What will the O's off season moves be?

wildcard

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I misses the report of Clevinger partying that hurt his team.  Can you provide a link?

He was involved with Plesac. Here is one with comments from Adam Plutko https://factoryofsadness.co/2020/08/12/cleveland-indians-need-suspend-mike-clevinger-zach-plesac/

Passan says he flew back with the team (Plesac drove home)

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/indians-mike-clevinger-went-out-zach-plesac-chicago-sent-quarantine

Clevinger demoted as a result. Apparently there was a video where he and Plesac were less than apologetic:

https://sports.yahoo.com/indians-send-down-clevinger-plesac-virus-blunder-221630802--mlb.html

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

You think picking the Powerball numbers is hard?  Its got nothing of pick the O's moves this off season.   Here are my guesses.

Lyles:  O's decline the option but say they may pursue him in FA.

Abreu:  2/35 plus an option to play DH/1B.  Because he has shown he can hit well as a DH.  His career DH splits are 290/352/493/843. His 2022 DH splits were 330/412/478/891.  

Just because a player can hit does not mean he hits well as a DH.  Remember Mark Trumbo?   His career OPS as a RFer 862.  As a DH 695.   Mountcastle career DH OPS is 733/ 2022 DH OPS 592.  Santander career DH OPS 704/ 2022 DH OPS 642. Pederson career DH OPS 616/ 2022 DH OPS 616.

Clevinger:  2/31 plus an option. He has career numbers that are less hits than inning pitched, and more strikeout than innings pitched.  He had a 4.33 ERA and a 1.198 WHIP in 2022 on his first season back from TJ surgery.   I think Holt and the O's physical trainers can get him back to his career 3.39 ERA and a 1.188 WHIP.

Backup Catcher:  Waiting for the non tenders.  I want someone who hit lefties and is a good defensive catcher.

I’m going Correa, Madison Bumgarner,  and Syndergaard

My #1 priority for the Orioles this offseason is to sign a top line starter (doesn't need to be an ace but a solid #3 with #2 potential, someone who could start a playoff game). 

I wouldn't like another bat, but I don't think you need to pay the premium one of the shortstops will command. A Josh Bell or Nimmo type would fit well. 

I'm also hoping that the Orioles lock up some of their own young talent long term 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, seak05 said:

My #1 priority for the Orioles this offseason is to sign a top line starter (doesn't need to be an ace but a solid #3 with #2 potential, someone who could start a playoff game). 

I wouldn't like another bat, but I don't think you need to pay the premium one of the shortstops will command. A Josh Bell or Nimmo type would fit well. 

I'm also hoping that the Orioles lock up some of their own young talent long term 

Isn’t Lyles a solid #3? 

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say Lyles would be fine as a no. 5.   Below average ERA but helps the bullpen stay fresh.  On a good team, a no. 3 needs to have an above average ERA.

Agree with this.  But if there are better starters available Elias should get one instead.

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say Lyles would be fine as a no. 5.   Below average ERA but helps the bullpen stay fresh.  On a good team, a no. 3 needs to have an above average ERA.

Gotcha …. I thought Lyles was very competitive in many of his starts. I seem to remember a few really bad outings. I m sure not all 4.4 eras are created equal. If a guy gives you 7 out of ten starts gives you 6+ and 3 runs or less and the other 3 are bad is much better than the guy that gives you 4-5 runs in 6 innings every start. I check bbref to see if I could locate his QS stat.