Getting to know Kodai Senga

Just Regular

3 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

So the breaking ball is not a strength. Do the O's have the wherewithal to fix his cutter or slider so that he has an effective third pitch? Seems like a thing that the pitching gurus have done before. 101 mph with and effective splitter and third pitch to keep guys off the FB could be worth a 4/$80M investment. I'm not sure he's worth that contract with just 2 MLB caliber pitches, however.

The other issue is workload. 124 innings is not a ton and he is not build like a prototypical starter. 

I think another question is if he'd be willing to change or have his pitches "fixed". He's been pitching in the NPB since he was 19 and has been wildly successful with his arsenal, including winning the Olympic Gold Medal over the US team. It can be hard to convince someone who has been good to try something different while doing so at the pinnacle of competition. The language barrier can make it even tougher. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't count on that if you're giving someone $80mm. I want to pay him for what he currently has, and hope for even better.

Edited by CharmCityHokie
  • Upvote 1

From David Laurila:

Matt Moore played with Senga in 2020, so I asked the 33-year-old Texas Rangers southpaw what he recalls about his former teammate’s overpowering arsenal.

“I couldn’t tell you pitch-grade stuff,” said Moore, “but I feel like every pitch he threw seemed plus, because of the swings that he would get on them — the type of domination he had. Hitters were swinging at pitches that were landing in front of the plate, and they were taking balls that were painted in the zone. His first pitch of the game, he would throw at 161 kilometers, which is about 100-101 [mph], and he carried that velocity really well. He’s a beast. Senga was probably the best ace I saw over there.”

• Upvote 3

• 4 months later...