Rutschman vs Witt

Filmstudy

40 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I would have been fine with Gunnar at 3B. He might be better there anyway. 

it occurred to me that there might be some ego problems going on? Adley was seen as the best thing to happen to the Os in 25 years. And then Gunnar came along and quickly supplanted him. The presidential T-Shirts sold earlier said “Gunnar Adley 2024” and not “Adley Gunnar” and it would be only human for that kind of demotion to have an effect on someone. Adley has much more WAr than Gunnar, and Gunnar’s has gone down since his lousy play became more common, but it’s clear to everyone that Gunnar is more valuable.

How much would that be a factor if it were “Witt Gunnar2024”?

All evidence suggests these guys are good friends and have excellent chemistry. They performed well together last year and most of this year. Gunnar exudes alpha dog personality but Adley seems just fine going with the flow. The simplest explanation for Adley's production is something physical, especially since we have seen him scratched and catching less. Ego would be at the absolute bottom of my list but you can make the facts fit any narrative, I suppose

It's human nature that some posters want to be: A) given credit for being right, or B) argue a point based on hindsight.  This thread is a combination of those things.  It's fine to point out a post before the draft showing that you wanted this guy, or that guy.  It feels like vindication when something you've said turns out well.  

With that said, I feel Adley was a great pick.  If someone else has a better career from the draft, that's cool too.  

22 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yeah for the Monday morning quarterbacks.  Did you want to tell us what free agents to sign June 1st 2025?

It's really not Monday morning quarterbacking all that hard. Witt went second overall behind Adley, and there was an extremely lively debate at the time as to which of the two the Orioles should take.

I'm fine with them having gone Adley both at the time and now. He's a plus MLB player at the most important position on the field, which is a win when you consider how many of the top players in the draft don't pan out whatsoever.

But it's perfectly fair to judge the organization for making that decision since the options were crystal clear even as it happened.

44 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

All evidence suggests these guys are good friends and have excellent chemistry. They performed well together last year and most of this year. Gunnar exudes alpha dog personality but Adley seems just fine going with the flow. The simplest explanation for Adley's production is something physical, especially since we have seen him scratched and catching less. Ego would be at the absolute bottom of my list but you can make the facts fit any narrative, I suppose

Oh, I wasn’t claiming it is true, just mentioning it as a possibility, and that it would be only human if it were a factor.

I’m not twisting facts and it is a stretch for anyone to suggest it, especially because I didn’t state it as anything other than speculation

5 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Oh, I wasn’t claiming it is true, just mentioning it as a possibility, and that it would be only human if it were a factor.

I’m not twisting facts and it is a stretch for anyone to suggest it, especially because I didn’t state it as anything other than speculation

Maybe not twisting facts, but you are positing things as true just because you think them. Such as: we have no clue if Adley wants to be a hero. I have never gotten that impression.

2 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Maybe not twisting facts, but you are positing things as true just because you think them. Such as: we have no clue if Adley wants to be a hero. I have never gotten that impression.

I am not saying these things are true. I am saying they are possible.

9 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I am not saying these things are true. I am saying they are possible.

It’s possible that Adley hates the game of baseball and wants to be a trucker and moonlight at karaoke bars, but his dad has trained him to do this from a young age and as much as he hates the game he loves his father and just wants to make him happy. He’s living a lie but will just keep struggling on. 

There, figured I’d throw my theory into the ring.

On 8/23/2024 at 11:14 AM, gamiliel said:

What? This is no contest...check back in two years. Holliday should be the much better hitter. 

Why would you think that? And why in 2 years? Merrill is only 21 years old. 

On 8/23/2024 at 10:52 AM, Bahama O's Fan said:

At the time, I wanted Witt, simply because a SS has a longer shelf life than a catcher. I got no problem with them taking Adley, but that's mostly because we got Gunnar. If we hadn't, it would be terrible to watch now. 

Sorry what's the logic that taking Gunnar depended on taking Adley? Why not Witt plus Gunnar?

BTW (not to you), what is the problem with "Monday morning quarterbacking"? Isn't that all we get to do, as fans not actual quarterbacks? :)

Edited by now