Any chance MacPhail becomes a buyer as prices drop?

Frobby

All signs are that Andy MacPhail is holding tightly to his wallet this winter. But I'm amazed at how many free agents remain on the market. Roch posted a list today and I can never remember this many decent free agents being on the market after New Year's. That makes me think that prices really are going to drop significantly, as some have predicted. So, does Andy become a buyer once the price of some mid-level free agent drops? Or will he continue holding on to his wallet?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love that, not so much for the moves themselves, but for the large portions of crow that would be served up by the people implying or stating outright that he's a dawdling do-nothing pawn of the penny-pinching bossman who doesn't know diddly about baseball.

(you know, despite grandpa & daddy having plaques in the HOF)

Nevertheless, I doubt the O's jump into the market too tough. I just don't see this off-season as the right time with regards to their big picture plan.

I'd love that, not so much for the moves themselves, but for the large portions of crow that would be served up by the people implying or stating outright that he's a dawdling do-nothing pawn of the penny-pinching bossman who doesn't know diddly about baseball.

Nevertheless, I doubt the O's jump into the market too tough. I just don't see this off-season as the right time with regards to their big picture plan.

I agree with all of this.

I understand how MacPhail wants to stick to the "plan" but when Pat the Bat is signing for 2yrs18mil (usually the market would of been 4yrs 50-55 for Burrell) and there are many solid/good free agents left on the market including Dunn, Sheets it's time to get some players on this team without breaking the bank

this year instead of overpaying for a solid player with the exception of someone like A.J. Burnett, you're going to get more bang for your buck so to say

look at:

Francisco Rodriguez on a $37 million, three-year contract

Brian Fuentes two-year, $17.5 million contract with a club option for 2011

compared to:

Billy Wagner Mets' four-year, $43 million contract and Wagner was 35 when he signed compared to the younger age of K-Rod

MacPhail: open up the checkbook because there are good/solid players in the discount bin!

I think if you can get Dunn for a reasonable 4-year deal or Sheets for a reasonable 3-year one, those would be moves that would help us accelerate the rebuild a bit and not really have much potential for hurting us down the road.

Well, everybody supposedly wants him to "be smart" and "buy low"... except for a very few fans who want the roster set by January.

I just don't see MacPhail spending much money. Sheet could drop to 2/20 and MacPhail wouldn't budge. His top end is 1/4 or 2/8. If he can get a Wigginton, Hinske, a Japanesse pitcher or two, maybe a Redding then he could go for it. A catcher for next to nothing is likely. These are all stop gaps.

I think the trades are much better opportunities for MacPhail. The problem with FAs is that when they drop to the level that the O's are interested, then several other teams will be interested also. Last place teams don't win in that situation.

I think if you can get Dunn for a reasonable 4-year deal or Sheets for a reasonable 3-year one, those would be moves that would help us accelerate the rebuild a bit and not really have much potential for hurting us down the road.

To me, these would be fabulous moves. I'd also like to see Uehara signed as well.

All signs are that Andy MacPhail is holding tightly to his wallet this winter. But I'm amazed at how many free agents remain on the market. Roch posted a list today and I can never remember this many decent free agents being on the market after New Year's. That makes me think that prices really are going to drop significantly, as some have predicted. So, does Andy become a buyer once the price of some mid-level free agent drops? Or will he continue holding on to his wallet?
I've been thinking the exact same thing. I would hope so especially with SP and Dunn.

Folks, you have to make the connection between the economy and your ball team. Burrell for 2 years at $16 million is a "cheap" price if this were last year. This year, it's all he can get. Owners are much poorer today than they were last year or the year before or the year before or.....

The Red Sox haven't spent any money. The Blue Jays haven't spent any money. The White Sox have cut a lot of salary. The Cubs had to cut salary to sign a FA. The Angels payroll is much lower. In a normal year, teams would be falling over themselves to sign Derek Lowe -- a solid, reliable pitcher with good playoff experience. This year he has exactly one team interested. No one wants Manny Ramirez who is a legit MVP candidate.

Stop complaining that the Orioles are cheap. No one has any money!!!! It's the economy, stupid (said with affection).

That would be a smile.:laughlol: But hey, just because your grandpa & daddy having plaques in the HOF doesn't mean you know more about baseball than SG.:P

Folks, you have to make the connection between the economy and your ball team. Burrell for 2 years at $16 million is a "cheap" price if this were last year. This year, it's all he can get. Owners are much poorer today than they were last year or the year before or the year before or.....

The Red Sox haven't spent any money. The Blue Jays haven't spent any money. The White Sox have cut a lot of salary. The Cubs had to cut salary to sign a FA. The Angels payroll is much lower. In a normal year, teams would be falling over themselves to sign Derek Lowe -- a solid, reliable pitcher with good playoff experience. This year he has exactly one team interested. No one wants Manny Ramirez who is a legit MVP candidate.

Stop complaining that the Orioles are cheap. No one has any money!!!! It's the economy, stupid (said with affection).

The only thing that I think you miss here, is that the Orioles are guaranteed to make $130M in revenue. They have very little risk. As long as they don't spend so ridiculously as to have that amount not be able to cover their expenses, they cannot lose money.

I don't know what their exact spending would be and how much more than just the team's payroll it is, but I'd have a hard time believing we can't afford an extra $20-30M on top of what we've already got this year, if its spent smartly.

The truth comes out finally.

Great post.

Archived