So this Sunday thing.......

vab

They need to get this figured out. Not only have they lost 7 out of the last 8 on Sundays but they've scored a grand total of 15 runs in those games. More than just a coincidence, especially for a team playing as well as they are overall. 

Robinson Chirinos has been getting frequent starts on Sundays at catcher in place of Adley. I don't think it's simple as that, but the Orioles season didn't take off until Adley joined the team.

And like what ORIOLE33 said for whatever reason Sundays have been a problem for years with the team (and most days of the week for that matter ni recent years). 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

I think it's three factors that are contributing to the Sunday slumps:

1) Chirinos' .556 OPS being added to the lineup in place of better hitters. 

2) Rutschman then moved to DH where he (so far) has been slightly less productive than when he catches. 

3) Chirinos not as skilled at handling the pitching staff, so a few more runs being given up. 

We've lost nine of the last twelve games where Chirinos has started behind the plate. Hard to believe that's a coincidence. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Do we have a problem with day games that are not on Sundays?

Orioles are 49-35 (.583) in night games and 22-27 (.449) in day games. I haven’t looked at the days of week for day games, but it would seem the non-Sunday day games aren’t an issue compared to Sunday’s.

I think it has to due with seeing Chirinos more often on Sundays in combination with some other starters getting a rest day for a less impressive bench player. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Orioles are 49-35 (.583) in night games and 22-27 (.449) in day games. I haven’t looked at the days of week for day games, but it would seem the non-Sunday day games aren’t an issue compared to Sunday’s.

I think it has to due with seeing Chirinos more often on Sundays in combination with some other starters getting a rest day for a less impressive bench player. 

I wish Hyde can figure out this problem?

Adley has actually caught more Sunday games than Chirinos since he was called up.  But the O's are 5-4 on Sundays when Adley is catching, versus only 1-6 when Chirinos is catching.  In the last 8 Sundays, the O's are 1-7 overall, and 0-5 in games started by Chirinos.   

Overall the O's are 14-16 in games started by Chirinos since May 21.  Oddly enough, they went 1-6 overall in August with Chirinos starting, even though he hit .400 in August.  Small samples sure are fun!  

Chirinos' appearances in recent weeks have been correlated with other bench players like Nevin getting into the lineup, so it wouldn't be fair to put all the blame on Chirinos.  

Small sample caveats aside, a pattern has emerged, and for team psychology if for no other reason it would be wise for Hyde to mix things up--play Chirinos on some Saturday nights and let Adley play on some Sundays.   

I also think that for the stretch run, it would make sense to play Chirinos less overall.  Chirinos probably won't play in the postseason if we get that far--why not ramp up Adley's workload a little now?  

7 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Small sample caveats aside, a pattern has emerged, and for team psychology if for no other reason it would be wise for Hyde to mix things up--play Chirinos on some Saturday nights and let Adley play on some Sundays.   

I also think that for the stretch run, it would make sense to play Chirinos less overall.  Chirinos probably won't play in the postseason if we get that far--why not ramp up Adley's workload a little now?  

And then they'll probably start losing more on Saturdays. It makes sense for AR to get Sunday off since its almost always a day game following a night game. They just need to upgrade at backup catcher. 

17 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I don’t know what it is about Sunday’s, but this has been a problem for years. 

I’d love know the winning percentage when Chirinos catches post Adley being called up. Chirinos is not a good player on either side of the ball. Offers next to nothing offensively. I don’t believe he catches many runners or has a plus in the pitch framing.