Kyle Bradish 2023

Frobby

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Seems like it is really coming together for him now. Very exciting. Could he be a sneaky extension candidate? 

Bradish isn’t arbitration eligible until after 2026 when he will turn 30 during the season. I don’t know that it makes sense to buy out arb years of a 30 year old pitcher. Perhaps if he develops into an ace but I think that probably goes against the model they’re building. He will probably be traded before he reaches arbitration. 

2 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Was Bradish ever a top 100 prospect?   I seem to remember he came up with little or no fanfare.  

No I don't think so. The best ranking I've seen was withing the Organization as the 15th ranked prospect in the Orioles organization from 2021. Dean Kremer was ranked higher than Kyle Bradish. (So was Zac Lowther, Mike Baumann, and DL Hall.)

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2021/orioles/

In 2020 he was ranked 21 in the Orioles organization. There's no way that was in the top 100, but he did climb up the list the following season.

All that matters is that he's here now and getting better and better with each start. He is performing at the Major League level.

• Upvote 2

I think our top  3 starters are competitive.  Gibson scares me and after that it's the wilderness.  

Except for the Hall of Famers pitchers are up and down.   If we could get another solid starter, Gibson could be the 5 pitcher.  

We could really use another arm for the final half.  From TB to Boston everyone is in the hunt.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You know, I feel like I’m watching Bradish get better and better before my eyes.  ERA down to 3.05, and his breaking stuff is downright nasty.  

I broke down and got cable again so I could watch games. I don't know how he's looked prior to today, but what I saw today was magnificent. He could tell when it left his hand that they couldn't hit it.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If he keeps going like this, I wonder if he'll get some down ballot CYA votes.  I don't see him finishing in the top 5 but I wonder if he gets any recognition.

He's pitched well indeed, but I don't see him getting to the top 5 of CY votes if his record is something like 12-6 (6-4 now).  That said, he could pile up some wins in the remainder of the season.

3 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

He's pitched well indeed, but I don't see him getting to the top 5 of CY votes if his record is something like 12-6 (6-4 now).  That said, he could pile up some wins in the remainder of the season.

I think voters these days aren't really looking at W/L record too much unless someone wins 20 which is becoming exceedingly rare.

Pluses:  Good ERA, if he can somehow get under 3.00 that would go a long way.  Strong WHIP.  Pitching like a #1 starter for a team that has strong playoff chances.  If he keeps dealing against good teams, that'll help him.

Minuses:  Relatively unknown, not enough innings (he's 37th in the AL right now), not enough strikeouts.  He's actually got as many strikeouts right now as Felix Bautista does.

I don't think there's a chance he gets into the top 5, but if he received a vote and finished somewhere in the 10-12 range, I could see that happening.

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think voters these days aren't really looking at W/L record too much unless someone wins 20 which is becoming exceedingly rare.

Pluses:  Good ERA, if he can somehow get under 3.00 that would go a long way.  Strong WHIP.  Pitching like a #1 starter for a team that has strong playoff chances.  If he keeps dealing against good teams, that'll help him.

Minuses:  Relatively unknown, not enough innings (he's 37th in the AL right now), not enough strikeouts.  He's actually got as many strikeouts right now as Felix Bautista does.

I don't think there's a chance he gets into the top 5, but if he received a vote and finished somewhere in the 10-12 range, I could see that happening.

Sure, 10th to 12th is definitely possible.  That's just 1 5th-place vote (possibly from a Baltimore writer).  I'd love to see him in the top 5 overall, but I'd want long odds on that horse.

• Upvote 1

Bradish  is developing into a #1.  As is Wells.   And GRod has the stuff to become a #1.  He just needs experience.    I am not  sure the O's need to acquire a #1.   They are developing their #1,  They need better middle relief.  We need to see what Perez and Voth become as they get healthy.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Bradish  is developing into a #1.  As is Wells.   And GRod has the stuff to become a #1.  He just needs experience.    I am not  sure the O's need to acquire a #1.   They are developing their #1,  They need better middle relief.  We need to see what Perez and Voth become as they get healthy.

Trading for MR doesn’t make much sense. 

Interesting. ERA is approaching sub 3. Anytime you get under 3 you start getting some consideration for down ballot Cy Young Votes. To actually win the award and be in serious contention you need to get close to 2 ERA and sometimes you have to go sub 2.

On 7/3/2023 at 8:59 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Bradish at the moment is probably a #3-#4, but his potential gives me hope that one day he can be a solid #2 or maybe even an adequate #1 if he over performs and reaches his potential. 

I was actually being very modest when I wrote this during one of the game threads a couple weeks ago. I'm much more optimistic abut Kyle Bradish's potential than I was then. I just try to hold myself back before I get too excited and start talking Ace conversation.

I've been a fan of Kyle's every since I've started watching him 1 year ago live at Oriole Park. He seems to work hard and he's got that "it" factor with his slider to go with it.