Thursday afternoon 8/18 Makeup Game: Orioles try to sweep season series from Cubs

SteveA

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

I think Melanie has some good moments and is decent at color commentary but the more I watch the more I think she just doesn't have enough baseball fluency to be a play by play announcer. 

She often uses baseball phrases differently or completely oppositely to their standard usage. She'll say "He chases one" when a batter whiffs on a ball down the middle, or "He turns on it" on a foul ball to the opposite field. 

Yeah. I do think she's trying, but I agree that she's about as far removed from the idea of "inside baseball" as it gets for a professional commentator.

2 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

Hays should be sent down.  

He's fallen off a cliff over the last couple of months, it's been really disappointing to see. I don't know if it's injuries or what, but continuing to run yourself out there is helping nobody. Hopefully a bad IQ play like that shines a brighter light on him and what his role should be moving forward.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was in the car for the bottom of the ninth and could tell from the radio if Hays made a base running mistake. Sounds like it was his fault getting doubled off 2B.

Hope the offense wakes up tomorrow against Boston. 

Mateo was a dead duck also. Nobody out it’s a triple play.  

31 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was in the car for the bottom of the ninth and could tell from the radio if Hays made a base running mistake. Sounds like it was his fault getting doubled off 2B.

I am out of town and had MLB network on.  They were killing Hays!  Not just when he got doubled up, but also not going 1st to 3rd on Mateo’s hit.  Replay showed Hays  started and stopped twice on Mateo’s hit.

Watching on TV, I thought there was no question that Mateo’s hit would have resulted in 1st and 3rd.  MLB network guys initially were jumping on Hyde because they thought he forgot to pinch run for some slow-poke.  Then they saw the replay, and were like “oh, Austin Hays can’t make that mistake.”  I thought the same thing.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

I think Melanie has some good moments and is decent at color commentary but the more I watch the more I think she just doesn't have enough baseball fluency to be a play by play announcer. 

She often uses baseball phrases differently or completely oppositely to their standard usage. She'll say "He chases one" when a batter whiffs on a ball down the middle, or "He turns on it" on a foul ball to the opposite field. 

Yes, you've nailed it.

The other day I was listening and the other team got a stolen base while the batter struck out.   She was doing play by play on the radio.

She never indicated the runner was going.   She said struck him out, then something about Chirinos throws to Vavra, and then said "the runner is aboard".   I had to put 2 and 2 together to realize that Chirinos to Vavra meant that there was a steal attempt, and that the runner is aboard meant the runner had stolen 2nd.   Usually "aboard" refers to a guy reaching base the first time, i.e, the batter, so it threw me off and I wondered if it was a dropped 3rd strike and the batter reached or something, for a few seconds until I was able to figure it out.   I don't believe she ever used the word steal or stolen base in her description, at least not until 10 or 15 seconds after the fact.   I had to puzzle it out myself.  

• Upvote 1