36 pitchers are due to report to O's ST today

wildcard

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

From USA Today:

Camps for the the Grapefruit and Cactus Leagues start welcoming players in the first weeks of February – but this year is a bit different with the World Baseball Classic scheduled to take place in March during the spring training schedule.

Pitchers and catchers participating in the tournament will report to their respective camps by Feb. 13 and position players by Feb. 16. The first round of the WBC begins on March 8, with the championship game on March 21 in Miami.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2023/01/12/2023-mlb-spring-training-pitcher-catcher-report-dates-every-team/11040189002/

Are you certain "their respective camps" means their WBC teams instead of their MLB teams?   I don't think the WBC teams are assembling this early.   I see Aaron Judge is in Tampa with the Yankees.   Ronald Acuna is in North Port with the Braves.

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

In his defense, the traffic down there really, really sucks during this time of year. Now, Sarasota weather in February and March is pretty much perfect besides some rain showers, and yes, I used to love going down there during this time, but man travel anywhere near Tampa and Sarasota just absolutely sucks.  

Besides, I'm sure he's burnt out a bit after so many years of the same gig. Trust me, once the shine wears off, it's just work. Basically he's down there to collect the same old quotes from the same old manager, coaches and players that really don't mean much outside of injuries or truly fantastic or terrible performance. 

The wind can be a bit much.

We made a big family trip down there last year to catch some ST.  And then the lockout happened and there was no ST.  Still had a great time, we stayed at Siesta Key and it was beautiful.  Didn't even bother to drive by Ed Smith even though baseball was originally the entire reason for planning the trip haha.

Oh well.  We'll get there another year.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Are you certain "their respective camps" means their WBC teams instead of their MLB teams?   I don't think the WBC teams are assembling this early.   I see Aaron Judge is in Tampa with the Yankees.   Ronald Acuna is in North Port with the Braves.

Yeah, Wildcard misunderstood that. Kremer is in Sarasota with the rest of the team right now. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

It would be.  I think he works hard at staying on top of everything but he also doesn't have to dig for information.  Players are readily available to him.  

I don’t have the issues with Roch like most do. I think he does a fairly good job considering the obstacles he has.

That said, this particular schtick gets annoying. I mean, I get it. He’s married, has a new grand kid, etc…he doesn’t like to be away from all of that.  But he was using this schtick prior to that stuff recently happening.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You beat me to it hahaha... I would pay to see a SG write up after a horrific loss. 

I mean, we pretty much get them here, I guess. But on "official" team letterhead.

Well, I’ve read SG’s stuff before. I think he could handle it.

Stories aren’t that hard to come by and sentence structure in the English language is a dying craft.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

In his defense, the traffic down there really, really sucks during this time of year. Now, Sarasota weather in February and March is pretty much perfect besides some rain showers, and yes, I used to love going down there during this time, but man travel anywhere near Tampa and Sarasota just absolutely sucks.  

Besides, I'm sure he's burnt out a bit after so many years of the same gig. Trust me, once the shine wears off, it's just work. Basically he's down there to collect the same old quotes from the same old manager, coaches and players that really don't mean much outside of injuries or truly fantastic or terrible performance. 

I do agree with this. At some point, the luster wears off and it’s just 6 weeks away from your family.

But damn, things could be a lot worse.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jagwar said:

After Akin's so-so 2nd half in 2022, I'm wondering if Hall can beat him out for the multi-inning role. 

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think Hall would have a good chance of beating out Akin except for Elias wanting him to be a starter.  I think him beginning the season at AAA is a priority for his development if he is not ready to  be a starter in the majors.

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

We know who has the better stuff. I’ve liked Akin since he’s been in the pen, but he could be the odd man out.

I think Akin's 2nd half being bad is a little bit overblown. Yes, he had a 4.53 ERA in the 2nd half, but he had a 2.89 FIP and his ERA was inflated by a few bad outings. I don't see any way besides getting hurt or completely imploding this spring with a drop off of stuff that Akin would not make the team in his same role. Now Wells or Voth could also be out there in an extended role.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I don't have a link to give you. If you're on Instagram you can look at the official Orioles account's posts from today and Kremer is there. 

Ok, thanks.

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Aaron Judge is not listed has  an outfielder playing for the USA.  Is he playing for another WBC team?

https://www.mlb.com/news/team-usa-world-baseball-classic-2023-roster 

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

Ok.  I am wrong.  This article says WBC team USA reports on March 6th.

https://www.mlb.com/news/world-baseball-classic-2023-workout-dates

I know Baker has better stuff, but why are we just assuming that Baker beats out Khriebel?  Khriebel was used as the more trusted reliever all season.  I hope Baker puts it all together, but I'm also giving Khriebel a break for a couple of bad outings at the end of the year.  The dude was rock solid for us last year.  Guys develop roles over 162.  Khriebel was used by Hyde consistently over Baker in high leverage situations.  

Edited by sportsfan8703