Orioles sign Mychal Givens

Brian88

4 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I hope it’s Nevin or Zimmermann, but it could be Diaz. Diaz intrigues me some. The other two are excess baggage at this point. 

Yea I tend to agree.  Zimmermann isn’t getting picked up. You can cut him and keep him in the org and if he does surprisingly get picked up, big deal.

I think the Os have several guys like that still, so take your pick.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So who gets booted off the 40-man roster to make room for Givens?  I figure it’s Lewin Diaz or Tyler Nevin.  

Hopefully Nevin but both are out of options and probably not making the team so they'll have to pass through waivers sooner or later, anyway.

Edited by RZNJ

I haven't chimed in on this thread yet...  

I like the Givens signing.  In one sense, it's similar to Frazier in that I don't see BP help as a top priority.  But having proven MLB arms in the BP is always a plus.  The contract is fine too.

Frazier and Givens are interesting pieces short-term and long-term.  They allow us to augment trade packages in the off-season OR as trade pieces at the trade deadline if we're out of the playoff hunt.

Another angle is that Givens can give a quality "before" and "after" comparison testimony of the data use, staff, as well as how OPACY plays.

• Upvote 1

At this point, I’d like to see the Orioles go in even more on making the bullpen a strength and target another lefty, like Taylor Rogers or Andrew Chafin. (Or, to a lesser degree of interest, Aroldis Chapman or Matt Moore). That’s a market we can play in without breaking our apparently meager budget, and all the big market teams are probably less inclined to pay the luxury tax for guys of that caliber and won’t be doing the whole long deal, low AAV strategy for RP.  

Even if we end up with an Eovaldi, Wacha or Kluber, our rotation is going to have a lot of 5 IP starters and we need to gamble on the upside Hall brings as a SP, whether in the majors to start the year or back in AAA developing. We are going to lean on the bullpen again a lot and there’s space for another lefty if Hall is starting.

Bautista, Tate, Perez and Givens are locks, along with Voth (with no options). Baker and Akin are as well, but they both also have options if we need flexibility in-season for a fresh arm. Voth and Akin can give you length, so that 8th spot can be another lefty to pair with Perez. I’d rather have a second quality lefty than Politi, who can still force his way onto the roster with a strong ST or via an injury.

Besides Gibson and whoever else they add, all the SP candidates have options. The 3 who look best in ST start in the majors (likely Kremer, Bradish, Grayson) and the others can continue being stretched out in AAA as SP (likely Wells and Hall). Wells and Hall would be assets as RP but I’d rather have them stretched out as depth for SP injuries and to continue developing them as SP.  We will also get another year of control back with Wells if we send him to AAA to start the year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

His average FB velocity was down to 93.4 last year.   His chase rate (8th percentile) means that hitters no longer have to get that bat started early and get fooled on the slider.   He still has enough swing and miss that he's not toast yet and hopefully he'll be able to do what he's done the last 2-3 years which is good enough.    Any further regression on the fastball could be a big problem.

Yep, all true and why I think he'll end up more of a 6th inning guy unless he regains some velocity or gets on a roll.

2 hours ago, tabletop said:

I have not seen a single person "love" the Frazier signing. Who loves it?

Now you're getting offended over the word love? Give me a break. 

Everyone needs to STOOOOPPPPPP being OFFENDED by every single word! 

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep, all true and why I think he'll end up more of a 6th inning guy unless he regains some velocity or gets on a roll.

Agreed, Givens definitely shouldn’t be in any sort of specific late inning role because he needs to be used carefully to maximize the RH batters he faces. He’s always had large R/L splits, as you would expect from his arm angle. The positive spin on that is that even if he’s declining, he’s still going to be a big asset against RH batters, and there’s value in that for matchups in the middle innings when teams are less inclined to pinch hit. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Agreed, Givens definitely shouldn’t be in any sort of specific late inning role because he needs to be used carefully to maximize the RH batters he faces. He’s always had large R/L splits, as you would expect from his arm angle. The positive spin on that is that even if he’s declining, he’s still going to be a big asset against RH batters, and there’s value in that for matchups in the middle innings when teams are less inclined to pinch hit. 

This is a good point.

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Now you're getting offended over the word love? Give me a break. 

Everyone needs to STOOOOPPPPPP being OFFENDED by every single word! 

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The point is, nobody is wildly excited about the Frazier signing.  The reactions run from “meh” to “yech,” to put it scientifically.   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Frazier's own parents probably haven't talked about him as much this year as we have on this site.  It is, however, a perfect illustration of just how slow and boring this offseason has been....for us.  I am sure we would have signed him to a 0.25 year contract for $2 million if we could have.  These cumbersome 1-year deals are probably starting to feel a little excessive to the FO.