Fangraphs top 100

Frobby

11 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Is Grayson lower on this list then others?

I think a lot has to do with him being 23+.  The shiny new toy lost just a little bit of it's luster.  At this point I don't care so much about the rankings; I just want him to come up and perform.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Is Grayson lower on this list then others?

I think Keith Law had him about there.   Reading the write-up, I think Longenhagen was influenced by the fact that Grayson’s stuff wasn’t as sharp when he returned from the lat strain.  Personally I’m not too worried about that.  

• Like 1

Mayo's high placement is notable alongside this tidbit in the introduction:

We gravitate toward up-the-middle defenders littered all throughout the minor leagues, and really only tend to push corner bats onto the list when they’re close to the big leagues, or if we have an abnormal degree of confidence that they will continue to hit all the way through the minors. High-risk hitters with huge tools are also welcome since FV is a subjective way to factor both ceiling and risk into the same grade.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think a lot has to do with him being 23+.  The shiny new toy lost just a little bit of it's luster.  At this point I don't care so much about the rankings; I just want him to come up and perform.  

Agreed!  But still SP Pfaadt at #16 is older than Grayson.  

One of the interesting features of this list is the probability charts for each player.  For example, Gunnar’s distribution looks like this:

Bust 5%
40/45 7%
50/55 33%
60/65 30%
70+ 25%

You gotta love that.   The bust chances on the others are way higher:

Holliday 22%
Rodriguez 40%
Mayo 32%
Hall 25%
Ortiz 22%

The Rodriguez bust rate makes zero sense to me.  Higher than Hall’s?  No way.   I’ll have to dig around, but I think Fangraphs did these charts last year too  and Rodriguez had a way lower bust rate   .

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You gotta love that.   The bust chances on the others are way higher:

Holliday 22%
Rodriguez 40%
Mayo 32%
Hall 25%
Ortiz 22%

The Rodriguez bust rate makes zero sense to me.  Higher than Hall’s?  No way.   I’ll have to dig around, but I think Fangraphs did these charts last year too  and Rodriguez had a way lower bust rate   .

I noticed that too. I thought at first they must be applying high bust rates to all the SPs, but Grayson's bust % was still higher than any of the other SPs near him on the list. 

I wonder if the gap between his and Hall's is partially because they're classifying Hall as a reliever.