Schoenfeld gives Os offseason a D+

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or it could have just been an expert in the field giving his unbiased opinion.

Which is what I got out of it.

The quote said nothing about trading 2-3 top prospects, it just mentions trade chips, which we are all in agreement the O's have.

It could be a totally unbiased opinion.  It struck a different chord with me and at least one other.    It’s fair to say they could have traded chips for a starter.  We’re back to talking about Cedric Mullins for Pablo Lopez or speculating on pitchers like Corbin Burnes who apparently isn’t even available.  What top pitching was traded this offseason?   Anyone higher profile than Pablo Lopez?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Acting like some exec is pouting because we wouldn’t trade with him is absurd.

The opinion of that exec is spot on. To think that a lot of people don’t see the same thing most of us do is just dumb.

Look, it isn't dumb to disagree with you.  Who do you think you are?  Your constant insults of the intelligence of anyone who disagrees with you is really tiresome.  Did you like the Bud Norris trade?  If a trade like that was offered to Elias, would you want him to accept it?

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Acting like some exec is pouting because we wouldn’t trade with him is absurd.

The opinion of that exec is spot on. To think that a lot of people don’t see the same thing most of us do is just dumb.

I don’t think anyone is disagreeing with his opinion that the Orioles could have been a lot bolder this past off-season.   So, which people are you talking about?

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

Look, it isn't dumb to disagree with you.  Who do you think you are?  Your constant insults of the intelligence of anyone who disagrees with you is really tiresome.  Did you like the Bud Norris trade?  If a trade like that was offered to Elias, would you want him to accept it?

They say, with some people, they’d be dangerous if they had a brain.  Unfortunately, with SG we’ll never know.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t think anyone is disagreeing with his opinion that the Orioles could have been a lot bolder this past off-season.   So, which people are you talking about?

The strawmen that they are constantly arguing with who goes around claiming Elias is Jesus Christ ressurected.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I’ve yet to see anyone embrace that stance. It is a straw man. 

IMO the board should be far more pro-FO than it is.  But I think that is largely a product of the psychology of social media.  People like to spend a lot more time criticizing than they do praising.

24 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Yes, it’s dumb to think that a professional is ranting to a baseball writer and disparaging a team because they didn’t make a trade with them.

20 minutes ago, Pickles said:

IMO the board should be far more pro-FO than it is.  But I think that is largely a product of the psychology of social media.  People like to spend a lot more time criticizing than they do praising.

I think anti owner is more of a prevailing thought and how we don’t know what he doesn’t allow.

20 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think anti owner is more of a prevailing thought and how we don’t know what he doesn’t allow.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, it’s dumb to think that a professional is ranting to a baseball writer and disparaging a team because they didn’t make a trade with them.

You didn't answer the question.

The Irvin trade shows that Elias is, indeed, willing to trade prospects for pitching.  He just isn't willing to make a bad trade.  Oakland was willing to make a reasonable trade.  Pretending it didn't happen is just silly.  In order for a team to get Elias to pull the trigger on a trade for a better prospect than Hernaiz, the player(s) that come back have to be better than Irvin.  I'm OK with that.  You would be the first one to scream at a trade of a top prospect for a middling return.  We all know this.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Number5 said:

You didn't answer the question.

The Irvin trade shows that Elias is, indeed, willing to trade prospects for pitching.  He just isn't willing to make a bad trade.  Oakland was willing to make a reasonable trade.  Pretending it didn't happen is just silly.  In order for a team to get Elias to pull the trigger on a trade for a better prospect than Hernaiz, the player(s) that come back have to be better than Irvin.  I'm OK with that.  You would be the first one to scream at a trade of a top prospect for a middling return.  We all know this.

I never asked for top prospect for middling player trades. Keep up the strawman though. 

And no I didn’t like the Norris trade.

Edited by Sports Guy

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I never asked for top prospect for middling player trades. Keep up the strawman though. 

Of course you won't answer my question regarding the Norris trade or acknowledge that Elias did trade Hernaiz for Irvin+.  That wouldn't fit your narrative.  Trying to claim that the Orioles are unwilling to make trades flies in the face of reality.  The comments by the mysterious exec were tactless, and were left unsupported.  If we aren't going to consider what really happened over some blind comment that smacks of sour grapes, I don't know what to tell you.  The exec's comments, and your support of them, are the strawman arguments here.  I'm discussing actual events.  Yet, to you, that is dumb.  

Edited by Number5