Elias on TV (draft questions)

I didn’t see anyone post anything so here are the tidbits:

They pressed him on having 5 players this close to the draft. He said 5 or more. After he left, Ben & Kevin were surprised by this.

Ben specifically said (after Elias left) in some words or less, that Johnson’s size gave him concerns as a 1:1.

Elias only stayed for a half an inning again. Last time he was on, it was a real quick inning so figured he would stay and talk more, he didn’t. My .02: Why can’t Elias talk to the fans more? Seems important. Is it that much trouble to talk to Kevin & Ben for more than a half inning?

Lastly, heard from someone I know that has known inside info previously (and been accurate). He said that Sig is running a lot of the draft and Lee is his guy. This person said they have Jones as best player “hands down” but are negotiating still. He said he thinks it will be Lee when all is said and done. Take that for what’s it’s worth. 

• Thanks 4

Great recap, the thing I found interesting was Elias mentioning the injured pitchers that were early first round talent and hoping one of them drops to the second pick.  Doesn’t sound like there will be any concern taking someone coming off an injury. 

Heard it too.   It was pretty practiced nothing, as the guy with his job likely should do.

I noted his observation "there was no historical great type player" this draft, but a week ahead of the draft I'm sure the GM with the 1-1 pick the Griffey-Strasburg-A-Rod years probably said about the same thing at this point.

He had the tidbit 2022 Orioles pool 2nd largest ever to 2015 Astros and its Aiken-inflated do over.   I'd noted the observation Bregman-Tucker might be one of the best 1-2 same draft punches ever (that hopefully Adley-Gunnar make a run at), but hadn't connected right away they came together thanks to the near $20mm Houston had that year.

Dillon Tate went between Bregman and Tucker that year.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I didn’t see anyone post anything so here are the tidbits:

They pressed him on having 5 players this close to the draft. He said 5 or more. After he left, Ben & Kevin were surprised by this.

Ben specifically said (after Elias left) in some words or less, that Johnson’s size gave him concerns as a 1:1.

Elias only stayed for a half an inning again. Last time he was on, it was a real quick inning so figured he would stay and talk more, he didn’t. My .02: Why can’t Elias talk to the fans more? Seems important. Is it that much trouble to talk to Kevin & Ben for more than a half inning?

Lastly, heard from someone I know that has known inside info previously (and been accurate). He said that Sig is running a lot of the draft and Lee is his guy. This person said they have Jones as best player “hands down” but are negotiating still. He said he thinks it will be Lee when all is said and done. Take that for what’s it’s worth. 

Hey now he did a Reddit AMA back in November of '19.  What more do you want?

Seems to me Elias gets interviewed, both on televised games and elsewhere, FAR more than MacPhail or Duquette ever did.  I have zero problem with the amount he makes himself available to the media.  

The tidbit from Nelson’s contact strikes me as possibly true.  I think that’s the second time today I’ve read something about Sig liking Lee.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Seems to me Elias gets interviewed, both on televised games and elsewhere, FAR more than MacPhail or Duquette ever did.  I have zero problem with the amount he makes himself available to the media.  

The tidbit from Nelson’s contact strikes me as possibly true.  I think that’s the second time today I’ve read something about Sig liking Lee.   

I think that when you present yourself as the type of media savvy person that would do an AMA you should continue to act in such a fashion once you are established in your position.

I feel he was presenting himself in a fashion that he hasn't lived up to.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that when you present yourself as the type of media savvy person that would do an AMA you should continue to act in such a fashion once you are established in your position.

I feel he was presenting himself in a fashion that he hasn't lived up to.

Oh, bullhockey.   He didn’t “present himself” as anything.  He did an AMA.  He didn’t do anything to imply that would be a regular practice.  Are you aware of any other GMs who have done multiple AMAs?   I mean, maybe there are some, but I haven’t heard about it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Said a couple of the guys are playing in summer leagues.  That can only be Collier and Johnson.  Maybe they actually got something out of him.  Collier might be one of the 5 after all.

I kinda like Collier more than Johnson. 

8 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

Great recap, the thing I found interesting was Elias mentioning the injured pitchers that were early first round talent and hoping one of them drops to the second pick.  Doesn’t sound like there will be any concern taking someone coming off an injury. 

Good to hear Elias might finally draft some pitching.  Can't outhit everyone.

6 hours ago, PHRESH said:

I kinda like Collier more than Johnson. 

100% You mean the great Johnson that struggles to make an accurate throw from the right side of SS and whose size is a concern that even Ben brought it up last night. If the Orioles select him 1:1 it would be an epic fail but hey, Elias needs to save money for more tan suits:)

• Upvote 1