Angelos Claims He's Not Selling

ThisIsBirdland

14 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Elias is much smarter and better at building a baseball team than Angelos. That falls under professional, not human.  The human part was, in a tiny sample size, him using MLK to hide behind a legitimate question.  That really lowered my opinion of him as a person.

And contrary to your incorrect belief,  I am not running away, I am citing to the plain language of my argument and explaining it to you. 

You've used perpetually caustic language to describe John Angelos on this forum, and had plenty of vitriol to hurl at anyone who didn't.

As for John Angelos and MLK day... he was speaking with the Mayor of Baltimore at a press conference to promote an organization called "College Bound". An organization that offers college scholarships to disadvantaged youth in Baltimore. An organization to which John Angelos had donated $5,000,000 of his own money, that very day.

It was not an event intended to discuss the business of the Orioles. And it was I think a little bit untoward of the press to start asking questions about the Orioles finances at such an event. John Angelos was a bit hamfisted in swatting those questions away.

What you characterize as "hiding behind".. was actually indignation at having been asked such a question at an event that was philanthropic.

Once again... he was at an event for an organization to which he had just donated $5,000,000.

Call me back when you've donated even ten bucks.. Then you can tell me what a cheap jerk this guy is..

Edited by owknows
spelling
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, owknows said:

I watched Angelos say some silly and self-serving adolescent things.

I've also seen him do quietly do some fundamentally decent things.

On the whole, I'd say he's like most people...  human. With strengths and failings.

Unlike you, I don't believe that entitles me to denigrate him as a substandard human being because I don't believe he spent enough money on free agents.

That would seem a rather childish and petulant position.

He’s awful. I know some people that have worked close with him and he’s the type of person that no one has good things to say about.

I mean, he’s a lawyer and let’s face it, that’s not a profession with lots of “good guys”. Frobby is more of an exception than a rule.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Still .. ,the lack of accountability and not even having any basic metrics or criteria for quality of ownership is why dysfunctional individuals like Angelos can continue to operate with impunity for decades and apparently decades to come. 

As much as I want to see them sell, I don't support any environment where people can dictate whether a particular group or person can own a business. At least not where the government or in this case a brand like MLB or NFL can dictate it.

As fans we can choose to not support a team and spend money on them. That's about it. We are along for the ride.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

You've used perpetually caustic language to describe John Angelos on this forum, and had plenty of vitriol to hurl at anyone who didn't.

As for John Angelos and MLK day... he was speaking with the Mayor of Baltimore at a press conference to promote an organization called "College Bound". An organization that offers college scholarships to disadvantaged youth in Baltimore. An organization to which John Angelos had donated $5,000,000 of his own money, that very day.

It was not an event intended to discuss the business of the Orioles. And it was I think a little bit untoward of the press to start asking questions about the Orioles finances at such an event. John Angelos was a bit hamfisted in swatting those questions away.

What you characterize as "hiding behind".. was actually indignation at having been asked such a question at an event that was philanthropic.

Once again... he was at an event for an organization to which he had just donated $5,000,000.

Call me back when you've donated even ten bucks.. Then you can tell me what a cheap jerk this guy is..

Lol…donating tax write offs doesn’t make you a good person and he probably is getting that back in more ways than one. 

He’s a phony.

• Upvote 1

I'm about as sick of the Angelos family follies as anyone else, but my canary in a coal mine is Elias.  If he decides to leave for greener pastures before we are a contender, I'll stop giving John Angelos any benefit of the doubt.  However, Elias seems happy in the job.  Hopefully, a long term lease is signed soon.  Extra credit if the MASN lawsuit is resolved. How I wish DeWitt would have purchased the Orioles from Jacobs before the bankruptcy court got involved.

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

Angelos made it into a big thing to toot his own horn.  That was pretty obvious.  He could have just made the donation and everyone could have gone on with their lives.  For what it's worth, I am in the majority of people who think Angelos reaction was rude and he was trying to hide behind MLK Day.  You can look at this thread alone to see how many people make fun of him with the "Hey, it's National Funnel Cake Day!" comments when he says something.

And how do you know I have not donated $10 bucks to this charity? Or other charities?  I donated to Damar Hamlin's charity, and I did not call a press conference for it.

With respect to my caustic language against Angelos - he is a bad owner, and I blame him for the Orioles not spending money this offseason to improve the team.  He's a public figure subject to criticism for that (and it's much harder to defame him under the law, not that I have done that).  It's pathetic that the Orioles have the second lowest payroll in MLB.  And for that, I blame the Angeloses. 

3 minutes ago, kaj21206 said:

I'm about as sick of the Angelos family follies as anyone else, but my canary in a coal mine is Elias.  If he decides to leave for greener pastures before we are a contender, I'll stop giving John Angelos any benefit of the doubt.  However, Elias seems happy in the job.  Hopefully, a long term lease is signed soon.  Extra credit if the MASN lawsuit is resolved. How I wish DeWitt would have purchased the Orioles from Jacobs before the bankruptcy court got involved.

JA has been good for some things. Signing Elias and paying him a lot is one of them. 

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Angelos made it into a big thing to toot his own horn.  That was pretty obvious.  He could have just made the donation and everyone could have gone on with their lives.  For what it's worth, I am in the majority of people who think Angelos reaction was rude and he was trying to hide behind MLK Day.  You can look at this thread alone to see how many people make fun of him with the "Hey, it's National Funnel Cake Day!" comments when he says something.

And how do you know I have not donated $10 bucks to this charity? Or other charities?  I donated to Damar Hamlin's charity, and I did not call a press conference for it.

With respect to my caustic language against Angelos - he is a bad owner, and I blame him for the Orioles not spending money this offseason to improve the team.  He's a public figure subject to criticism for that (and it's much harder to defame him under the law, not that I have done that).  It's pathetic that the Orioles have the second lowest payroll in MLB.  And for that, I blame the Angeloses. 

Of course..he openly admitted to not wanting to spend money because the team isn’t bringing in money. 

Its 100% his fault.

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Fans are allowed to dislike their owner.  And for years, the Angeloses have given fans lots of reasons to dislike them. 

And let’s face it, he's in bed with the mayor of Baltimore, which probably means they are stealing from somewhere, considering that’s what politicians in Baltimore do in their spare time.

He May have donated that money (again for tax write off purposes, as all rich people do) but there is something in it for him for sure…the “let me pay myself on the back” press conference is a small part of that.