Orioles five year lease extension expires today.

Going Underground

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, that statement is not nearly as obsequious as the Angelos quote about Moore, which mentions him four times.  Whatever.  Just get the deal done.  

I get it (it was a lot of fluff), but I certainly didn't read the message and immediately think it had any political undertones.  And I don't really see why John Angelos' political ties have any relevance to these these conversations. Politics, in general, have become such a divisive topic in recent years and I really hope we can avoid crossing that line like it seemed we did in the Cal Perry thread. I'm just here to talk baseball.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

If I was a conspiracy theory type I would wonder if John Angelos/Orioles own any of the property of the area that is being fixed up. Not saying they do. 

At the end of the day the 5 year lease made no sense. The long term lease will get done and a mutual admiration societyesque statement and perhaps press conference will be held. 

Don't think Angelos owns any property around there. . CBAC bought up most of the land and property. Horseshoe is owned by Caesars Entertainment mostly .I think now up to around 80% ownership of the Horseshoe. The other gaming company, Jacks or whatever it is called now ,owned most of the rest of Horseshoe Baltimore. Land was bought up and developed by Caves Valley Partners and they did some joint ventures. So far with Topgolf and the Paramount,which owns a music club on Long Island. Down the road ,CVP and CBAC want to built a hotel and working with retailers and restaurant local and national on future retail space. Heard Adam Fraziet might be an investor in the development  66 Degrees of Adam Frazier. 😀

There will be a quiz on this later. 

This is all a big whatever IMO. They're going to get it done. Baltimore City doesn't want to deal with suddenly not having a MLB team. It's just Angelos angling for some redevelopment money and having that help his "business", which he seems to be intent on growing in all ways not involving the actual Orioles baseball team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is all a big whatever IMO. They're going to get it done. Baltimore City doesn't want to deal with suddenly not having a MLB team. It's just Angelos angling for some redevelopment money and having that help his "business", which he seems to be intent on growing in all ways not involving the actual Orioles baseball team. 

Still don't think John will sell unless forced by the league .What else does he have really?

Just now, Going Underground said:

Still don't think John will sell unless forced by the league .What else does he have really?

Yeah I tend to agree. If he wanted to sell, he would make less of a stink about everything lol. Musical acts! Phony press conferences! Yelling at reporters! Redeveloping downtown Baltimore! 

You could argue that's all stuff that entices someone to buy (new revenue streams, modernized front office, etc), and sure, yes, that's correct. But he's awfully loud about all of that and wanting to be seen as The Guy. I think if he wanted to sell, he could do all that while basically never showing his face or saying anything ever. It just doesn't give the vibe that he's selling. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah I tend to agree. If he wanted to sell, he would make less of a stink about everything lol. Musical acts! Phony press conferences! Yelling at reporters! Redeveloping downtown Baltimore! 

You could argue that's all stuff that entices someone to buy (new revenue streams, modernized front office, etc), and sure, yes, that's correct. But he's awfully loud about all of that and wanting to be seen as The Guy. I think if he wanted to sell, he could do all that while basically never showing his face or saying anything ever. It just doesn't give the vibe that he's selling. 

I would discuss this more but I don't think it is  appropriate with Fred the groundhog dying.

A Canadian groundhog was found dead just before he was supposed to predict if we'd get more winter
https://sports.yahoo.com/canadian-groundhog-found-dead-just-152458188.html

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know Murphy personally, but I know of him and I know his law firm, Zuckerman Spaeder, extremely well.   They are a top notch firm for representing other law firms, especially with respect to ethical issues and professional malpractice claims.   I can’t think of a better firm to sort out the Angelos firm’s issues.   

Wonder if he can recapture the $64 million that was allegedly plucked from Peter’s bank account.

BTW, I can’t see how Peter’s wife doesn’t have the ability to do whatever she wants. Even while he’s still alive I would think she has the right to do so by marriage…No?

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Wonder if he can recapture the $64 million that was allegedly plucked from Peter’s bank account.

BTW, I can’t see how Peter’s wife doesn’t have the ability to do whatever she wants. Even while he’s still alive I would think she has the right to do so by marriage…No?

I haven’t read the exact allegations about the bank account, but unless it was a law firm account, the conservator of the law firm won’t have anything to do with recouping those funds.   To your second question, unless the back account was jointly in the name of Peter and Georgia, she’d have no rights to remove money from Peter’s account just because she’s his wife.   It’s only her power of attorney that authorizes her to do that.   But if it’s a joint account, then sure she could remove money even without a POA.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I haven’t read the exact allegations about the bank account, but unless it was a law firm account, the conservator of the law firm won’t have anything to do with recouping those funds.   To your second question, unless the back account was jointly in the name of Peter and Georgia, she’d have no rights to remove money from Peter’s account just because she’s his wife.   It’s only her power of attorney that authorizes her to do that.   But if it’s a joint account, then sure she could remove money even without a POA.

Thanks …I’d love to know more details on the claim. But I just haven’t 

I think this is a delay tactic by the Angelos's's's.  They clearly won't sell until Peter passes, which could happen anytime.  The team has more value not being tied up in a long-term lease.  A prospective buyer would rather have a clean slate to negotiate his/her own deals.

7 hours ago, interloper said:

John stopped the sale negotiations his mother had already started. He wants to stay in charge (majority owner) and have control of the revenue stream. The Guy is absolutely right. This from the latest lawsuit by Louis:

"The new filing depicts John Angelos as an aggrieved son who felt underappreciated and underpaid by his father. It quotes from so-called manifestoes that John Angelos wrote, including one from March 3, 2015, in which he said he’s created hundreds of millions of dollars of cash flow and wealth for the family’s companies yet his salary never exceeded $175,000 at the Orioles or $225,000 at Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, also known as MASN."

When the O's ST was still in Ft. Lauderdale and it was the worst facility in MLB, PA sent JA down to negotiate a lease extension and get the City to pay for facility improvements. He failed and PA had to step in to get an extension. The PA sent JA to the west coast to find a new ST site (Fort Meyers I believe) and he again played hard ball and failed. PA had to step in and eventually they got the deal they have now. PA put JA in charge of MASN from the beginning and JA did........????? Why do we have any faith that JA will successfully negotiate with MD Sports Authority???????     

18 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

John stopped the sale negotiations his mother had already started. He wants to stay in charge (majority owner) and have control of the revenue stream. The Guy is absolutely right. This from the latest lawsuit by Louis:

"The new filing depicts John Angelos as an aggrieved son who felt underappreciated and underpaid by his father. It quotes from so-called manifestoes that John Angelos wrote, including one from March 3, 2015, in which he said he’s created hundreds of millions of dollars of cash flow and wealth for the family’s companies yet his salary never exceeded $175,000 at the Orioles or $225,000 at Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, also known as MASN."

When the O's ST was still in Ft. Lauderdale and it was the worst facility in MLB, PA sent JA down to negotiate a lease extension and get the City to pay for facility improvements. He failed and PA had to step in to get an extension. The PA sent JA to the west coast to find a new ST site (Fort Meyers I believe) and he again played hard ball and failed. PA had to step in and eventually they got the deal they have now. PA put JA in charge of MASN from the beginning and JA did........????? Why do we have any faith that JA will successfully negotiate with MD Sports Authority???????     

The MD Stadium Authority is offering the Orioles $600M. They exist to benefit local sports teams. 

I have no idea what t’s need to be crossed and i’s dotted. I don’t see what needs to be negotiated. I’m sure it’s something more than paperwork but at the core is the money being offered to improve the stadium. I don’t know what there is to screw up.