John Angelos chews out Dan Connolly

interloper

9 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Thanks. I've seen several references over the years to Peter Angelos buying out other partners, but I don't know that that's ever happened. 

I am pretty sure it did happen. There are a few people who were in the original ownership group who are no longer listed, and I recall that Angelos’ original ownership interest was in the low 60’s.   To my recollection, the details of the original group were laid out in the Bankruptcy Court filings when the group bought the team.  I looked at it once, but it’s been a long time.   

16 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Thanks. I've seen several references over the years to Peter Angelos buying out other partners, but I don't know that that's ever happened. 

When Peter Angelos dies, MLB will be looking at one of two situations. (I'm assuming that Peter's death would not trigger any change in the ownership by the other limited partners.) Either there will be no majority owner of the team, with two siblings who won't work together and appear to despise each other each owning 35 to 40 percent, and a bunch of outside investors owning the rest, or John will claim the right to inherit Peter's full share based on actions taken before Peter's death by Georgia as his attorney-in-fact, presumably leading to bitter litigation over the inheritance of that 35-40 percent of the team.

To me it's inconceivable that MLB would approve such a result, even if the new ownership could afford to go forward after paying estate taxes (which it won't be able to do). But maybe that word doesn't mean what I think it means.

When the Orioles sold originally two groups  got together because the price got too high. DeWitt and Angelos.Dewitt sold his interest soon after.. Dewitt ended up buying the Cardinals and ran a model franchise. 

ANGELOS TO BUY OUT DEWITT'S ORIOLES SHARES
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/en/Daily/Issues/1995/05/24/Franchises/ANGELOS-TO-BUY-OUT-DEWITTS-ORIOLES-SHARES

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I watched some of the video but I didn't read the Connolly article.  What are the chances Connolly is still covering the Orioles a year from now? Is he at risk of losing all access to the team due to this? I wonder how many reporters were lined up behind Connolly planning on asking similar questions that are thankful today he got to go first.

They could attempt to blackball him or make up some kind of rule that would prohibit him (like they did with me), but he does work for a legitimate press organization in THE Athletic and to ban him would make the organization look very, very petty.

Good on Dan for standing up for himself. He's going to be on Bob and Vinnie (105.7) today if anyone is interested. 

• Upvote 2

Any report from Connelly or anyone else about gearing up for the promised turnover of information next wee by, for example, putting together and arranging for the attendance of a team of professionals who can review and understand this stuff: lawyers, accountants, bankers? I would be doing that, following up with phone calls about the scheduling of the meeting and details like how much stuff there will be, whether copying, photography, etc. will be permitted, and I'd be very public about it.

If John isn't going to follow through, as I expect, I'd want to make reneging as difficult and as embarrassing for him as possible. (While I'm not sure anything embarrasses an Angelos,  I would be trying.)

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

Any report from Connelly or anyone else about gearing up for the promised turnover of information next wee by, for example, putting together and arranging for the attendance of a team of professionals who can review and understand this stuff: lawyers, accountants, bankers? I would be doing that, following up with phone calls about the scheduling of the meeting and details like how much stuff there will be, whether copying, photography, etc. will be permitted, and I'd be very public about it.

If John isn't going to follow through, as I expect, I'd want to make reneging as difficult and as embarrassing for him as possible. (While I'm not sure anything embarrasses an Angelos,  I would be trying.)

It's hard to embarrass someone who rarely comes out of the shadows. 

Per a Washington Post article at the time of sale, the purchasing group included:

Peter G. Angelos: Baltimore lawyer, former city councilman and onetime mayoral candidate.

Tom Clancy: best-selling novelist whose work includes "The Hunt for Red October" and "Patriot Games."

Henry Knott: Baltimore contractor.

Pam Shriver: professional tennis player.

Richard Pearlstone: real estate investor.

Leonard "Boogie" Weinglass: clothing magnate, owner of retail chain Merry-Go-Round Enterprises Inc.

Barry Levinson: Oscar-winning film director, whose movies include the Baltimore-based trilogy "Diner," "Tin Men," and "Avalon."

Jim McKay: veteran sportscaster, owner of Maryland horse farm.

Michael Sullivan: president of the Merry-Go-Round clothing chain.

McKay, Pearlstone, Weinglass and Sullivan are no longer part of the group.  Several others are in.   

