Mets star closer Edwin Diaz out for year.

DocJJ

He ruptured his patellar tendon while jumping up and down to celebrate Puerto Rico's WBC Quarterfinal victory.  

I don't know which type of injury I think is worse: the "celebration" injury or the "Angry" injury when a player causes himself grievous injury because they are furious over a strikeout or something....

I was at the Northwestern-Wisconsin football game in 1995 (The "Rose Bowl" year for Northwestern fans).  Northwestern  lost their All-American Placekicker Sam Valenzisi at the end of that game- he tore his ACL jumping up and down celebrating a kickoff that went out of the end zone for a touchback....   Kind of a dumb thing to celebrate too...

1 minute ago, DocJJ said:

I wonder if the O's fall out of playoff contention at some point if we could dangle Bautista as trade bait for some top talent?  (assuming he's healthy).

He isn't a free agent until 2028, he's making the league minimum.

Someone would have to commit to a stupid overpay for that to make sense.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

I wonder if the O's fall out of playoff contention at some point if we could dangle Bautista as trade bait for some top talent?  (assuming he's healthy).

I'd love to play some 2023 games before I even let the notion of selling off parts for prospects into my brain. Outa my head! Unclean! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DocJJ said:

I had a similar thought but Perez came to mind. Almost as good as Bautista but seems like more of a sell high guy if the Mets are desperate enough.

16 hours ago, DocJJ said:

He ruptured his patellar tendon while jumping up and down to celebrate Puerto Rico's WBC Quarterfinal victory.  

I don't know which type of injury I think is worse: the "celebration" injury or the "Angry" injury when a player causes himself grievous injury because they are furious over a strikeout or something....

I was at the Northwestern-Wisconsin football game in 1995 (The "Rose Bowl" year for Northwestern fans).  Northwestern  lost their All-American Placekicker Sam Valenzisi at the end of that game- he tore his ACL jumping up and down celebrating a kickoff that went out of the end zone for a touchback....   Kind of a dumb thing to celebrate too...

That celebration was COMPLETELY tame and frankly I think that MLB needs more of the energy / enthusiam that we've seen in the WBC games. I'd also say that getting injured celebratig and getting injured because you're an overgrown man child who needs to punch a wall is completely different. 

As for trading Bautista, it's a little early to be writing off the season isn't it? "Maybe" if we fall out of contention it's worth exploring, but he's a good young pitcher under team control for awhile so I really don't see many scenerios where trading him makes the team better. We need more MLB ready players, not more prospects at this point in rebuild. 

11 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I had a similar thought but Perez came to mind. Almost as good as Bautista but seems like more of a sell high guy if the Mets are desperate enough.

The Mets have players in-house with closing experience in Robertson and Railey. There's also been talk of them possibly signing Britton (Buck sure has his favorites). If they do, I think that would give them enough lefty depth in the bullpen to mix and match Robertson, Ottavino, and Railey until one emerges. So I guess my point is I don't see them making a trade unless that can get a legitimate closer, not someone like Perez.