Rosenthal: Os could be buyers and sellers

Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Snell is pitching exactly at replacement level right now (or slightly below).  Basically the same as Jordan Lyles.   If we want that level of production in 2023 I think we can get it for less than $16M.  Also Lyles has pitched far more innings so far this year.

You don’t get him and pay him because you think that’s the level he will continue to pitch at.

Snell represents an opportunity for a high upside arm, with ALE experience, that can seemingly be had for a minimal package, no real long term commitment and not that much money, especially considering how small the payroll is and will be next year.

He May not end up being worth it.  It’s a gamble but the chance is there and it’s not one a team like the Os, who will not pay for high end pitching, usually gets.

On top of that, it would be nice to see the team show that type of financial commitment. I have doubts they would do it just for that reason but would love to be proven wrong.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

That’s why I think we’d be better to get Bumgarner as a salary dump plus you have him this year and two more. I think Arizona would pay half of this years remaining ($6.5m) , half of next year ($13million), and we’d owe him the $14 million in 2024. You probably could get him for a couple of C prospects.

Not getting Ks, not missing bats, expensive for longer and much older.  No idea why you would want him.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you move Lopez if the offer is too good to pass up but I don’t think that offer comes, so I keep him.

Much more willing to move Tate because I think he’s pitching over his head.

I agree with this 110% And also Perez who has been lights out (what will the return be realistically though? Is it worth it?)

26 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Snell is pitching exactly at replacement level right now (or slightly below).  Basically the same as Jordan Lyles.   If we want that level of production in 2023 I think we can get it for less than $16M.  Also Lyles has pitched far more innings so far this year.

Yeah, I am not opposed to Snell but don’t get the love fest. 

14 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Yeah, I am not opposed to Snell but don’t get the love fest. 

3.41 xERA, 3.56FIP, 3.74 xFIP, 3.73 SIERA. In other words, his underlying peripherals suggest he has been significantly better than his 4.66 ERA. 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not getting Ks, not missing bats, expensive for longer and much older.  No idea why you would want him.

I'd rather Grayson Rodriguez and DL Hall emulate him than Blake Snell.    Some people seem to think you need to hire Robinson Chirinos and Rougned Odor so impressionable young ballplayers can know how to behave.

Some chance its sentiment, but I do have a gut feel Bumgarner isn't peacing out all the way into retirement, and there will be one more roar somewhere.     His is an unusual baseball life in that by the time he was the age Adley Rutschman will be next May, he had added a mountain of Championship Probablility a Hall of Famer would be lucky to get.   I don't think the '22-'23 Diamondbacks are going to be the vehicle for that though.

Even if he's just Jordan Lyles, it'd be fine.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I'd rather Grayson Rodriguez and DL Hall emulate him than Blake Snell.    Some people seem to think you need to hire Robinson Chirinos and Rougned Odor so impressionable young ballplayers can know how to behave.

Some chance its sentiment, but I do have a gut feel Bumgarner isn't peacing out all the way into retirement, and there will be one more roar somewhere.     His is an unusual baseball life in that by the time he was the age Adley Rutschman will be next May, he had added a mountain of Championship Probablility a Hall of Famer would be lucky to get.   I don't think the '22-'23 Diamondbacks are going to be the vehicle for that though.

Even if he's just Jordan Lyles, it'd be fine.

Odor is the guy that assaulted someone on National Television right?

I'd rather the team not emulate that behavior even if a lot of folks here thought his action laudable.

53 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Obviously you only pursue Snell if you think his production will be better than it’s been.  I note that his xERA is 3.41, compared to his actual ERA of 4.66.   So, there’s reason to think he could once again be a well above average starter.   If so, he’d be worth more than the $16 mm he’s due to be paid.  But, it’s a gamble.  Looks like his big problem the last two years has been walks.  Do the O’s think they can straighten that out?

I did want to address a point several people have asked: is the team willing to shell out $16 mm for any pitcher?  My answer is, they can very easily afford it.  The reason you cut payroll to the bone during a rebuild is so that you have payroll flexibility when the team is ready to compete.  The fact that payroll is bottom-shelf right now is not an indicator that the team won’t raise payroll in order to compete.   IMO, it’s the opposite of that.   The team has ample flexibility to make whatever additions Elias thinks are necessary.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Supposedly Odor is a likable fellow. And Bautista's slide was dirty as hell, he hit the ground after reaching second base.

I'm not defending Bautista but I'm not about to defend Odor's actions just because it was directed at Bautista.

If I had a child I wouldn't want them acting that way.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not defending Bautista but I'm not about to defend Odor's actions just because it was directed at Bautista.

If I had a child I wouldn't want them acting that way.

Meh, things happen on a baseball field and Bautista's actions were far more likely to cause a potential career threatening injury than Odor's.

If Odor had a history of incidents then I might be concerned, but from everything I have read he is an exemplary teammate.

That said, he is not a good enough baseball player at this point in his career and I would rather the Orioles DFA him and call up Vavra.

I contain multitudes.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Odor is the guy that assaulted someone on National Television right?

I'd rather the team not emulate that behavior even if a lot of folks here thought his action laudable.

Please, you're killing me.  LOL