What would you do this offseason?

NJOriolesFan

What would everybody do this offseason?

1.  I would sign Justin Verlander.  Elias was with Houston when they brought Verlander in.  Maybe there is a connection.  He is the Ace pitcher to bring in this year.

2.  Trade Mountcastle and Tate to the Marlins for Pablo Lopez and Sixto Sanchez.

3.  Sign Seth Lugo and Will Smith for the bullpen.  Shouldn't cost a ton but will solidify the bullpen.

4.  Sign Josh Bell to play 1st base.  Switch hitter with pop and on base ability.

Rotation:

Verlander, Lopez, Rodriguez, Bradish, Kremer/Means (when ready).  Keep Verlander and Lopez on 5 man rotation but the other guys swing between rotation/bullpen with guys like Lugo/Hall/Voth/Wells to lessen the innings burden, especially when Means gets back.

Bullpen:

Bautista, Perez, Lugo, Smith, Baker, Akin, Hall/Voth/Wells/Khrebel (these guys can be swing-men)

Lineup:

cf-Mullins

lf-Hays

3b-Henderson

C-Rutschman

1b-Bell

dh-Santander

rf-Stowers

2b-Urias

ss-Mateo

I would prefer to trade Urias and/or Mateo and/or Hays and/or Santander for one better high quality hitter with Ortiz, Vavra, Westburg, Cowser and perhaps Kjerstad on the horizon.   The offensive improvement comes from full seasons of Rutschman & Henderson and Bell over Mountcastle and potential trades around break if the prospects are ready.  I'd love to take a chance on somebody like Bellinger or Gallo who may benefit from the new shift rules.

It's kind of pointless to speculate since we have no idea whether the free agents will sign or Marlins want Mountcastle. I would look to improve our pitching and maybe add a bat but there are a lot of moving parts. I would certainly look to trade Hays and Urias but most likely for prospects. 

If we are allowed to fantasize, I'd go after Woodruff, offering pretty much anyone outside of our top three.

9 minutes ago, NJOriolesFan said:

Ok then no Sanchez.  Or change Mountcastle for Santander or Hays, still no Sanchez.

I think to get Lopez it's going to be tough to just do a straightup Urias or Mountcastle for Lopez.   I think they are going to want at lease one offensive prospect back.    Now, Sanchez has a ton of upside so he'd be interesting although he may never pitch for the team getting him.    Something like Urias and Ortiz for Lopez +.   The Marlins might not want to part with Sanchez just yet.

1 hour ago, NJOriolesFan said:

What would everybody do this offseason?

1.  I would sign Justin Verlander.  Elias was with Houston when they brought Verlander in.  Maybe there is a connection.  He is the Ace pitcher to bring in this year.

2.  Trade Mountcastle and Tate to the Marlins for Pablo Lopez and Sixto Sanchez.

3.  Sign Seth Lugo and Will Smith for the bullpen.  Shouldn't cost a ton but will solidify the bullpen.

4.  Sign Josh Bell to play 1st base.  Switch hitter with pop and on base ability.

Rotation:

Verlander, Lopez, Rodriguez, Bradish, Kremer/Means (when ready).  Keep Verlander and Lopez on 5 man rotation but the other guys swing between rotation/bullpen with guys like Lugo/Hall/Voth/Wells to lessen the innings burden, especially when Means gets back.

Bullpen:

Bautista, Perez, Lugo, Smith, Baker, Akin, Hall/Voth/Wells/Khrebel (these guys can be swing-men)

Lineup:

cf-Mullins

lf-Hays

3b-Henderson

C-Rutschman

1b-Bell

dh-Santander

rf-Stowers

2b-Urias

ss-Mateo

I would prefer to trade Urias and/or Mateo and/or Hays and/or Santander for one better high quality hitter with Ortiz, Vavra, Westburg, Cowser and perhaps Kjerstad on the horizon.   The offensive improvement comes from full seasons of Rutschman & Henderson and Bell over Mountcastle and potential trades around break if the prospects are ready.  I'd love to take a chance on somebody like Bellinger or Gallo who may benefit from the new shift rules.

Finally somebody started this thread topic! 😁

I would say that your recommendations for starting pitcher and bullpen would be wonderful! That would give us the rotation (combined with what we already have) to compete with anybody.

However, that lineup you posted and suggested, I got to admit I'm not really in favor. I don't like Hays hitting in the two hole at all! I really would hate the idea of him being on the team next year in general. He was absolutely horrendous in the second half of last season (really after the month of June). If he had to be on the team and these we our regulars, he would definitely be in the 8 hole in front of Mateo.

I think Bell is a definite upgrade over Mountcastle though. Not sure what his costs will be. But I would defintely love to add a quality hitter to replace Hays though. Maybe trade some from Urius, Westburg, Ortiz? As only one of them can start at 2nd. If Ortiz starts at short add Mateo to that trade package depending on value. I'm a little hesitant to trade Mateo because of the emphasized value that I think speed, base stealing and athleticism will have next year with bigger bases and no shift.

Abreu should be our #1 target. We need a professional type of hitter to work counts. Then it’s SP roulette. I think Bassitt is the the guy. I am not willing to trade any of our prospects. 

