Kiley McDaniel's 2023 top 100

mhd24

Some Povich love!  🥳 Does anyone know how McDaniel weighs his rankings?  Like does he use analytics and x-stats more/less?  

And glad to see Mayo get some big praise too!  Another good year (and some attrition above) could put him in the top 20!

Is this the highest we've seen Cowser too?  The gap in his ranking is pretty staggering.

Has Holliday as the highest of any 2022 draftee. Also deliberately refers to Cowser as a CF. 

Other things I found interesting: Gave Norby a Gleyber Torres 2022 season comp. Also, his note on Westburg is almost identical to Law's "a bit above average at everything on a baseball field."

46 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Has Holliday as the highest of any 2022 draftee. Also deliberately refers to Cowser as a CF. 

Other things I found interesting: Gave Norby a Gleyber Torres 2022 season comp. Also, his note on Westburg is almost identical to Law's "a bit above average at everything on a baseball field."

Seems like that’s been the pretty consistent report on Westburg for a couple of years.   I’d heard a few rumblings about his defense at the start of the offseason but the evaluations I’ve read recently seem more positive.  

Surprises for me.

1. Hall not in the top 100

2. Holliday is not a slam dunk SS.  Might be average there.

3. Henderson is average at SS.  A .260 hitter?

4. Norby is average at 2B.  A good surprise.

5. Ortiz has above average speed.

6. Cowser can stick in CF.

7. Mayo should be average defensively at 3B.  Another good surprise.

8. The write up on Povich 92-94 is not surprising but the ranking #54 certainly is.  

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Is that a happy wtf?

He likes him better than Hall.  That’s for sure.   Mayo slightly ahead of Veen too!

No, it’s a wtf is he thinking. 

I mean, I like Povich but he’s not one of our ten best prospects, isn’t a top 55 overall prospect and didn’t exactly go to AA and perform that well, albeit a SSS  but if you are going to have him this high, he needed to be better than a 6+ ERA guy in AA, SSS or not.

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, it’s a wtf is he thinking. 

I mean, I like Povich but he’s not one of our ten best prospects, isn’t a top 55 overall prospect and didn’t exactly go to AA and perform that well, albeit a SSS  but if you are going to have him this high, he needed to be better than a 6+ ERA guy in AA, SSS or not.

He's going out on a limb but ranking these guys has as much to do as what he thinks they'll do as much as what they've actually done.  

Povich’s AA stint was interesting.  He had three very good outings and three very bad ones, including one I attended. In that game, he piggybacked off a Grayson Rodriguez rehab start in the third inning.   His command was off, the ump had a very tight strike zone, and he was victimized by a very good bunt.  Only one ball was hit in the air off him but he ended up giving up 4 runs on 4 singles and two walks in 0.2 innings.  Honestly it wasn’t that far off being a decent outing but he couldn’t catch a break.  54 seems like a very high ranking for him, but its good to know that a knowledgeable evaluator thinks that highly of him.

Povich is 6’3” long and lean.  At 22 y/o he’s he’s going to get stronger.  He fills the zone, throws a few different shaped breaking pitches and hides the ball well.  He’s got the tools to have a lot of success.  If he can add 2mph on his fastball, watch out.  From what I’ve read it sounds like that was his focus this off-season.  I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.  It’s nice to see him getting some love.  

On 2/1/2023 at 7:57 AM, mhd24 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/35490487/top-100-mlb-prospects-list-2023-kiley-mcdaniel

He has 9 Orioles in his top 100.

1). Gunnar

12). Grayson

17). Holliday

30). Cowser

47). Mayo

54). Povich

66). Westburg

71). Ortiz

92). Norby

Also mentioned that Stowers & Hall just missed the cut.

One other thing, I'm surprised he thought Stowers was still eligible. He was not due to his time on the 26-man roster last year.