Gunnar’s wrist

Explosivo

Saw an interview where he talked about his wrist hurting. Seems like it is definitely having a toll on his bat. Maybe we see a reverse hays situation. His first half is sluggish, gets some time off, heals and heads into a strong second half push for rookie of the year. No idea.

10 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Saw an interview where he talked about his wrist hurting. Seems like it is definitely having a toll on his bat. Maybe we see a reverse hays situation. His first half is sluggish, gets some time off, heals and heads into a strong second half push for rookie of the year. No idea.

I saw him against the Jays the other day and he was swinging the bat horribly.

As RZNJ says below though: If he is hurting, it makes absolutely no sense that he would be playing now.

17 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Steve should just say ,how dare someone ask a question about hopefully a main part of the Orioles. Surprised he didn't say how dare you ask that question on National Frozen Food Day.

Some of the press guys sure do get defensive when someone brings up that the #1 prospect in baseball not hitting all this spring so far might be of interest to the fans. The actual answer, besides the defensive way it was postured, actually was what the fan was looking for. 

Am I personally concerned that he has hasn't hit and had some "minor" wrist soreness earlier in the spring, not really, because it's March 13th. Ask me on March 28th. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Some of the press guys sure do get defensive when someone brings up that the #1 prospect in baseball not hitting all this spring so far might be of interest to the fans. The actual answer, besides the defensive way it was postured, actually was what the fan was looking for. 

Am I personally concerned that he has hasn't hit and had some "minor" wrist soreness earlier in the spring, not really, because it's March 13th. Ask me on March 28th. 

Steve is usually not like that. I guess he’s been working with Roch too long. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Steve should just say ,how dare someone ask a question about hopefully a main part of the Orioles. Surprised he didn't say how dare you ask that question on National Frozen Food Day.

I don't really read much crankiness from Steve here, just a silly elephant joke. But that's just me. I'm seen much worse. That said, he and Roch aren't the most pro-active of "reporters". For that, follow Nathan Ruiz and Andy Kostka. 

For example, a little thing that bugs me. This morning Roch tweeted out the lineup with no additional notes. Ruiz also tweeted out the lineup, but mentioned Bautista opening. It's a tiny inconsequential thing, but these little things add up to the impression that Ruiz is doing his best to note anything, well, of note. Roch sometimes just does the absolute bare minimum. 

Edited by interloper
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I’m not seeing what’s wrong with what he said? 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

This is a small example of the kind of thinking that led to Bill James' career, and in large part to all of Sabermetrics. Since almost the dawn of baseball, what happens on the field has been explained by age-old, untested explanations that were believed by baseball insiders and fans to be true without any testing or analysis. Do elite prospects who have had a bit of experience and success in MLB "typically" perform as poorly in spring training as Gunnar is doing after just 20 ABs, whatver "typically" means? I don't know, and I'm pretty sure Hyde doesn't know, either. 

11 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

This is a small example of the kind of thinking that led to Bill James' career, and in large part to all of Sabermetrics. Since almost the dawn of baseball, what happens on the field has been explained by age-old, untested explanations that were believed by baseball insiders and fans to be true without any testing or analysis. Do elite prospects who have had a bit of experience and success in MLB "typically" perform as poorly in spring training as Gunnar is doing after just 20 ABs, whatver "typically" means? I don't know, and I'm pretty sure Hyde doesn't know, either. 

But what is Hyde supposed to say? I mean, it's only 20 at bats, right? At the end of the day, is he healthy? If the answer is yes, no one should have any concerns. He could go on a two game tear and his entire spring would look different. It's the SSS or SSSs so far. lol

• Upvote 1