Watkins down ….not Hall

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

He's not.  He's getting mlb experience for several kids so they'll be better acclimated next season.  If he was trying to win now, he'd have kept Trey and Lopez and probably added a vet or two.  

I understand the deadline moves where the goal was not this season. But, roster moves that ultimately hurt the team this year are dumb. He has already cost a loss, and considerably lowered the win probability in a second game by giving up 3 runs when we trailed by only one. Don’t remember for sure but I believe it was in the 7th.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I understand the deadline moves where the goal was not this season. But, roster moves that ultimately hurt the team this year are dumb. He has already cost a loss, and considerably lowered the win probability in a second game by giving up 3 runs when we trailed by only one. Don’t remember for sure but I believe it was in the 7th.

And Watkins got shelled Sunday by a terrible Oakland team.  And has an ERA over 5.5 over the past month.  And the team has lost his last 6 starts.  Not all his fault obviously but if we're going to call out Hall's bad games you need to call out Watkins as well.

He's not good.  Great story and glad he's had some pockets of success.  Give me the high upside bullpen guy for the rest of the season even if he's a bit inconsistent, not to mention that this gives Hall good experience for future seasons.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

But right now he’s more valuable than Hall who has trouble throwing strikes

Watkins at home is probably ok b/c it's impossible to hit a home run to left field now. I appreciate that he doesn't walk guys. But the combination of his lack of swing and miss stuff and propensity to throw strikes with it, he's going to be beaten about the head and shoulders with frequency against good offensive teams. I just prefer guys with better stuff.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Watkins at home is probably ok b/c it's impossible to hit a home run to left field now. I appreciate that he doesn't walk guys. But the combination of his lack of swing and miss stuff and propensity to throw strikes with it, he's going to be beaten about the head and shoulders with frequency against good offensive teams. I just prefer guys with better stuff.

And Hall will struggle with control …give up walks, and groove pitches when he gets behind causing him to get shellacked.

I’m not down on Hall or his potential he’s just not ready. Boy does he have a ton of white knights here! So much so that we can’t even been honest with ourselves.

19 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

And Hall will struggle with control …give up walks, and groove pitches when he gets behind causing him to get shellacked.

I’m not down on Hall or his potential he’s just not ready. Boy does he have a ton of white knights here! So much so that we can’t even been honest with ourselves.

I think we're being very honest with ourselves.  I'm one of the biggest fans of Hall's on the board, but I said a few weeks back that I wouldn't bring him up now.  He's just not in a spot where realistically I think he can help the club.  However, I do think there's a lot of value for 2023 with Hall getting this experience now.

My opinion on Hall vs. Watkins says a lot more about what I think about Watkins than it does Hall.  Watkins isn't good.

Edited by glenn__davis

I agree that Hall was not ready or at least appeared not to be ready.   Just very inconsistent and yet I wouldn't have been surprised if he had come up and worked himself into being an integral part of the bullpen.  He's close.   You could see it in his first appearance.   You could see it in a stretch of starts down at Norfolk in the beginning of July.   When he's on, he's on.   I wouldn't be surprised if he's very inconsistent the rest of the month but I'll root for him to be lights out in every appearance just so we can needle Tide.

• Upvote 1