Gunnar’s wrist

Explosivo

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

But what is Hyde supposed to say? I mean, it's only 20 at bats, right? At the end of the day, is he healthy? If the answer is yes, no one should have any concerns. He could go on a two game tear and his entire spring would look different. It's the SSS or SSSs so far. lol

The informed, intelligent thing to say would have been something like, "Gunnar has shown us what kind of hitter he is over hundreds of at bats. Yeah, he's gotten off to a slow start in the equivalent of about half a dozen games. So what? The guy can flat-out hit, and he will hit." Instead, Hyde made up (or passed along what others have made up) that there's something called a "typical young person spring." I'm pretty sure there's no such thing, and even if there were Gunnar's first 21 ABs couldn't reasonably be said to be typical of it. That sounds like the kind of nonsense a manager would have spouted in 1923 or 1953, not 2023. Most of MLB has moved beyond that kind of fact-less generalization. I hope that's not typical of the way Hyde looks at things, and I don't think it is. 

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

The informed, intelligent thing to say would have been something like, "Gunnar has shown us what kind of hitter he is over hundreds of at bats. Yeah, he's gotten off to a slow start in the equivalent of about half a dozen games. So what? The guy can flat-out hit, and he will hit." Instead, Hyde made up (or passed along what others have made up) that there's something called a "typical young person spring." I'm pretty sure there's no such thing, and even if there were Gunnar's first 21 ABs couldn't reasonably be said to be typical of it. That sounds like the kind of nonsense a manager would have spouted in 1923 or 1953, not 2023. Most of MLB has moved beyond that kind of fact-less generalization. I hope that's not typical of the way Hyde looks at things, and I don't think it is. 

The “typical young spring” was in reference to a young player pressing. I’m pretty sure that happens all the time. 

A vet with more experience may take this with a grain of salt and not let it bother him. If Gunnar is pressing, in ST, that doesn’t speak to youth and inexperience.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The “typical young spring” was in reference to a young player pressing. I’m pretty sure that happens all the time. 

A vet with more experience may take this with a grain of salt and not let it bother him. If Gunnar is pressing, in ST, that doesn’t speak to youth and inexperience.

I could imagine that there's some effect like that on some guys, especially those who aren't certain of making the ML roster or who want to make a good impression to get on it in the future. But I don't know that? Is there such an effect? Is it "typical?" Does it happen "all the time?" I don't know. I just think ML managers ought not to state things they believe, but don't know, as if they're facts.

7 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I could imagine that there's some effect like that on some guys, especially those who aren't certain of making the ML roster or who want to make a good impression to get on it in the future. But I don't know that? Is there such an effect? Is it "typical?" Does it happen "all the time?" I don't know. I just think ML managers ought not to state things they believe, but don't know, as if they're facts.

That manager sees him and his vets everyday. We don’t. I think he has an idea of who is pressing and who isn’t.

And it’s extremely fair to think that I experience and youth would cause you to press in spring training vs the vets that don’t care about their ST stats.

42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

At least he's "slumping" in games that don't count.  Half of you would be fit to be tied if he started the season on a 2-21 streak.

Better to get it out of the way now instead of during the regular season.  

I dont care about slumps as much as playing with a sore wrist. Glad he got today off. 

6 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Good grief, man. Hyde was asked his thoughts on Gunnar’s slow start at the plate and he said he wasn’t concerned at all and thought it was a young guy pressing. You are way over reacting to a complete throw-away line. 

• Upvote 2