Orioles intend to sign lease

Going Underground

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The one thing that makes me think it’s not the lease is the presence of the CollegeBound Foundation.  

Yea, I’m guessing this has nothing to do with the lease.

The mayors presence, it being on MLK day (and that being mentioned in the press release) make me think it’s more on the lines of an HBCU type thing or something for the African American community.  Just a guess though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The mayors presence, it being on MLK day (and that being mentioned in the press release) make me think it’s more on the lines of an HBCU type thing or something for the African American community.  Just a guess though.

Agreed.Since the funding for the stadium is from the state you would expect the Governor and the MSA to be on hand for a lease signing. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But at least if the Orioles are involved somehow it indicates an attempt to continue to be part of the community for the long term.   It doesn't seem to me that the team has been involved in as many things like that as the Ravens have, and hopefully will be another indication that there is no hidden agenda involving a move to Nashville as some people fear.

Sort of on the same topic, did you notice a Purple Pride Jersey giveaway on the promotions schedule?   Is this actually some sort of cross promotion with the Ravens?   We haven't seen much of that in the past, other than the occasional Raven-related first-pitch-thrower-outer.   (And no, I do not believe the Purple Pride thing is in any way LGBTQ related, because there is a separate LBGTQ+ Pride night on the promotion schedule).

51 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Agreed.Since the funding for the stadium is from the state you would expect the Governor and the MSA to be on hand for a lease signing. 

The Governor is busy appearing on MSNBC and trying to get his presidential polling above 1%.  (Sorry, couldn’t resist a dig.)

Did the Ravens have a press conference for renewing their lease? Would be kinda hard to have a press conference about the Orioles re-investing in Baltimore without signaling that you intend to have a team here for the foreseeable future. 

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

On Roch's blog today he said there will be a press conference involving the mayor and John Angelos later today.

Presumably the lease will be a topic.

I find it hard to believe holding this on MLK day is a coincidence. This is who is joining them at the presser.  https://www.collegeboundfoundation.org

I don’t think this has anything to do with the lease. I assume it’s possible the media asks him about it today. 

On 1/13/2023 at 3:32 PM, LTO's said:

Did the Ravens have a press conference for renewing their lease? Would be kinda hard to have a press conference about the Orioles re-investing in Baltimore without signaling that you intend to have a team here for the foreseeable future. 

Ravens made a statement after the state approved the lease.

Ravens President Sashi Brown attended a meeting Wednesday of the state Board of Public Works, which approved the deal. He said the team is committed to enhancing fans’ experience and investing in Baltimore and Maryland. He said the team was not ready to announce specific renovation details, but most of them should be complete for the 2024 season.

“We want to make sure that we continue to be that beacon for the community and beyond,” Brown said in an interview after the board’s vote. “What we do on the field also invests off the field, which we’ve done — tens of millions of dollars invested in the greater Baltimore community. So I think that’s what the community is getting. It’s incredibly important and vital for the Ravens. It’s a core part of our mission to be a good steward, not only just a great football team on the field

9 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Can we get that in writing? 

John Angelos didn’t want to detract from today’s announcement by discussing baseball too much, but asked about the lease situation, he said, “We’re not going anywhere.”

There was also this wonderful quote. 

Asked by

about the Orioles’ ownership situation amid his family’s legal battle, John Angelos told him to get some perspective and that he wouldn’t discuss that on MLK Day. He welcomed reporters to come back next week and go over the organization’s financials.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

There was also this wonderful quote. 

Asked by

about the Orioles’ ownership situation amid his family’s legal battle, John Angelos told him to get some perspective and that he wouldn’t discuss that on MLK Day. He welcomed reporters to come back next week and go over the organization’s financials.

Maybe if you pay him for a speaking engagement you can ask questions. 

Speaking, Events and Appearances | APB Speakers
https://www.apbspeakers.com/speaker/john-angelos/

• Haha 1