Colton Cowser 2023

DirtyBird

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I think a fair question is:

1. Would the Orioles trade Kjerstad for Veen or Hassell straight up today.

2. Would the Orioles trade Cowser straight up for Lawlar today?

I think the answer to #1 is a no.  Neither Hassell or Veen has shown any real power and neither has conquered AA but time and hope is still on their side.

I think the answer to #2 is murkier than most people think.  

Fair questions.

Veen/Hassell are still considered toolsier than Kjerstad other than power, which was the case at the time of the draft too. But for the O's specifically, they might think power is more elusive in this organization.  So I would agree that they say no, but many clubs would take the other side.

Not sure what the case for Cowser over Lawlar is even with the org having an embarrassment of riches at SS. It's probably murkier now than it was at the time of the draft though. I guess you could ask if they would rather have Cowser + Willems or Lawlar, which could be a conversation if Creed's early-season performance isn't a mirage.

58 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Fair questions.

Veen/Hassell are still considered toolsier than Kjerstad other than power, which was the case at the time of the draft too. But for the O's specifically, they might think power is more elusive in this organization.  So I would agree that they say no, but many clubs would take the other side.

If so that number may be shrinking that would take the other side if they continue to struggle.  There is obviously still time for either of them to get things turned around, but both Veen and Hassell have been struggling over their past ~160 ABs or so as they've moved up a level and changed organizations, respectively.  One can expect players to need time to adjust but Veen being a ~.175 hitter over ~1/3 season of ABs at the AA level with a ton of Ks has to be concerning.

9 minutes ago, geschinger said:

If so that number may be shrinking that would take the other side if they continue to struggle.  There is obviously still time for either of them to get things turned around, but both Veen and Hassell have been struggling over their past ~160 ABs or so as they've moved up a level and changed organizations, respectively.  One can expect players to need time to adjust but Veen being a ~.175 hitter over ~1/3 season of ABs at the AA level with a ton of Ks has to be concerning.

It is but he also got to AA at age 20 and will be 21 all this year. 

19 hours ago, geschinger said:

That's reasonable. But whether it's wise to do so or not, many professional evaluators will cling on to the tools until the player definitively shows they're illusory. And even then... There were pieces last year about how Mateo was breaking out the way scouts had been predicting for a decade. That sort fizzled out by the end of the year. But hell, with how he has progressed at the plate this year, maybe he really is?

Veen/Hassell don't have particularly high K rates or any other glaring red flags that override the tools that made them elite prep players. Veen was arguably the number one player in the country and Hassell wasn't too far behind; that takes you a long way. They get a pretty long leash in my book when you're comparing them to Heston given that they're three years younger at the same level.

Regardless, even if I'm not personally the biggest fan of the approach the O's took in 2020/2021, you have to imagine it's playing out about as well as they could have hoped for. Kudos to them for that.

4 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Real nice opposite field power on display.  

Yes, it is. Very pretty swing. And this, combined with the oppo homer he blasted in spring training, I'm getting very curious what Mr. Wowser can do in the .......

grandes ligas!!!!

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

He's not on the 40-man roster right? Who would have to go for Cowser to get the call?

Gillaspie, Krehbiel, Zimmerman… need I go on?

None of them is projected to have anywhere close to the future he does in terms of being a long term contributor.