Which winter meeting contracts would you have matched or beaten and why?

Sanity Check

1 hour ago, tabletop said:

Add Manaea 2/25 to my list

Like Heaney's, I'm a bit reluctant to jot this down as 12.5m AAV on my tracker, due to the opt out.    I suspect if he's any good he'll go back out on the market, and the extra year (like the extra years on Correa's Minnesota pillow) are just in case his 2023 is too ineffective.     Its a manifestation of how Heaney-Manaea give a fair bit more upside than Kyle Gibson.

Manaea is so much more reliable though, I agree this is a calculated risk I would have been okay with.

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Like Heaney's, I'm a bit reluctant to jot this down as 12.5m AAV on my tracker, due to the opt out.    I suspect if he's any good he'll go back out on the market, and the extra year (like the extra years on Correa's Minnesota pillow) are just in case his 2023 is too ineffective.     Its a manifestation of how Heaney-Manaea give a fair bit more upside than Kyle Gibson.

Manaea is so much more reliable though, I agree this is a calculated risk I would have been okay with.

How is Manaea more reliable?  He had negative value in 2022?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Me too….Senga at 15 million is a bargain. No reason to think he won’t be successful here.

We’ll find out.  You never know how the Japanese pitchers will translate over here.  The O’s are certainly in a better position to make an informed decision about that than we are.  They may have liked him, they may not have.  It’s also not clear that Senga had any interest in playing outside of NY or the West Coast.  All that said, I would have liked to have had him at that price.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

How is Manaea more reliable?  He had negative value in 2022?

Last 3 Years - Manaea ~390 IP, Heaney ~270 IP.

On the Manaea-Gibson-Lyles level, I believe the Innings are what the Clubs want - they know the ERA could be 5.25 or 4.25.     They carry water so LeBron can max out his minutes in the playoffs, or you don't have to hurt poor Grayson Rodriguez.

Heaney more boom bust.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Thank God, I was extremely worried we were going to end up with him.

One starter coming off a ~5.00 ERA is enough for a single offseason where we are allegedly trying to get better to compete for a playoff spot.

Manaea represented the best possible option that the O’s may end up with. This team is unbelievably cheap. 

Im disappointed they couldn’t beat that offer. He’d have done well in the new dimensions I think 

3 minutes ago, oriole said:

Manaea represented the best possible option that the O’s may end up with. This team is unbelievably cheap. 

Im disappointed they couldn’t beat that offer. He’d have done well in the new dimensions I think 

Manaea's underlying metrics were pretty atrocious last year, I don't see any reason to believe a massive bounceback is inbound.

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Me too….Senga at 15 million is a bargain. No reason to think he won’t be successful here.

Not sure Senga was going to play for the Orioles. But with the payroll so low ,could have front loaded the contract. $ 21 mm. ,the first two years. $11 mm. the last three years when payroll should probably be higher with some of the prospects hitting arbitration or maybe some extensions.