GR, Bassitt, Bradish, Kremer, Voth

Depth -Watkins, Hall, Zimmerman, Means

Bautista, Perez, Tate, Wells, Baker, Khreibel, Akin

1. Mullins L CF 

2. AR S C

3. Gunnar L 3B

4. Abreu R DH

5. Santander S RF

6. Mountcastle R 1B

7. Westburg R 2B

8. Stowers L LF

9. Mateo R SS

Catcher, Cameron, Urias, Hays

Depth - McKenna, Ortiz, Cowser

I would be after pitching, pitching, and more pitching. Everyone would be available for the right pitcher except for Henderson and Rutschman. I would do everything I could to trade for a true top of the rotation pitcher like Burnes or Bieber or whoever is available. I would also do all I could to sign Rodon to a 5 years or less contract. After that I'd try and trade for Pablo Lopez too. I would look at bringing in 1 or 2 middle relief type pitchers like Castro or Givens on a 2 year deal. It's hard to say exactly who teams would want but I'd really try and move Mullins, Hays, Mateo, Urias, and Santander to lesser the blow of prospects given up. My ideal roster would be something like:

C - Rutschman, backup
1B - Mountcastle or a free agent signing like Abreu if he's traded
2B - Whoever is left of the prospects
3B - Henderson or whoever is left of the prospects / Urias
SS - Ortiz, Henderson, or Mateo. I would want one of them at SS
LF - Cowser
CF - McKenna / Philips platoon
RF - Stowers
DH - hard to say, depends who is left and what positions are needed to fill. I would love to get someone like Abreu but it would depend on how much money is allowed in the budget.

Rotation - Rodon, traded for pitcher, traded for pitcher, Rodriguez, Bradish
Bullpen - Bautista, Perez, Tate, Akin, free agent signing, whoever is left from Wells, Kremer, etc. depending on trades

After the roster is set I would do everything I could to lock up Rutschman and Henderson to long term deals and buy out some free agent years.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Abreu should be our #1 target. We need a professional type of hitter to work counts. Then it’s SP roulette. I think Bassitt is the the guy. I am not willing to trade any of our prospects. 

GR, Bassitt, Bradish, Kremer, Voth

Depth -Watkins, Hall, Zimmerman, Means

Bautista, Perez, Tate, Wells, Baker, Khreibel, Akin

1. Mullins L CF 

2. AR S C

3. Gunnar L 3B

4. Abreu R DH

5. Santander S RF

6. Mountcastle R 1B

7. Westburg R 2B

8. Stowers L LF

9. Mateo R SS

Catcher, Cameron, Urias, Hays

Depth - McKenna, Ortiz, Cowser

I  would be concerned about team speed and defense with your proposed. That does not look like a good defensive outfield. 

I'm curious as to your reasons for not wanting to trade any prospects. It appears that some positions would be blocked. Ortiz will be 25 next year. At some point you have to play him or give him an opportunity elsewhere. Also, do you think Wells will be open to going back to the pen? I don't. The difference in being a starting pitcher and being a middle reliever is several millions for these guys. Why would he give up the opportunity to make MUCH more money when he has shown he's a pretty good starter in the limited opportunity that he had?

22 minutes ago, tabletop said:

I would be after pitching, pitching, and more pitching. Everyone would be available for the right pitcher except for Henderson and Rutschman. I would do everything I could to trade for a true top of the rotation pitcher like Burnes or Bieber or whoever is available. I would also do all I could to sign Rodon to a 5 years or less contract. After that I'd try and trade for Pablo Lopez too. I would look at bringing in 1 or 2 middle relief type pitchers like Castro or Givens on a 2 year deal. It's hard to say exactly who teams would want but I'd really try and move Mullins, Hays, Mateo, Urias, and Santander to lesser the blow of prospects given up. My ideal roster would be something like:

C - Rutschman, backup
1B - Mountcastle or a free agent signing like Abreu if he's traded
2B - Whoever is left of the prospects
3B - Henderson or whoever is left of the prospects / Urias
SS - Ortiz, Henderson, or Mateo. I would want one of them at SS
LF - Cowser
CF - McKenna / Philips platoon
RF - Stowers
DH - hard to say, depends who is left and what positions are needed to fill. I would love to get someone like Abreu but it would depend on how much money is allowed in the budget.

Rotation - Rodon, traded for pitcher, traded for pitcher, Rodriguez, Bradish
Bullpen - Bautista, Perez, Tate, Akin, free agent signing, whoever is left from Wells, Kremer, etc. depending on trades

After the roster is set I would do everything I could to lock up Rutschman and Henderson to long term deals and buy out some free agent years.

I like the idea of going after multiple pitchers. However, the problem I see with this scenario is we will be like the Guardians or Rays, all pitching but can't score in the postseason. That offense I don't believe would be enough to win in October against the best pitchers.

If I were GM this board would roast me for not being aggressive enough.  But I wouldn't spend a lot of $$ on offense.  I woudl take 1B/DH guy like Abrau, 2 big starters - Rodon (gotta love the lefty in this park now) and Basset.   Potentially a bullpen guy.  I'd extend Adley and be prepared to extend Gunner during the year.  

35 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I like the idea of going after multiple pitchers. However, the problem I see with this scenario is we will be like the Guardians or Rays, all pitching but can't score in the postseason. That offense I don't believe would be enough to win in October against the best pitchers.

That's a fair critique. It would require a lot of faith in the young prospects. If there are funds left over (since we don't know the specific budget) I would look at adding someone like Benintendi or Nimmo to add another good on base guy to the lineup. For me the only real "black hole" in that lineup would be the CF platoon. I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone though.

Nimmo, Rodon, Manaea signings would be cool

Nimmo LF

Rutschman C

Henderson 3B

Mountcastle 1B

Santander DH

Hays RF

Urias 2B

Mullins CF

Mateo SS

Rodon, Manaea, Rodriguez, Kremer, Bradish

not bad but Elias mentioned signing a #3 pitcher and upgrading multiple offensive pieces. So this is not happening. Sure would be cool tho 

• Upvote 1