2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

Glad to see McCann showed me wrong.  Mateo was about as bad with the bat as I expected, though he did have a least one hard hit ball to the defender, but even McKenna had two hits. Hey, I'm always happy to eat crow if it means the O's win.  I'll still be 'crying' next time Mateo is in the starting lineup, but for today at least the crow always tastes better after an Orioles win!

29 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Glad to see McCann showed me wrong.  Mateo was about as bad with the bat as I expected, though he did have a least one hard hit ball to the defender, but even McKenna had two hits. Hey, I'm always happy to eat crow if it means the O's win.  I'll still be 'crying' next time Mateo is in the starting lineup, but for today at least the crow always tastes better after an Orioles win!

You’ve cried about every lineup this season

• Upvote 1

With another lefty throwing today do you run the same lineup out? My only thought would be you maybe start Frazier or Urias and sit Gunnar. It would be nice to give him 2 days off before the home stretch. Also DH Adley again since McCann is playing so well and can keep Adley fresh. 

40 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

With another lefty throwing today do you run the same lineup out? My only thought would be you maybe start Frazier or Urias and sit Gunnar. It would be nice to give him 2 days off before the home stretch. Also DH Adley again since McCann is playing so well and can keep Adley fresh. 

I understand the Gunnar plan and agree. Might you make the same argument for Adley. A real day off, not DHing, would seem to be in order for him, IMHO. If Santander is healthy, DH him, sit Gunnar and Adley. Go with Urias at 3rd, Mateo at SS and Westburg at 2B. Mountcastle at 1B. OF of McKenna, Mullins and Hayes. McCann would be catching a day game after a night game in that scenario, however. 

41 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I understand the Gunnar plan and agree. Might you make the same argument for Adley. A real day off, not DHing, would seem to be in order for him, IMHO. If Santander is healthy, DH him, sit Gunnar and Adley. Go with Urias at 3rd, Mateo at SS and Westburg at 2B. Mountcastle at 1B. OF of McKenna, Mullins and Hayes. McCann would be catching a day game after a night game in that scenario, however. 

Gunnar had an off day not too long ago. Adley has been DH'ing nearly every game vs lefties recently. I think they are probably decently rested. Plus off day tomorrow. I dont see the need to rest either of them. Adley will most likely catch today given the night game last night which means McCann could DH. Could also see them DH'ing Gunnar to keep Mateo in there. But I bet they would like to keep McCann's hot bat in there right now especially vs LHP. I could see something like this:

C- Adley

1B- Mounty

SS- Gunnar

LF- Hays

DH- McCann

CF- Mullins

2B- Westburg

3B- Urias

RF- McKenna

We also have Kikuchi after the off day (another lefty), so that will likely be another McCann C and Adley DH game. He's had a lot of time off catching over the last month and its worked out well because McCann has been a beast at the plate and behind the plate. 

Edited by terpoh
  • Upvote 1

I think we see a very Buck type Sunday lineup with final game of road trip and day off tomorrow and taking first 2.  Give Rutschman, Henderson,  Santander back to back days off. Maybe something like this.

1. Hays LF

2. Mountcastle 1B

3. Westburg 2B

4. O’Hearn RF  would be Santander but for injury

5. Urias 3B

6 Mullins DH

7. McKenna CF

8 McCann C 

9  Mateo SS

• Upvote 1

I think Sears is the best pitcher in the A's rotation so the Orioles shouldn't take this game lightly. It's tempting to go all backups for this game, but Sears is no joke of a pitcher. All backups might not be a good game plan.

Last season Sears held the Orioles to just 2 runs through 6 innings pitched. He struck out 5 of our batters and he did it by throwing up in the zone to finish them off. Our hitters didn't adjust very well to him doing that.

We want our most capable hitters who can drive the baseball from up in the strike zone. Golfing isn't going to get it done today.

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

I think we see a very Buck type Sunday lineup with final game of road trip and day off tomorrow and taking first 2.  Give Rutschman, Henderson,  Santander back to back days off. Maybe something like this.

1. Hays LF

2. Mountcastle 1B

3. Westburg 2B

4. O’Hearn RF  would be Santander but for injury

5. Urias 3B

6 Mullins DH

7. McKenna CF

8 McCann C 

9  Mateo SS

Probably nothing like that

41 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I think Sears is the best pitcher in the A's rotation so the Orioles shouldn't take this game lightly. It's tempting to go all backups for this game, but Sears is no joke of a pitcher. All backups might not be a good game plan.

Last season Sears held the Orioles to just 2 runs through 6 innings pitched. He struck out 5 of our batters and he did it by throwing up in the zone to finish them off. Our hitters didn't adjust very well to him doing that.

We want our most capable hitters who can drive the baseball from up in the strike zone. Golfing isn't going to get it done today.

I don't think it's in the O's DNA to take any teams lightly....at least not this group of guys.  The 2016 team, yes.  This team?  Not at all.

57 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Probably nothing like that

It is a lefty starting so we know McKenna, Mateo and Mccan are going to play.   We know Mountcastle, Westburg, Hays are all playing.  Urias hasn’t started in series so we do a start.   That leaves you with 2 spots and 4 guys. Santander still banged up I believe so he sits, Frazier will be bench option for Westburg.  Mullins has played in field every game but last Sunday so day off or DH makes sense.    The only real decision imo will be is Mullins DH or Adley.  

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I don’t think they take anyone lightly but they do have two different lineups basically one vs a lefty and one vs a righty.  Most people don’t like the left lineup but for most part it makes the most sense look at numbers.  

18 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

It is a lefty starting so we know McKenna, Mateo and Mccan are going to play.   We know Mountcastle, Westburg, Hays are all playing.  Urias hasn’t started in series so we do a start.   That leaves you with 2 spots and 4 guys. Santander still banged up I believe so he sits, Frazier will be bench option for Westburg.  Mullins has played in field every game but last Sunday so day off or DH makes sense.    The only real decision imo will be is Mullins DH or Adley.  

Highly doubt Adley and Gunnar out of lineup on same day, with Santander also being out.

O’Hearn won’t start and Mullins won’t DH vs LHP

Adley will probably catch, McCann DH