Colton Cowser 2023

DirtyBird

Elias has slow played the last few years with building the minor leagues up and now this guys are knocking at the door.  He is going to have to start making some moves in the next 6 months or so.  Do you move the guys at the major league level to offload payroll(not that we really need to) or do you ship some of the guys in upper minors for proven pitcher?

29 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Elias has slow played the last few years with building the minor leagues up and now this guys are knocking at the door.  He is going to have to start making some moves in the next 6 months or so.  Do you move the guys at the major league level to offload payroll(not that we really need to) or do you ship some of the guys in upper minors for proven pitcher?

Really hoping it's the latter.   We have a solid lineup (so it appears).   If we could pitch we might actually be able to do something.

21 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Really hoping it's the latter.   We have a solid lineup (so it appears).   If we could pitch we might actually be able to do something.

I'd be moving Urias, Mateo, Santander, and Mountcastle. And Frazier for a bag of lightly used ping pong balls. Mateo especially has real value to lots of teams around the league. Elias could very likely get young pitching which is close to the majors for him.

Westburg, Cowser, Ortiz, Kjerstad, and Norby would make this lineup incredible. Patience and power.

7 hours ago, bpilktree said:

This is why I wasn’t mad they didn’t do too much over the winter.  They are still figuring out what they do and don’t have in the majors and minors.  They don’t know how many SP spots they truly have to fill.  By July they should have. Much better idea. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bpilktree said:

My hope would be a combination of both. Upgrade the lineup with Heston taking Santander’s place.
Keep Mateo (assuming he stays even remotely like this) and have him be the bridge to Holliday. 

Decide on 2nd base who you want to keep and use one of the others as trade.

I keep Mounty, and if Heston is serviceable at 1st, you have real lineup flexibility, especially if the long lost Kyle Stowers comes back up.

9 hours ago, bpilktree said:

With a payroll 29th in baseball, I hope that payroll is not even a consideration at all. If our franchise is that poor after taking in 250+ million in this past offseason alone, we have much BIGGER problems to worry about than Cowser’s timeline.

However, if competing seriously is the focus now as it should be, that’s a different story.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

With a payroll 29th in baseball, I hope that payroll is not even a consideration at all. If our franchise is that poor after taking in 250+ million in this past offseason alone, we have much BIGGER problems to worry about than Cowser’s timeline.

However, if competing seriously is the focus now as it should be, that’s a different story.

If you have the 29th payroll in baseball it is because payroll is a huge consideration. 

Intermittent Bregman Cowser comp of Games at the four full-season levels.

Bregman 29-37-62-18 - 297/388/498 (and more Walks than Strikeouts)

Cowser 25-62-49-41 - 297/421/468 (only 130 BB to 213 K)

We'll see next month if he gets the Adley timeline.     The Zach Neto Brett Baty under 172 days of service bar has been limboed under for those Clubs keeping hope of controlling 2029 on a not Rookie of the Year or runner up.

In the meantime as we know from Eve, he has to show he can outplay two of Vavra, Urias and Hays from the LF/DH mix.    I'll go with the LF/RF split thing and call Santander/Stowers a distinct piece of the depth chart even though Hays could probably outfield them both in RF if Elias goes to Cowser.

If Cowser can demonstrate AAA mastery another couple weeks, it would be a nice signal for me of Elias' intent to compete ferociously if he were to get him into the mix sooner rather than later.

11 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I think he rides this year out with what he has.  We'll likely make a deal for a SP come deadline time where you could see some names move depending on how good the SP we trade for is.  We'll also do the things that contending teams do like sure up the bullpen, and bench.  

I think next offseason is when you'll see us open the door to giving some of our prospects OD starting jobs.  However, do we really venture away from proven vet commodities being as we'll be in Adley year 3?