Heston Kjerstad 2022

joelala

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Im surprised at how bad he has been in A ball.  I wonder if they are trying to work on things with him, ala Cowser and that is causing some of the issues.

I think there is a pattern emerging.  He hit a ton of groundballs in Delmarva, I have to imagine they are working on some pretty significant swing changes.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Good question.   If so, that’s worrisome. 

Why would it be anything other than expected? This is his first full season of baseball after a rather significant illness. I would be very surprised if he has been able to participate in a full conditioning program. Couple that with the less than luxurious life style that is minor league baseball and you have all the ingredients for a late season wilt.

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Why would it be anything other than expected? This is his first full season of baseball after a rather significant illness. I would be very surprised if he has been able to participate in a full conditioning program. Couple that with the less than luxurious life style that is minor league baseball and you have all the ingredients for a late season wilt.

But it's not a full season, he only started playing in games in mid-June. He's only played in 40 some games, thats less than half of most of what his peers are playing in. I'm not denying that fatigue is expected, but it's not like he's been in competitive action since April.

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wonder if fatigue is a factor?

in his last four games at Delmarva he went something like 9 for 14 with five walks. Seems like the only way it’s fatigue-related is if the Orioles made him walk from Delmarva to Aberdeen while carrying furniture for an apartment on his back. A minor injury makes more sense than fatigue IMO but I don’t think its either. Several prospects have gone super cold there especially when trying to tweak their swings. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, flaoriolesfan said:

Out of the game today after 1 at bat. Hope everything is okay.

I think it could have been a manager's decision. In his first at bat, with a runner on 1st base, he hit a ground ball to SS, but instead of starting his sprint, he slammed his bat down in frustration then was easily doubled up.

It's pretty clear these struggles are bothering him now. This is probably the first time in his life he's ever struggled, and after following destroying A-ball, he's probably either frustrated with the swing changes or his lack of success.

Now, it's possible he tweaked something on the swing and that's why he slammed his bat down and in that case, it's understandable that he's frustrated. I could not tell how hard he ran down to 1B.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think it could have been a manager's decision. In his first at bat, with a runner on 1st base, he hit a ground ball to SS, but instead of starting his sprint, he slammed his bat down in frustration then was easily doubled up.

It's pretty clear these struggles are bothering him now. This is probably the first time in his life he's ever struggled, and after following destroying A-ball, he's probably either frustrated with the swing changes or his lack of success.

Now, it's possible he tweaked something on the swing and that's why he slammed his bat down and in that case, it's understandable that he's frustrated. I could not tell how hard he ran down to 1B.

One of the beat writers tweeted that it was not injury related. Maybe because of the frustration?

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Didn't run it out and got rightly benched IMO.

It probably wasn't even the not running it out hard (I couldn't tell how hard from the camera angle), it was more of the bat slam after the ground ball. that was just very unprofessional and surprising a bit. But I'm sure he's frustrated and let it get to him. Hopefully it's a good lesson learned if he was benched because of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It probably wasn't even the not running it out hard (I couldn't tell how hard from the camera angle), it was more of the bat slam after the ground ball. that was just very unprofessional and surprising a bit. But I'm sure he's frustrated and let it get to him. Hopefully it's a good lesson learned if he was benched because of it.

I feel for him. He’s a college kid, so he wasn’t that young when he started pro hall. Then he lost two seasons to injury. He’s probably somewhat feeling like he has to make up for lost time, and now on top of that he’s struggling at hitting a baseball for probably the first time ever 

28 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I feel for him. He’s a college kid, so he wasn’t that young when he started pro hall. Then he lost two seasons to injury. He’s probably somewhat feeling like he has to make up for lost time, and now on top of that he’s struggling at hitting a baseball for probably the first time ever 

Agreed.