at any moment!  :)

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The 40 man situation is true but luckily Elias has put together a 40 man roster full of guys we can cut at any moment!  :)

Now way!! There's so much talent on the 40-man that must be kept or risked losing for the future.

;)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Due to the COVID rules in Canada and some of the Os players not vaccinated, some players will not be able to make the trip.

Akin is likely one.  An interesting one is probably Santander, who I believe was on the list last year.  Does Stowers get the call for the weekend series?

The Os will certainly need some guys up.  Apparently it will be multiple players,

Lots of things I could say right now, but to stay on point - I hope Stowers gets called up too.  Probably a handful of other AAA guys. 

If someone isn’t vaccinated and put on whatever list it is for the Toronto series, how does the replacement player work? I think someone earlier mentioned no service time, but do they have to be a current 40 man player? 

If, for example, Santander is on the list. Could they actually call up Stowers without having to put him on the 40? Or would Vavra or even Bannon be more likely, since they are already on the 40? Same thing with a catcher, if say Chirinos can’t play?

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If someone isn’t vaccinated and put on whatever list it is for the Toronto series, how does the replacement player work? I think someone earlier mentioned no service time, but do they have to be a current 40 man player? 

If, for example, Santander is on the list. Could they actually call up Stowers without having to put him on the 40? Or would Vavra or even Bannon be more likely, since they are already on the 40? Same thing with a catcher, if say Chirinos can’t play?

You have to be on the 40 man to play in an MLB game.

If nothing else that would be an issue with the MLBPA.

I'm not worried about the impact of putting Stowers on the 40-man roster, since he would have to be placed on it in December anyway.

Offseason 40-man roster flexibility is more important, which is why I think that unless he puts up a 1.000+ OPS in AAA, Gunnar Henderson won't be getting a cup of coffee in September, since he wouldn't otherwise needed to be added to the 40-man roster.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

True..my comments about Stowers are based on the idea that Santander is still unvaxxed.  That may not be the case anymore.

I'd love to see Stowers up. I haven't looked yet to see what they have available on the 40. That's probably the path that they'll go.

We are just assuming it is Santander and Akin.Maybe they got their shots and it is other players. The Orioles roster has changed alot since last year. The Yankees supposedly had two players unvaccinated before the Toronto trip  and both got vaccinated before the trip Maybe the same thing happens with the Orioles and becomes a non issue. 

While I would be mad if players weren't able to play in Toronto if we were in the postseason hunt, given where we are in the rebuild, I find it interesting that there's more excitement (of which I share) at the idea of seeing a young player for a few games.