When do we start blaming the hitting coaches?

Moose Milligan

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The away offense has been slightly worse than at home. 

I see a team that lacks a really good RHH. Mateo, Urias, Hays are not identical players but they don’t get on base at a high clip. Mountcastle still has upside but plate discipline gets in the way. 

This is a real issue and one I hope we address in the offseason. Santander has hit well from the right side, but I would love to be able to put another strong right-handed bat in the middle of the order. At the beginning of the year, we added Odor partially because of the need of a left-handed bat. With Rutschman, Stowers and now Henderson up (not to mention Vavra), that pushes the need the other way. Mateo is a fun to player to watch, but his speed and defense are his primary tools and he's a bottom of the order bat. I like Urias a bit, he's a league average hitter with solid defense and versatility. The fact he's spent some time as high as the cleanup spot is telling. And as for Mountcastle, he's regressed this year (113 OPS+ to 102). I'd like to see Mountcastle improve and look more like the guy that raked in a SSS in 2020 that would go a long ways in helping improve the team, particularly against southpaws. But, I don't think we can count on that. 

In some ways, 1B may be the best place to add someone. While I would ultimately love to add Trea Turner, it doesn't make much sense given the cost and the fact we have Henderson, Mateo, Urias, Westburg, Ortiz, Vavra, Norby, Mayo, etc. all as possible infield options over the next 2 years. Unless we use several of those pieces to acquire a top tier starter, we probably use most of our financial resources on pitching. 

All I'll say is that at this time last year, I was extremely concerned about our pitching coaching and pitcher development.   Mid level prospects like Kremer and Akin were coming up and not just not having great success, but in many cases being absolutely terrible.   It was my  number one concern a year ago.

Now, I couldn't be happier with the pitching coaching and pitcher development.

What a difference a year makes.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol, were you here for the Terry Crowley days?

I know what you’re talking about even though I was lurker then, and maybe I’m way off base thing the average OH poster knows better these days. 

You could have the best hitting coach in the world, but it’s on hitters like Mountcastle and Hays to change their approach at the plate. Maybe they can improve their plate discipline, but it’s hard to overwrite muscle memory from thousands of at bats during their career. 

Not saying it isn’t possible, but most free swinging hitters aren’t going to develop even half the batting eye of Rutschman. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I know what you’re talking about even though I was lurker then, and maybe I’m way off base thing the average OH poster knows better these days. 

You could have the best hitting coach in the world, but it’s on hitters like Mountcastle and Hays to change their approach at the plate. Maybe they can improve their plate discipline, but it’s hard to overwrite muscle memory from thousands of at bats during their career. 

Not saying it isn’t possible, but most free swinging hitters aren’t going to develop even half the batting eye of Rutschman. 

I agree with all of it.  I'm just stirring up ****.  

Because, like I said, if this keeps on going, people are going to start looking at the hitting coaches.  

• Upvote 1

Situational Hitting!!!!!!!!!  Ben even mentioned it as a year long problem during the Toronto series. And as Hyder says but often doesn't see, "professional at bats!"

It's been a surprising year but one with the frustration of too many times where runners were left stranded in scoring position with less than two outs. I'm not ready to blame these coaches - yet.

We have two rookies  that are the template to build around. Spend wisely and build! If next year is a repeat, then..............

We are labeling these guys as free swingers without plate discipline.  But Hays was a good hitter for almost the first three months.   On June 27th he was was hitting  287/345/489/834.  

So did he just forget how to hit in the second half?  No it probably is a combination of injuries that changed his swing and the league adjusting to him.  Remember the other teams have analytics too and its meant to stop our guys from continuing to beat them.

Mullins was a All Star 30/30 guy last year.  What?  Did he forget how to hit this year?  Especially lefties.   2021 he had a 878 OPS including 788 OPS vs lefties.  This season his OPS is 728 with a 562 OPS vs lefties.    No.  Its the league adjusting to him and pitching him differently.    

With both these players the coaches can help them adjust but there is a lot more going on here than what the pitching coaches do.

Edited by wildcard

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think injuries are the reason Hays hacks at everything.  Might just be me.

Considering that he has injured both wrists several times in the 2nd half he may be making adjustments to try to overcome the weakness in the wrists.   But I don't really know how serious that is.    Hyde keeps playing him because of what he adds to the O's defense.   JMO

Now if Hyde had other left fielders that had  Hays' defensive ability and his offense potential then Hays might go on the IL.   But right now they don't.   Maybe Cowser sometime next year.   Or maybe if they decide that Westburg has the speed, arm and offensive ability to match Hays, Westburg could be a backup LF to Hays.  It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Edited by wildcard