John Angelos chews out Dan Connolly

interloper

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m not claiming any superior knowledge.  But I’d be shocked if Lou didn’t already know what percentage of the Orioles is owned by his family.   

The filing is that they secretly bought shares. So that would allege that he didn't know originally. At what point did he learn? That we don't know. 

This reads John used this to benefit his lifestyle. $1.7M to buy a home Saratoga Springs, NY, and another $2.5M was sent to John months later. Both in 2021. 

$26.75M transferred to a checking account of his wife. Occurred after a lawsuit vs the firm. To shield assets. 

John basically took daddy’s account and did what he wanted. 

55 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This reads John used this to benefit his lifestyle. $1.7M to buy a home Saratoga Springs, NY, and another $2.5M was sent to John months later. Both in 2021. 

$26.75M transferred to a checking account of his wife. Occurred after a lawsuit vs the firm. To shield assets. 

I wonder if Peter Angelos has a living trust and since he is probably incapacitated who is the trustee or trustees?

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Petty cash funds have a little more money in them when you're a billionaire (or a future billionaire).

6 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

The Orioles' website says the following: "Since the ownership group led by Peter Angelos purchased the team, the Baltimore Orioles have donated more than $10 million to support various organizations in the Orioles' community."That's an average of about $350,000 a year over 29 years. Assuming that figure is up to date, I'm not very impressed.

I wonder if there is any way to determine if that $10 M figure includes the current $5 M "pledge" to College Bound?????

On 1/20/2023 at 5:37 AM, SemperFi said:

If I remember right I ran it at the same time with 2022 included and also came up with OI (profit) of ~$80.  Remember OI should go up substantially in 2023 with $30m from Disney and increased attendance.  Funny, either Elias or JA was quoted that he expected player salaries to increase relative to attendance-no mention increased revenue from media!!

OK Semper Fi, I have tried to find the 2022 data to update the file but it isn't available yet. So, what we know is that Revenue for MLB increased from $9.56 B to $10.8 B in 2022. I took the O's revenue for 2021 out of the $9.56 B for MLB to create an "O's share" ratio and applied it to 2022. If I am right the O's OI rises to $113 M in 2022. Since MLB attendance overall was down 4 M from 2019 when the Revenue was $10.7 B and the new broadcast money doesn't hit until 2023, the only thing I can think of that boosted MLB Revenue to the new record is that the $30 M per team from Disney is counted in MLB Revenue. Estimates in bold, 

Year Revenue Salaries Payroll + Expenses Revenue - Expenses Operating Income Operating Cost

2014 245 110 122 123 31.4 91.6
2015 239 118.9 137 102 8.8 93.2
2016 253 147.7 162 91 -2.1 93.1
2017 252 164.3 183 69 -26 95
2018 251 143 161 90 -6.5 96.5
2019 256 61.1 103 153 57 96
2020 115 23.9 43 72 -23 95
2021 251 45.7 66 185 83 102
2022 283 44.88 65 218 113 105

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I wonder if Peter Angelos has a living trust and since he is probably incapacitated who is the trustee or trustees?

Not sure how all of this works but this was a Wells Fargo account in Peter’s  name. 

I can’t see how you can justify - if true- what John allegedly did. It’s not like he inherited the money. 

Would love to know what MLB thinks about this. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Not sure how all of this works but this was a Wells Fargo account in Peter’s  name. 

I can’t see how you can justify - if true- what John allegedly did. It’s not like he inherited the money. 

Would love to know what MLB thinks about this. 

They are probably mostly concerned about this stuff becoming public.

1 hour ago, AnythingO's said:

the only thing I can think of that boosted MLB Revenue to the new record is that the $30 M per team from Disney is counted in MLB Revenue. 

I believe some new TV contracts kicked in for 2022.   As to the Disney money, people need to remember that it’s a one-time payment, and whatever dividends were being paid annually before from MLBAM will now cease.   So it boosted revenue for 2022 but will result in reduced revenue going forward.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I believe some new TV contracts kicked in for 2022.   As to the Disney money, people need to remember that it’s a one-time payment, and whatever dividends were being paid annually before from MLBAM will now cease.   So it boosted revenue for 2022 but will result in reduced revenue going forward.   

It was what the last of three large payments?

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, spread over 5 years or so, I believe.  

Did a quick search.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-major-league-baseballs-team-owners-built-billion-adefope-esq-

On August 9th, 2016, after negotiations, Disney and MLBAM, announced that Disney would “pay $1 billion to purchase a 33% stake in BAMTech (“BAM”)” (Calcaterra, 2016). That deal netted Disney a 33% share in BAM and around $33 million for every Major League Baseball team owner (Calterra, 2017). Disney acquired additional shares the following year for $1.58 billion, granting them a majority ownership, bringing Disney’s total stake to 75%. This majority stake netted each MLB owner an additional $52 million; bringing each owner’s rough profit to $85 million

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Oh, I totally agree, I was just trying to figure a way MLB revenue was up over 2019 with 4 million fewer attendence