Orioles sign Mychal Givens

Brian88

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course he could be meh. But he also could be really good and insurance for the existing back 3 guys, all of whom could also be meh.

Hes an insurance policy that expires at the end of the year. It’s a good move.

Sure. I just worry a little more if he's really losing 2 MPH on the fastball. 

I'm not worried about him not having a great year. I'm worried that he doesn't even have the upside he used to have to have a great year.

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Sure. I just worry a little more if he's really losing 2 MPH on the fastball. 

I'm not worried about him not having a great year. I'm worried that he doesn't even have the upside he used to have to have a great year.

Well his stat cast numbers were pretty good.  His k rate was excellent. He’s still missing bats at a good level.

The problem with Givens is the walk rate. That’s what separates him from being really good imo. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well his stat cast numbers were pretty good.  His k rate was excellent. He’s still missing bats at a good level.

The problem with Givens is the walk rate. That’s what separates him from being really good imo. 

Right, the rest of the profile is still very good. He's a fine addition. He might even regain a MPH or 2 this year. Who knows? 

But if his velo comes down any more, what happens to that profile? We'll see.

So most people seem to be ok with this.  I'll go the other way on this one.   He's signed for essentially 1/5M.    He's an averagish reliever.   He gives up home runs.  His walks totals are below average.   He's lost velocity.    Now because of the money, he'd pretty much guaranteed to make the team even if someone like Politti looks better than him in ST.   Is Mychal Givens going to kill us?   Not as a middle reliever which is about what he is these days.   Is he going to help us?    Well, the only way he really helps us is if he's replacing the bad Joey Krehbiel.    For all I know, Joey Krehbiel might improve over the bad Joey Krehbiel.   Andrew Politti might.   I just don't think it's worth it.

I find it quite funny that some of people who love giving Frazier $8 million to be the everyday 2B don't like giving Givens $5 million when the closer will make little more than major league minimum. 

Some people just like being on the others side and the attention it brings.

Givens is not the guy we traded in 2019 (bad return but that's another thread) but he's still an effective middle reliever. 

BTW, Givens was left off the Mets playoff roster most likely because he had been on the IL since September 17th for an undisclosed reason (most reports surmised it was because of COVID) and was activated for one game in October and he only threw the ball 92 MPH. 

If they felt he was still weak from COVID, why risk him when he was the 6th/7th inning guy anyways and typically in these playoff series you have extra starters to use out of the pen.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So most people seem to be ok with this.  I'll go the other way on this one.   He's signed for essentially 1/5M.    He's an averagish reliever.   He gives up home runs.  His walks totals are below average.   He's lost velocity.    Now because of the money, he'd pretty much guaranteed to make the team even if someone like Politti looks better than him in ST.   Is Mychal Givens going to kill us?   Not as a middle reliever which is about what he is these days.   Is he going to help us?    Well, the only way he really helps us is if he's replacing the bad Joey Krehbiel.    For all I know, Joey Krehbiel might improve over the bad Joey Krehbiel.   Andrew Politti might.   I just don't think it's worth it.

It's more about depth for me. Almost guaranteed one of our relievers will pull a hammy in ST or something. Krehbiel has an option. There's a lot of weapons in the bullpen right now. But I don't think anyone here can dispute that after Lopez was dealt, the bullpen suffered. The guy holding it together IMO was Baker, and good for him. But I don't necessarily trust the trio of Krehbiel/Baker/Politti. If they're all great, then that's awesome. But Givens gives you a lot of protection. 

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I find it quite funny that some of people who love giving Frazier $8 million to be the everyday 2B don't like giving Givens $5 million when the closer will make little more than major league minimum. 

Givens is not the guy we traded in 2019 (bad return but that's another thread) but he's still an effective middle reliever. 

BTW, Givens was left off the Mets playoff roster most likely because he had been on the IL since September 17th for an undisclosed reason (most reports surmised it was because of COVID) and was activated for one game in October and he only threw the ball 92 MPH. 

If they felt he was still weak from COVID, why risk him when he was the 6th/7th inning guy anyways and typically in these playoff series you have extra starters to use out of the pen.

I didn't love giving Frazier 8M.   I said I didn't like the signing.   However, the vitriol over the signing was over the top.   How much our closer makes should have ZERO bearing on how much we give an average middle reliever.   

Attention?   Oh yea, that's me.  Haha.    

His average FB velocity was down to 93.4 last year.   His chase rate (8th percentile) means that hitters no longer have to get that bat started early and get fooled on the slider.   He still has enough swing and miss that he's not toast yet and hopefully he'll be able to do what he's done the last 2-3 years which is good enough.    Any further regression on the fastball could be a big problem.

Edited by RZNJ

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's more about depth for me. Almost guaranteed one of our relievers will pull a hammy in ST or something. Krehbiel has an option. There's a lot of weapons in the bullpen right now. But I don't think anyone here can dispute that after Lopez was dealt, the bullpen suffered. The guy holding it together IMO was Baker, and good for him. But I don't necessarily trust the trio of Krehbiel/Baker/Politti. If they're all great, then that's awesome. But Givens gives you a lot of protection. 

Agreed.  We were able to replace Lopez effectively for a while, but in September our lack of depth was showing.  This helps.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I have not seen a single person "love" the Frazier signing. Who loves it?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, Tony, I haven't really noticed anyone who has indicated that they love the Frazier signing.  There's a big difference between loving something and not being upset by it, which I think is what you are talking about.  The signing certainly surprised me, for example, but the guy has been a good pro and it's a one-year deal, so it was pretty much a "meh" for me.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

So who gets booted off the 40-man roster to make room for Givens?  I figure it’s Lewin Diaz or Tyler Nevin.  

I hope it’s Nevin or Zimmermann, but it could be Diaz. Diaz intrigues me some. The other two are excess baggage at this point. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Damn facts