Early spring bullpen thoughts

interloper

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Baumann's velocity has been pretty good, hitting 97 a few times. I would love for him to start rounding into a nice bullpen piece this year. 

He was looking like a legit prospect for a couple years, then I remember he lost some velo right when he was being promoted. That's really good to hear, I wonder if he could get back on track and become something. 

18 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

He was looking like a legit prospect for a couple years, then I remember he lost some velo right when he was being promoted. That's really good to hear, I wonder if he could get back on track and become something. 

He still needs better command.  

I’m definitely worried about our own. Our three go-to righties last year were Bautista, Tate, and Khreibel. We also obviously traded Jorge Looez. Then pen had already started leaking after the Looez trade. So now we’re without our top 3 from last year for various times. Khreibel has struggled big time. 

A OD likely pen of Bautista(is he ready?), Perez, Givens, Baker, Politi, Akin, Wells, and Voth, doesn’t look so good as it once did. We just rely on our own so much. The 5 and dive is cool with the SP until you have to bring in a shaky pen behind them. 

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m definitely worried about our own. Our three go-to righties last year were Bautista, Tate, and Khreibel. We also obviously traded Jorge Looez. Then pen had already started leaking after the Looez trade. So now we’re without our top 3 from last year for various times. Khreibel has struggled big time. 

A OD likely pen of Bautista(is he ready?), Perez, Givens, Baker, Politi, Akin, Wells, and Voth, doesn’t look so good as it once did. We just rely on our own so much. The 5 and dive is cool with the SP until you have to bring in a shaky pen behind them. 

Krehbiel looked much better today. Phils announcers said his delivery must be deceptive to hitters who haven't seen him before. So hopefully he has resolved whatever issues he had been having.

Edited by rm5678

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

He is slotted for a mid reliever spot.   With no options left and a 3.04 ERA last year that probably out weighs his spring numbers.   

I would say it's his job to lose but he is certainly doing his best to lose it. Track record is important but if you look beyond 2nd half of 2022 he looks more like a DFA guy. Between him and Krehbiel who do you keep?

33 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would say it's his job to lose but he is certainly doing his best to lose it. Track record is important but if you look beyond 2nd half of 2022 he looks more like a DFA guy. Between him and Krehbiel who do you keep?

Krehbiel has an option.  He doesn't have to start the year in the majors.

Right now my guess is the pen is Bautista, Perez, Givens, Akin, Gillaspie, Wells, Voth and Watkins.   But that can change before OD.   Krehbiel, Baker, Zimmermann and Baumann have options.   Politi returned.  We have to see what Vespi and Hall do in the last 17 ST games.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Krehbiel has an option.  He doesn't have to start the year in the majors.

Right now my guess is the pen is Bautista, Perez, Givens, Akin, Gillaspie, Wells, Voth and Watkins.   But that can change before OD.   Krehbiel, Baker, Zimmermann and Baumann have options.   Politi returned.  We have to see what Vespi and Hall do in the last 17 ST games.

I would be shocked if Baker is not on the team. 

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ditto.

Well, it could change.  Its pretty fluid.   And if he is not there for OD he can join later. I think several of the relievers with options will move up and down as needed.

Edited by wildcard

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Well, it could change.  Its pretty fluid.   And if he is not there for OD he can join later. I think several of the relievers with options will move up and down as needed.

Baker finished very strong last year.  He’s got a lot of rope.  As of today the bullpen is:

Bautista

Baker

Wells

Perez

Givens

Akin

Voth

The 8th guy could be Hall, Krehbiel, Politi, Gillaspie, or someone from another organization.

On 3/8/2023 at 1:52 PM, interloper said:

Perez's recent WHIP issues this spring finally caught up to him in his 3rd outing. Allows a single, RBI double, and then a walk so far this inning. 

Has allowed a lot of baserunners this spring and, worryingly, not many Ks. 

Nice outing today. 2 Ks, no baserunners.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Baker finished very strong last year.  He’s got a lot of rope.  As of today the bullpen is:

Bautista

Baker

Wells

Perez

Givens

Akin

Voth

The 8th guy could be Hall, Krehbiel, Politi, Gillaspie, or someone from another organization.

IMO if some of the BP guys struggle through the next week or so of ST i see us nabbing someones out of options guy -- "Future considerations" like trade or just try via claim, unless the front office knows Tate is a lock to return early in the year as we're told but we all know how that goes half the time.