MLB Execs: Gunnar is the favorite for Rookie of the Year

Frobby

The next installment of the MLB executive prospect voting.  This time focusing on "Tools".  A few Gunnar's, Jackson, Grayson, and a DL Hall showing as well.  

This could a sort-of shopping list if a MLB level deal doesn't pan out.  

MLB front office selections best prospect tools

And I'll tag on another MLB.com article about the 2023 Prospect All-Defense team.  (Spoiler - no O's.)

Pipeline All defense team 2023 (mlb.com)

Nice to see Grayson on all three pitching lists.  

I’m praying for this kid to land somewhere near his ceiling.  That would be such a game changer for this organization, and such a boost for the fan base.   It’s been 15 years since we had a “must see” pitcher (Bedard), and that was really just for two seasons.   

• Upvote 2

Last part of the 4 part series: Execs rank Best Farm Systems:

• Best Farm: O's 1st w/ 50%
  • Who Uses Draft Best: O's 2nd
  • Not mentioned for Int'l Mkt
  • Most Underrated Farm System: 4-way tie for 5th
  • Hordes Prospects Most: 3-way tie for 5th
  • Not mentioned for pitcher development
  • Hitter Development: 6-way tie for 3rd
  • Not mentioned for sleeper prospects

Not too bad to have the best farm system and still considered by some to be underrated.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m praying for this kid to land somewhere near his ceiling.  That would be such a game changer for this organization, and such a boost for the fan base.   It’s been 15 years since we had a “must see” pitcher (Bedard), and that was really just for two seasons.   

Britton was must see as a closer.

Had an all-time great season.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Britton was must see as a closer.

Had an all-time great season.

I’m talking about the guy who you say, “I need to be sure to watch the O’s tonight because Pitcher X is pitching.”   Where you’re actually excited to watch the game because of who’s scheduled to pitch.   Britton was great but a reliever doesn’t fit that bill.   

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I love watching a pitcher in a groove.  And it’s really been too long since the Os have had a classic TOR SP.  With the rule changes it will be more important than ever for the Os SP to increase their K rate, and GR has the stuff to do it.  DL Hall too. 

Adding the link:  MLB front office selections best farm systems

As impressive as getting half of the executive votes for #1 farm system, the fact that they got a few votes saying our system is underrated amplifies that vote!

I don't think it's odd that we're not mentioned for pitcher development.  But I do think it's odd that we're not mentioned for hitter or sleeper development.  Does that mean these executives think we really draft with a top shelf approach (less misses and/or better over/underslot guys) for hitters and it's less about developing lesser talent?  

I think the Braves should have gotten votes for developing pitchers (even without considering Strider).  

The Astros and Dodgers are in a tier in themselves.  The Guardians, Rays, and Cards are in the next tier.  The O's are pushing for more than just a 3-year run as a 'system'.  We need to check off a few more boxes than having high draft picks.

On 1/11/2023 at 10:21 AM, Frobby said:

It’s like we’ve forgotten how good this dude is because the negative vibes about the service clock manipulation and then his injury. Dude is elite. 

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m talking about the guy who you say, “I need to be sure to watch the O’s tonight because Pitcher X is pitching.”   Where you’re actually excited to watch the game because of who’s scheduled to pitch.   Britton was great but a reliever doesn’t fit that bill.   

OK.

I would stay up if the Os had the lead to watch him pitch.

To me he was must see.

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK.

I would stay up if the Os had the lead to watch him pitch.

To me he was must see.

I pretty much always stay up if I’m watching and the O’s have the lead.  I enjoy watching wins.   Of course, blown saves are THE WORST.  So 2016 was pretty sweet, no doubt.