Angelos Claims He's Not Selling

ThisIsBirdland

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If they win and we see that he's added payroll then he will get as much credit as any owner. At the end of the day, the best thing he's done is hire Elias and let him do what he needed to do until this year when I think he gave Elias  lower budget then he was expecting. Now that's my impression based off his "lift off" comment and then watching Elias have to walk back the comment.

Now, it might be on Elias that they didn't spend much and of course I was not particularly happy with how he used his additional expenses this season by signing an unneeded (in my opinion) Frazier. 

I agree with people that Angelos wants a legacy and right now his legacy, and that of his father, is of privilege and failure as owners. If the Orioles win a World Series though, he gets the ownership credit for hiring Elias and ultimately providing the funds to make it happen. I don't see anyone could not give him credit if they do win the Wolrd Series under his ownership.

I agree with this except I don’t think John cares about winning. I think he was pretty clear that he’s more interested in concerts and partnerships than whatever happens with the club. But like you said, if he lets Elias do his thing to create a championship, he’ll succeed where his old man didn’t. And that, I think, is his real motivation. 

19 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And let’s face it, he's in bed with the mayor of Baltimore, which probably means they are stealing from somewhere, considering that’s what politicians in Baltimore do in their spare time.

He May have donated that money (again for tax write off purposes, as all rich people do) but there is something in it for him for sure…the “let me pay myself on the back” press conference is a small part of that.

Exactly.  Of course it is great, in a vacuum, that he made this pledge.  But there are obvious, self-serving reasons that he did so.  The patting on the back, look at me energy was in full force at that press conference.

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

The only criticism I have of John Angelos as an owner relates to the team's payroll. Everything else is minutiae to me and I think much of the hate he gets on in this forum is consciously or subconsciously tied to his political leanings/affiliations. If he's willing to commit to extending the OPACY lease,  bump up the team's payroll over the next few seasons, and continue to invest in the future then he can publish a press release every week for all I care. 

It's more than just the payroll though. There have been some odd penny-pinching moves in the last few years that not been fan friendly. An organization with aspirations of being first-class needs to fix that, and that's all on Angelos.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jabba72 said:

If true, kind of interesting priorities to have when you're the owner. 

I think that’s a real misrepresentation of what he said.  He basically said he leaves the running of the baseball team to the baseball people, and his job is to focus on broader issues like the private-public partnership between the Orioles, the Ravens and the City.   There was plenty of harmless BS in the interview but I was happy with the big picture items: the team isn’t going anywhere and the baseball people are running the baseball team.  

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think that’s a real misrepresentation of what he said.  He basically said he leaves the running of the baseball team to the baseball people, and his job is to focus on broader issues like the private-public partnership between the Orioles, the Ravens and the City.   There was plenty of harmless BS in the interview but I was happy with the big picture items: the team isn’t going anywhere and the baseball people are running the baseball team.  

I dont really like his quote of "its not my job to predict payroll", Whose job is it if not the owners?

He's the one setting the payroll. Nobody else.  

Just now, jabba72 said:

I dont really like his quote of "its not my job to predict payroll", Whose job is it if not the owners?

He's the one setting the payroll. Nobody else.  

It sounds to me like he sets a budget for Baseball Ops, and the baseball people decide how to spend it, thus they are ultimately determining the major league payroll.  If true, that's even better news.

44 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Actually, I think it's good.  He's not going to involve himself in the baseball decision-making.  We should all be thrilled.

If Angelos came up and kicked you in the nads, I bet you'd thank him for not cutting them off. :D 

If you really think owners allow GMs to decide their budgets then you are delusional.