Detroit Rock(ed) City

clutch2113

So, we're 0-5 against Detroit so far this year. 

I know its silly to pick and choose games in a season to play what-if, but man - that team stinks and if we were 5-0 instead of 0-5 we'd be tied for the 3rd Wildcard spot right now.  Even if we had taken 2 out of those 5 we'd be in the conversation. 

Edited by clutch2113
Clarified 3rd Wild Card Spot

Said this the other day... THREE key inexcusable devastating games/moments that had they gone the other way, the orioles would be right in the race:

1. Win the make up game vs the Cubs.

2. Finish the sweep of the lowly A's a few Sundays ago.

3. Just go 5-1 against the crappy Tigers.

That's a 7-1 vs 0-8 (I am assuming they lose tonight because what have we seen to suggest otherwise) which is a 7 game flip. I know hindsight 20-20 but had they just handled their business there we'd be right in the race.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dtk9119 said:

Said this the other day... THREE key inexcusable devastating games/moments that had they gone the other way, the orioles would be right in the race:

1. Win the make up game vs the Cubs.

2. Finish the sweep of the lowly A's a few Sundays ago.

3. Just go 5-1 against the crappy Tigers.

That's a 7-1 vs 0-8 (I am assuming they lose tonight because what have we seen to suggest otherwise) which is a 7 game flip. I know hindsight 20-20 but had they just handled their business there we'd be right in the race.

I would add to your list:

4. The 2 consecutive blown saves by Jorge Lopez in Minnesota. Those were games we absolutely should have won.

21 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

I would add to your list:

4. The 2 consecutive blown saves by Jorge Lopez in Minnesota. Those were games we absolutely should have won.

We have blown so few saves this year, it’s not really fair to single out the ones we did blow.  

• Upvote 3

This stings.  And I know that on any given night, any team can beat a better team.  

But if we're looking at this Orioles team as a good team, or even a merely competent team, losing 5 games to the Tigers and getting beat by the A's is pretty inexcusable.  A good team should take 2-3 from the Tigers and A's in each series.  Again, I'm aware that it doesn't always work that way but I think at least a split against the Tigers should be something we could have accomplished.  

I don't want to say this team is in a tailspin because they've outperformed practically every prediction anyone ever had for them before this season, but the way they've played over the past two weeks has been disappointing.  I mean, Patrick Corbin looked good against us, FFS.  And now we're looking at another sweep against the Tigers?  It's not what you want to see from a team who you perceive as "up and coming."

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't want to say this team is in a tailspin because they've outperformed practically every prediction anyone ever had for them before this season, but the way they've played over the past two weeks has been disappointing.  I mean, Patrick Corbin looked good against us, FFS.  And now we're looking at another sweep against the Tigers?  It's not what you want to see from a team who you perceive as "up and coming."

It really feels like the offense is pressing.   There was a point in the year where even if we fell behind, it felt like the team would make its move eventually.  Now it feels like any deficit is insurmountable.  And, we are rarely putting up runs in the early innings.   

Hipefully tonight will be different.  

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It really feels like the offense is pressing.   There was a point in the year where even if we fell behind, it felt like the team would make its move eventually.  Now it feels like any deficit is insurmountable.  And, we are rarely putting up runs in the early innings.   

They’re totally pressing and popping everything up. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

A little better, thanks to Castro’s shaky defense.