ESPN Top 100

Pat Kelly

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

They didn’t lose money.  Lol

Again, there is money coming in they didn’t report. They are greedy lawyers, they don’t lose money doing anything.

Don't EVER confuse me with those who believe the Forbes-MLB numbers tell the whole story. There were years the NYY have a loss on paper lol. However, we have heard in the past that PA "loaned" money to the team so I assume they run the team like a business and try to make a profit. If they failed, PA would supplement but whether that money came from MASN or the law firm or real estate profits, who knows. I am sure that JA doesn't have that disposable income now.

2 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Don't EVER confuse me with those who believe the Forbes-MLB numbers tell the whole story. There were years the NYY have a loss on paper lol. However, we have heard in the past that PA "loaned" money to the team so I assume they run the team like a business and try to make a profit. If they failed, PA would supplement but whether that money came from MASN or the law firm or real estate profits, who knows. I am sure that JA doesn't have that disposable income now.

I figured the "loans" were not because the team was actually in need of funds but were a form of accounting chicanery.  You loan the team 10M at a high rate of interest and then make payments to yourself.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I figured the "loans" were not because the team was actually in need of funds but were a form of accounting chicanery.  You loan the team 10M at a high rate of interest and then make payments to yourself.

I admit, as negative as I am about the Angelos clan, I never thought of that angle. Well done. I always figured PA was loaning MASN profits to the team so he could claim he was investing the RSN money into the team like he promised.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

My favorite type of loan.  Reduction of tax liability while making some additional dollars.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

From what I've heard the network makes the team look lavish.

So you mean the network.  Well, I was just telling my wife what an amateurish operation it is.   I don’t know what the other small/mid-market team-owned RSN’s look like, but it’s hard to believe they could be more rinky-dink than MASN.

1 hour ago, AnythingO's said:

No, JA is cash poor, as I have been saying for a while.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No, JA is cash poor, as I have been saying for a while.

Well these last 2 years he has been flush with cash flow surplus. We have no idea what other debts he has incurred during this time but Lou infers JA has been trying to buy up other shares. At a $1.375 B valuation that's $13.75 M per 1 % share. May be where the $26.5 M went, the first withdrawal from PA's checking account, the math works.

ESPN KIley's team rankings up this morning - BAL #1 with a 466-354 edge on #2 ARZ in Projected Surplus Value.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/35490490/top-30-mlb-farm-systems-prospects-list-2023-kiley-mcdaniel

These rankings of all 30 organizations were done, for the most part, the same way as last year's version. In short, while at FanGraphs, research by Craig Edwards (who now works for the MLB Players Association) revealed empirical surplus dollar values for each future value tier of prospect, so we can now make an objective ranking of farm systems derived from my individual team lists, which have been completed and will be published next week.

Around the AL:

BAL 465, NYY 275, TBR 255, BOS 195, TOR 150

CLE 310, MIN 190, DET 155, CHW 135, KCR 115

TEX 230, OAK 185, LAA 135, HOU 115, SEA 110 

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2