Orioles 2022 #4 Prospect DL Hall - LHP

Tony-OH

I'm really surprised he is this high. Anyone this high should not have had the second half he had, and if reliever is now his more likely future I think that should affect his ranking, significantly. If command is a factor in the grades there is no way his FB is 70. In fact, even based purely on velo it's not a 70. I'm glad Tony and the scouts still like him, but I had him at 6 and if it were me doing the rankings he'd be outside of the top 10. 

Now, he did have a pretty stellar first half, and obviously has great stuff. It seemed the bizarre decision to have him do a 1 IP warm up game after the All Star break caused a negative spiral that hopefully never happens again. I can see the bullish case to keep him in the top 10, but I don't think I would trade Cowser, Westburg, Ortiz, or Norby for him. 

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Tony, what was your deciding factor to basically say, you would take Hall over Mayo?

Im surprised that you ranked them this way (not saying it’s wrong) based off of how you talk about each player.

My $0.02 - I can see a case based on the risk factor/range of potential outcomes.

Mayo has a non-zero chance (say 15-20% for the sake of discussion) that his K% could torpedo any progress and he doesn't make it to the MLB.

Hall has proven he belongs in the MLB.  The question is what role?  His range of outcomes looks something like (again % are for the sake of discussion):

50% - a very good high-leverage RP MLBer

30% - bottom of the rotation

20% - top of the rotation

"Who would Tony rather have?" was a factor.  The MLBer with TOR ceiling and high-leverage RP floor (bird in the hand) sounds like decider.

• Upvote 4

I still have a lot of belief in Hall’s potential as a starter.  The question is, now that the O’s are shooting to be contenders, can they afford to stick Hall in the rotation and let him absorb the bumps and bruises that he’ll probably need to take before pulling it all together?   Personally I think that might take 1-2 seasons to do, and the process could be pretty frustrating.  He’d probably come along faster in the pen, but almost no matter how good he is there, won’t have the impact he could have if he reached his TOR starter potential.   So, it’s a tough call.  

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

My $0.02 - I can see a case based on the risk factor/range of potential outcomes.

Mayo has a non-zero chance (say 15-20% for the sake of discussion) that his K% could torpedo any progress and he doesn't make it to the MLB.

Hall has proven he belongs in the MLB.  The question is what role?  His range of outcomes looks something like (again % are for the sake of discussion):

50% - a very good high-leverage RP MLBer

30% - bottom of the rotation

20% - top of the rotation

"Who would Tony rather have?" was a factor.  The MLBer with TOR ceiling and high-leverage RP floor (bird in the hand) sounds like decider.

My guess was similar to this.  Figuring that Hall has more of a fall back.

But I know Tony believes in Mayo and the idea he thinks he’s more likely going to end up in the pen made me wonder.

The ceiling is really high for him, I hope he can put it all together as a starter.  

With the way that bullpens are being deployed these days, he still would have a good amount of value as a high octane shut down reliever.  IMO, he's the biggest question mark for this team headed into 2023 in terms of maximizing potential and if he lands in the rotation or bullpen.

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I still have a lot of belief in Hall’s potential as a starter.  The question is, now that the O’s are shooting to be contenders, can they afford to stick Hall in the rotation and let him absorb the bumps and bruises that he’ll probably need to take before pulling it all together?   Personally I think that might take 1-2 seasons to do, and the process could be pretty frustrating.  He’d probably come along faster in the pen, but almost no matter how good he is there, won’t have the impact he could have if he reached his TOR starter potential.   So, it’s a tough call.  

This is where I stand. 

I don't think the O's send him back to AAA. I think he either really looks great in the spring and opens in the rotation, or he is put in the pen, he continues to develop, and he likely goes to the rotation at some point later this year or next. 

I think he's done in the minors.

12 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

DL Hall
Throws: Left
Age (as of Jun 30th) : 23
2021 Level: AAA/Orioles

What we don’t know: Can Hall find more consistency with throwing quality strikes that he can stick as a starter? Will he be able to give the team a consistent 6 innings or is his best role in the bullpen?

What we think: With his overall stuff, the organization may want to give him one more chance to stick as starter next season, but at 24-years old, he appears to be ready as a high leverage reliever.

Reading this, I'm getting an Andrew Miller vibe? Strongly prefer to let him exhaust all possibilities of being a starting pitcher, but if he settles into a high value reliever, well, ok. Worked out for Arthur Rhodes.

He was pretty bad all of last year. High ceiling but he needs to get his act together as a pitcher. Can't coast on prospect status forever. Pitch better. Guy still thinks his lack of command is because he's trying to strike people out. To me that shows a lack of accountability. "I'm doing it on purpose" isn't gonna fly when you walk 2 guys ahead of a Judge bomb. 

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Personally, not very high on Hall, seen to many hard throwers with control issues not pan out

I think he should be packaged in a trade for an established starter while he still retains that prospect potential.

I kind of agree. I advocated for Tanner Scott's trade years before it happened. He's still the same guy pretty much. 2020 was a huge outlier. 

That said, the O's have recently shown they can get guys like Bautista and Perez under control. I'm willing to see what a fresh season of DL Hall looks like. He did get treated awkwardly last year and it's tough to judge him on his first taste of the big leagues. BUT - he also couldn't really hack it in AAA all year, so.