Orioles will have 3 games on Peacock this year

Going Underground

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Flip side is there are a lot of younger folks who have ditched cable/satellite completly and get all the TV they get from a combination of various streaming services.   They don't get MASN or ESPN.    This might expose some of them to MLB that they wouldn't otherwise be exposed to.

Younger folk who's ditched traditional cable right here.  I get MASN because I made sure that the streaming service I selected to get basic channels had MASN.  And I have Netflix, HBO Max, and Prime and Apple TV.

I don't know if I have Peacock in all of that mess and it's going to be obnoxious to figure out to what lengths I'll have to go to watch my stupid baseball team.  Am I going to have to download an app or something and agree to their $7.99 per month bill if I don't cancel it within the next 5 days, their hopes for monthly recurring revenue riding on people being too lazy and/or stupid to remember to cancel?  Probably.

Will I?  Probably.  

Is it annoying?  Definitely.  And for people who aren't afraid of technology like myself, it's not too much of a bother to do it.  Forgetting 8 bucks a month or whatever it is, is a light Indian burn on a forearm, not an all out titty twister that would leave you grapsing your chest and wondering what the **** you did to deserve it.

But for luddites like my parents?  I can't wait to get the inevitable phonecall where they're wondering where the Orioles are, how come they're not on MASN and "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THE APP?"  That's just a delight.

Anyway, two big middle fingers and a Roseanne Barr National Anthem crotch grab to MLB for continuing to be idiots.  I'm sure whoever stumbles across an Orioles/Cubs game on Peacock will be absolutely riveted and become a baseball fan for life because of your genius marketing.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

MLB: We want to promote our game as far and as wide as we possibly can.  We really want to draw in as many viewers as we possibly can.

Also MLB:  We're going to broadcast our games on like 437 different streaming platforms in order to piss off as many people as we possibly can.  

And this certainly won’t confuse the core demo of fans that lean older and typically don’t keep up with all these newer streaming services.

Is it too much to ask that I can sign up for MLB.TV and get in market streaming for Orioles telecasts. There is a huge opportunity there for MLB to offer fans who  don’t want  cable, but will pay money to watch their home team’s games without having to resort to other (questionable) means. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Younger folk who's ditched traditional cable right here.  I get MASN because I made sure that the streaming service I selected to get basic channels had MASN.  And I have Netflix, HBO Max, and Prime and Apple TV.

What streaming service has MASN?  The only one I could find last year was DirectvStream (or whatever its called).  It was OK but not the best.  I'm hoping there might be other options this year but I'm not holding my breath, and I'm prepared to go back to Directv if needed.....

But for luddites like my parents?  I can't wait to get the inevitable phonecall where they're wondering where the Orioles are, how come they're not on MASN and "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD THE APP?"  That's just a delight.

Anyway, two big middle fingers and a Roseanne Barr National Anthem crotch grab to MLB for continuing to be idiots.  I'm sure whoever stumbles across an Orioles/Cubs game on Peacock will be absolutely riveted and become a baseball fan for life because of your genius marketing.

Well Moose, I probably qualify as a LUDDITE (age wise), but I want to substitute a cut and paste of JA's oblivious face smiling for the media after his latest toe stub (had to clean it up, I am a LUDDITE after all) in the general area of RB's crotch to appropriately register my disgust.

36 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And this certainly won’t confuse the core demo of fans that lean older and typically don’t keep up with all these newer streaming services.

Is it too much to ask that I can sign up for MLB.TV and get in market streaming for Orioles telecasts. There is a huge opportunity there for MLB to offer fans who  don’t want  cable, but will pay money to watch their home team’s games without having to resort to other (questionable) means. 

Sadly MLB.TV has its own issues sometimes.  I used it often when I lived out of state. 

Buffering issues, and games often being 30-60 seconds behind live action, which made it tricky to hang out in game threads with the community here. 

In fairness it's been several years since I had to use it... maybe the service has improved, I'm not sure. 

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s only so many streaming services I can take in.  

Cmon Frobby, You get each of your kids to get 1-2 services and you combine them all for all participants. I have HBO Max thru cell and Amazon Prime but get Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, Pandora, Peacock thru the kids.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

What streaming service has MASN?  The only one I could find last year was DirectvStream (or whatever its called).  It was OK but not the best.  I'm hoping there might be other options this year but I'm not holding my breath, and I'm prepared to go back to Directv if needed.....

That one.  Their 2nd tier (and above) programming package.  

1 minute ago, AnythingO's said:

Cmon Frobby, You get each of your kids to get 1-2 services and you combine them all for all participants. I have HBO Max thru cell and Amazon Prime but get Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, Pandora, Peacock thru the kids.

You must have a different relationship with your kids than I do.  My relationship involves them leaching off me, not the other way around!  I get Prime, Netflix, HBO Max, Disney Plus (thank you, MLBAM!) and Hulu.   Considering I never had HBO cable, I’ve got enough retroactive streaming contact to last me a couple of decades.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I just hope I can get them on my MLB app

You won't.  At least I couldn't get the ones last year that were on Apple only.  Picture quality was great, broadcasters were terrible.  They should all be on MLB.TV, none of this having to get to other services crap.  

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know if I have Peacock in all of that mess and it's going to be obnoxious to figure out to what lengths I'll have to go to watch my stupid baseball team.  Am I going to have to download an app or something and agree to their $7.99 per month bill if I don't cancel it within the next 5 days, their hopes for monthly recurring revenue riding on people being too lazy and/or stupid to remember to cancel?  Probably.

Will I?  Probably.  

Is it annoying?  Definitely.  And for people who aren't afraid of technology like myself, it's not too much of a bother to do it.  Forgetting 8 bucks a month or whatever it is, is a light Indian burn on a forearm, not an all out titty twister that would leave you grapsing your chest and wondering what the **** you did to deserve it.

You're over 40 and labeling yourself "younger folk".  Nice try middle aged man.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Flip side is there are a lot of younger folks who have ditched cable/satellite completly and get all the TV they get from a combination of various streaming services.   They don't get MASN or ESPN.    This might expose some of them to MLB that they wouldn't otherwise be exposed to.

Define 'younger' I guess.  I've ditched cable too and have a combination of streaming services.  The problem is, I don't have them ALL, peacock being one of them, and even then with a streaming service 99% of the time you know what you are looking for,  you don't just click through channels (I know that's not how it works, but the idea is the same) and stumble across something like the Os playing.  So the added exposure really doesn't seem to happen with streaming like it can/does with more traditional TV services.  Kids hear about other shows through social media, and then look for them....usually don't just open streaming service X and see what's currently playing.  I doubt many new fans are exposed to the MLB from something like this.  Certainly not enough to offset the annoyance of the rest of us who buy MLB.tv, then have games like this we can't watch on the streaming service we signed up to use.  Dumb.  

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Might just get a small number of new fans who happen to watch a game because it's what's on the streaming service they use most. 

Maybe?