Joey Ortiz 2023

Sports Guy

10 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Who is this guy and what validates this statement?

“ Aram Leighton @AramLeighton8 Co-Founder/Executive Editor at @JustBB_Media | Host for @The_CallUpPod and Just Baseball Show | Plenty of prospect tweets JustBaseball.com Joined February 2013 813 Following 8,250“

Edited by ShoelesJoe

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Real good stuff here:

What's that emoji at the end supposed to be?  A spool of thread?  I don't get it...

Honestly, it feels like he's just catching with the crowd who's been saying that since the end of last season.  There's always room on the Ortiz wagon though!

4 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

What's that emoji at the end supposed to be?  A spool of thread?  I don't get it...

Honestly, it feels like he's just catching with the crowd who's been saying that since the end of last season.  There's always room on the Ortiz wagon though!

Thread..as in, this is a thread about Ortiz…meaning several more tweets to follow.

5 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

It means it’s a thread on the subject. So maybe read it first before dismissing

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Real good stuff here:

I bagged on the spool but the thread had some good stuff in it.  Like you said.  A bunch of eye candy videos.  Checking out his rankings, he's got Ortiz ranked 4th in the O's system.  Behind the usual suspects.

Baltimore Orioles Top Prospects For 2023 | Just Baseball

I have to take back my comment about him catching up.  

• Upvote 1

The more I watched Ortiz last season the more it was obvious how good he had gotten once he regained his strength. I went round and round about him and while I'm still not ready to say he's the 4th best prospect, I will say he very well COULD be. 

I'd love to see him up in the big leagues this year, sooner than later if he gets off to a good start. I personally think he's better player than Mateo and Frazier right now.

Prospects tend to fall into tiers, and then the rankings in the tiers is more about splitting hairs, and preferences. The orioles seem to have a very clear top tier of 3 guys, ortiz isn’t in that tier.

They then have several very good prospects in the next tier, and I’d put ortiz there. 

The one new nugget we got from his thread was Ortiz's 90th percentile exit velo at 103 MPH.  The thread says that's a notch above average, but from the data I pulled it is slightly below, but regardless it looks like his power is at least average and he still can be more than just a glove first/only SS.

Some other interesting names that had a 103 MPH 90th percentile EV last year:

Jonathan India

Cedric Mullins

Austin Hays (it is worrying that Ortiz becomes a casualty to the left field wall) like Hays

Adley

Nolan Arenado

Francisco Lindor

Jose Miranda

Mookie Betts

A lot of these guys still have playable power because of a great hit tool, and Ortiz certainly can fit in the class too!