Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

3 hours ago, Aglets said:

As much as Mountcastle has been struggling.........he still has an OPS over 1.000 against LHP this year.

O'Hearn has been annihilating RHP.  The solution here seems pretty obvious to me.

What if the vertigo is still impacting Mountcastle, though? Vertigo can be a chronic and long-term issue. 

Part of me thinks there's a possibility the vertigo was an excuse to give him a break. But it's also likely that the vertigo is really affecting him. If so, he may not able to contribute for a while, and his 0-5 with 3 K's last night was discouraging in that regard.

4 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

What if the vertigo is still impacting Mountcastle, though? Vertigo can be a chronic and long-term issue. 

Part of me thinks there's a possibility the vertigo was an excuse to give him a break. But it's also likely that the vertigo is really affecting him. If so, he may not able to contribute for a while, and his 0-5 with 3 K's last night was discouraging in that regard.

If the vertigo is still impacting Mountcastle the team is being negligent with player safety.  (I don't think that's the case)  You can't send a guy out there with that.

If the vertigo is still an issue then you don't activate him.  He should stay on the IL as long as possible to get it treated / fixed.

Since he is now back to playing games on a rehab assignment i think it is rational to assume that he is healthy enough to play.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the vertigo is still impacting Mountcastle the team is being negligent with player safety.  (I don't think that's the case)  You can't send a guy out there with that.

But this could be similar to concussion situations where team doctors are relying on the player divulging how they're feeling. If Mountcastle isn't sharing all of his symptoms and/or wanting to get back on the field despite not feeling 100%, then it becomes a difficult situation for everyone involved. 

13 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

But this could be similar to concussion situations where team doctors are relying on the player divulging how they're feeling. If Mountcastle isn't sharing all of his symptoms and/or wanting to get back on the field despite not feeling 100%, then it becomes a difficult situation for everyone involved. 

Thankfully we have no evidence that this is the case and we have no reason to spend too much energy worrying about things that are just haphazard speculation.

30 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

It's pretty hard to hide vertigo. We'll know when he falls down walking to the batter's box if it's gone.

Edited by Malike

4 hours ago, Aglets said:

As much as Mountcastle has been struggling.........he still has an OPS over 1.000 against LHP this year.

O'Hearn has been annihilating RHP.  The solution here seems pretty obvious to me.

Agreed, but I'd hate to see Mountcastle up in a late and close situation against a RHP because he pinch hit for O'Hearn earlier against a lefty.

That's the thing about platoons;  If the splits are too far extreme one way or another, you can get exposed.  I don't think O'Hearn is a good hitter against LHP so the platoon option is one that they'll have to go to instead of getting rid of Mountcastle.  Hopefully next year they have a 1B that can hit lefties and righties and this is all forgotten.

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed, but I'd hate to see Mountcastle up in a late and close situation against a RHP because he pinch hit for O'Hearn earlier against a lefty.

That's the thing about platoons;  If the splits are too far extreme one way or another, you can get exposed.  I don't think O'Hearn is a good hitter against LHP so the platoon option is one that they'll have to go to instead of getting rid of Mountcastle.  Hopefully next year they have a 1B that can hit lefties and righties and this is all forgotten.

Heston Kjerstad this year has a 1.002 OPS against LHP and a .943 OPS against RHP. And he hit against LHP and RHP last season too. 

https://www.milb.com/player/heston-kjerstad-677008?stats=splits-r-hitting-mlb&year=2023

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Aglets said:

If the vertigo is still an issue then you don't activate him.  He should stay on the IL as long as possible to get it treated / fixed.

Since he is now back to playing games on a rehab assignment i think it is rational to assume that he is healthy enough to play.

I would’ve thought he would’ve been deactivated longer. It doesn’t make a lot of sense for him to have been suffering from vertigo, then just throw him right back out there in AAA. 

On 6/22/2023 at 1:51 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Agree. I’m sure he wouldn’t be on rehab if he were still experiencing symptoms.