20 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

He set a trap and Connolly walked right into It. He definitely knew the question was coming (although he warned Connolly not to ask it). This was not an off the cuff response.

That said, Connolly's question was in poor taste. 

After reading Connolly's column in the Athletic, I kind of get it.  This guy promised to make himself more public and more accessible and hasn't done so.  Connolly said the last time he showed his face was on a zoom call to announce the McCartney concert.  So it appears that John is only going to make appearances when it's not baseball related.

So Connolly shot his shot, I can't really blame him for it.  I don't have a problem with some of the content of John's response but the tone was wrong.

And John shouldn't be such a b****.  Like he pointed out yesterday, the team is on the right track, two back to back #1 prospects, things are looking up for once.  I get that it probably sucks to have to deal with the perception people have of his father as it comes to owning the Orioles and that people are probably going to project that onto him but he should do himself some good and make himself more available.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Per a Washington Post article at the time of sale, the purchasing group included:

Peter G. Angelos: Baltimore lawyer, former city councilman and onetime mayoral candidate.

Tom Clancy: best-selling novelist whose work includes "The Hunt for Red October" and "Patriot Games."

Henry Knott: Baltimore contractor.

Pam Shriver: professional tennis player.

Richard Pearlstone: real estate investor.

Leonard "Boogie" Weinglass: clothing magnate, owner of retail chain Merry-Go-Round Enterprises Inc.

Barry Levinson: Oscar-winning film director, whose movies include the Baltimore-based trilogy "Diner," "Tin Men," and "Avalon."

Jim McKay: veteran sportscaster, owner of Maryland horse farm.

Michael Sullivan: president of the Merry-Go-Round clothing chain.

McKay, Pearlstone, Weinglass and Sullivan are no longer part of the group.  Several others are in.   

Dewitt group was the second biggest investor .

7 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Dewitt group was the second biggest investor .

You’re right that they were in the original group, not sure if they were second biggest.  In any event, Angelos bought them out after two years.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1995/05/24/angelos-about-to-buy-dewitts-share-of-os/aea962e9-dbf6-413b-a10c-02e083d7b801/

Per the article, “Angelos will increase his ownership stake in the Orioles to slightly over 60 percent, with the remainder divided among a number of other investors.”   So that supports my memory that Angelos has bought out some of the other owners over the years, which is why they’re now over 70% per John Angelos’ statement yesterday.  

Edited by Frobby

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

They could attempt to blackball him or make up some kind of rule that would prohibit him (like they did with me), but he does work for a legitimate press organization in THE Athletic and to ban him would make the organization look very, very petty.

Good on Dan for standing up for himself. He's going to be on Bob and Vinnie (105.7) today if anyone is interested. 

Do you know what time?

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re right that they were in the original group, not sure if they were second biggest.  In any event, Angelos bought them out after two years.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1995/05/24/angelos-about-to-buy-dewitts-share-of-os/aea962e9-dbf6-413b-a10c-02e083d7b801/

Per the article, “Angelos will increase his ownership stake in the Orioles to slightly over 60 percent, with the remainder divided among a number of other investors.”   So that supports my memory that Angelos has bought out some of the other owners over the years, which is why they’re now over 70% per John Angelos’ statement yesterday.  

They almost bought the Orioles .This report was wrong but I think MLB  wanted local owners involved.

From the Sun:

The long-anticipated sale of the Orioles to investors led by Cincinnati businessman William O. DeWitt Jr. has been completed and could be announced by opening day, according to a broadcast report.

WBAL Radio reported today that the DeWitt group will buy the team from New York investor Eli S. Jacobs for about $135 million. The new owners have agreed to pay cash for the team and will assume deferred payments to former Oriole players no longer with the team, the station said.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Also, going after The Athletic would probably be something that MLB and Manfred would strongly discourage at this juncture.  I hope John got pinged about basic PR responsibility from someone in the commissioners office, or another owner.  

Also, I would love for the sports leagues in this country to make an ownership press conference at the end of each season mandatory.  These guys should not be hiding behind their investment and GMs and Team Presidents.  Get them out in front of the press, even if once a year.  It’s their duty as the owner/controlling executive to answer questions from the press.  All of this is a really bad look for Angelos and the rest of the owners.