MLB competition committee to vote on rule changes Friday

ShoelesJoe

2 pickoffs per PA is ludicrous.  That basically means you can only make 1 pickoff and if you make a second one you better be 100% sure you're picking him off.  If you use your 2 pickoffs what's to stop the runner from taking a 25 foot lead?

I think the pitch clock with bases empty should pass.  I think you should get as many throws to first as you want, and if you have less than 8 seconds  on the pitch clock it resets to 8 when you make a pickoff.

3 hours ago, Hallas said:

2 pickoffs per PA is ludicrous.  That basically means you can only make 1 pickoff and if you make a second one you better be 100% sure you're picking him off.  If you use your 2 pickoffs what's to stop the runner from taking a 25 foot lead?

I think the pitch clock with bases empty should pass.  I think you should get as many throws to first as you want, and if you have less than 8 seconds  on the pitch clock it resets to 8 when you make a pickoff.

If the pitcher even steps off 2 times, why wouldn’t you just take off for second as soon as he stepped back on the rubber?  He might as well just pitch out of the wind up at that point if he can’t step off.  You definitely would have a lot more players trying to coax throws over or get the pitcher to step off. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

How much time in a game do pickoff throws take up?  That is a silly rule.

First off it isn't just above speeding up the game, they want to encourage stolen base attempts as they feel it is an exciting play.

Secondly I've watched games in which a pitcher has thrown over enough for it to be noticeable and unwanted.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

First off it isn't just above speeding up the game, they want to encourage stolen base attempts as they feel it is an exciting play.

Secondly I've watched games in which a pitcher has thrown over enough for it to be noticeable and unwanted.

Lots of things happen if you watch enough games.  Doesn’t mean you change the rule because it happens once in a while.  

I don’t even care if you limit it but 2 is just stupid.

Edited by Sports Guy

5 hours ago, Hallas said:

To be clear, you can make two pickoff throws without penalty.   If you mske a third and do not pick off the runner, a ball is called.   I think it’s fine but wonder if it will have the opposite effect intended, I:e. runners who normally wouldn’t will be attempting to draw throws, thereby slowing the game down. They’ve been doing this in the minors, so I guess MLB has decided that won’t happen.

I went to two Bowie games, and liked the pitch clock.  I’ve read that the MiL players and coaches like it too.

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, you can make two pickoff throws without penalty.   If you mske a third and do not pick off the runner, a ball is called.   I think it’s fine but wonder if it will have the opposite effect intended, I:e. runners who normally wouldn’t will be attempting to draw throws, thereby slowing the game down. They’ve been doing this in the minors, so I guess MLB has decided that won’t happen.

I went to two Bowie games, and liked the pitch clock.  I’ve read that the MiL players and coaches like it too.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any fan that doesn't like the idea of the pitch clock.

I like the rule changes for the most part,  though I'm not sure I love eliminating the shift.   As a fan I hate when my team hits into the shift for an easy out, but it still burns me up that hitters don't take advantage of the shift by bunting more and the like.  But it should increase offense, scoring and entertaining plays, and that's the goal.  The greatest help to both time of play issues and offense would be to fix the strike zone, including replacing umps that can't call it right or better yet let technology take over there IMO.

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I like the rule changes for the most part,  though I'm not sure I love eliminating the shift.   As a fan I hate when my team hits into the shift for an easy out, but it still burns me up that hitters don't take advantage of the shift by bunting more and the like.  But it should increase offense, scoring and entertaining plays, and that's the goal.  The greatest help to both time of play issues and offense would be to fix the strike zone, including replacing umps that can't call it right or better yet let technology take over there IMO.

I think the main thing eliminating the shift will do is appease those that have been complaining about the shift.

I think it's a net loss for the game as it takes away an element of strategy but the in game impact won't be significant.

Chris Davis' problem wasn't the shift.

Pitch clock is much needed. Games are too long. The shift ban is pretty dramatic. But I guess they've decided batting averages have been lowered too much partly due to the shift.

This is about bringing the style and pace of game back to the 1980's, which isnt the worst idea. 

32 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Pitch clock is much needed. Games are too long. The shift ban is pretty dramatic. But I guess they've decided batting averages have been lowered too much partly due to the shift.

This is about bringing the style and pace of game back to the 1980's, which isnt the worst idea. 

So is a hitters' clock. The hitters take as much or more time getting ready for a pitch. There is no reason that batters have to step out of the box to adjust their batting gloves after each pitch they take. The simple solution for that is to ban batting gloves. Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, Williams, Mays and numerous other great hitters did just fine without batting gloves. And has anyone else ever noticed the routine JD Martinez goes through after every pitch not put in play?

There was a rule that batters had to keep one foot in the batter's box if they took a pitch. Apparently the fine was low enough that guys like Adam Jones thought it was OK to back out of the box and go half way to the third base dugout after taking a pitch. If the rule is still in place, the penalty should be an automatic strike call. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Lots of things happen if you watch enough games.  Doesn’t mean you change the rule because it happens once in a while.  

I don’t even care if you limit it but 2 is just stupid.

Do you enjoy watching throws to first base?

Do you know anyone that enjoys watching throws to first base?

13 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

The idea of having two guys on either side of second doesn't bother me as much as the "both feet on the dirt" aspect. If Mateo wants to back up into the grass to set up I want him to be able to do that without the fear of a ball being called on the pitcher. And it's reviewable...that'll certainly speed up the game. 

Also, not allowing IFs to switch positions is kinda silly. I don't really care that they can or can't it just doesn't really make sense to make a rule about it. I can understand not switching during an AB but if for some reason you want to swap SS/2B between batters, I don't know what issue that causes. 

With the bigger bases and limited pickoff/rule, combined with the pitch clock, Adley better be working on his throwing arm in the offseason because everyone from Mateo to Batolo Colon is going to be thinking about stealing bases. Buck Showalter is sitting in his dugout somewhere thinking "My TTP lectures are finally being validated, I knew it all along..."

Alot of these are seemingly finding solutions to problems that don't exist. 

2 hours ago, panick said:

So is a hitters' clock. The hitters take as much or more time getting ready for a pitch. There is no reason that batters have to step out of the box to adjust their batting gloves after each pitch they take. The simple solution for that is to ban batting gloves. Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, Williams, Mays and numerous other great hitters did just fine without batting gloves. And has anyone else ever noticed the routine JD Martinez goes through after every pitch not put in play?

There was a rule that batters had to keep one foot in the batter's box if they took a pitch. Apparently the fine was low enough that guys like Adam Jones thought it was OK to back out of the box and go half way to the third base dugout after taking a pitch. If the rule is still in place, the penalty should be an automatic strike call. 

There is a hitter’s clock.  Batter has to be in the box and ready when the clock has 8 seconds left.  And I agree that’s just as impactful as the pitcher’s clock, maybe more so.