Stowers not featured in either of the two most recent "opening day" spring lineups

interloper

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Really?   I don't think they acquired Frazier to play much corner outfield.

Frazier's ability to play the outfield corners was one of the features that Elias mentioned when they signed Frazier.  So, I think Frobby's right.  He will likely see some time in the OF, but probably not a lot.  Even in the event of injuries, Cowser and Kjerstad are likely to be better options later in the season.

1 ) Mullins CF,   2 ) Vavra 2B,   3 ) Rutschman C,   4 ) Santander 1B, 5 ) Henderson 3B,  6 ) Stowers LF,  7 ) Frazier RF,  8 ) Cordero DH,  9 ) Mateo SS ( only righty ) I could see this scenario if they believe Frazier is a better defender in the outfield than Vavra 

59 minutes ago, PsychoBird68 said:

1 ) Mullins CF,   2 ) Vavra 2B,   3 ) Rutschman C,   4 ) Santander 1B, 5 ) Henderson 3B,  6 ) Stowers LF,  7 ) Frazier RF,  8 ) Cordero DH,  9 ) Mateo SS ( only righty ) I could see this scenario if they believe Frazier is a better defender in the outfield than Vavra 

I don’t think the spring lineups matter much. But the overuse of a mediocre baseball player during the season will infuriate a lot of fans.

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t think the spring lineups matter much. But the overuse of a mediocre baseball player during the season will infuriate a lot of fans.

I agree Spring lineups don't matter much and I'm not to concerned with the numbers that veterans put up in the spring either.... Like most on this board I didn't like the Frazier signing only because he's blocking some of our young talent but he has been an above average player most of his career with the outliner being 2020 with a 246 BABIP and 2022 with a 268 BABIP  

18 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not going to get too upset over a spring training lineup, but if Frazier is patrolling a corner outfield spot while Stowers is on the bench in a regular season game I will begin to have MAJOR concerns.

Last season was strike one and two with the playing of Odor long after he should have still been playing every day, and the acquisition and playing of Aguilar last year over Stowers. 

All Stowers has done in the minor leagues is produced over the last two years. He's 25 years old. It's time to run him out there everyday and a light-hitting left handed hitter like Frazier should not be replacing him in any regular season lineup unless Stowers is dinged up or needs a day off for whatever reason.

We're all well aware, that without a trade, Frazier will be patrolling somewhere.  He will be getting ABs over Mateo/Urias/Hays/Stowers.

None of us agree with it, but they signed him to play him, which is impeding development of younger guys and PT of current guys.

I always thought of Mateo kind of being the odd-man out.  

Primary lineup against RHP: CF Mullins C Rutschman  SS Henderson DH Santander 1B Mountcastle RF Stowers LF Hays 3B Urias 2B Frazier

Primary lineup against LHP: LF Hays C Rutschman SS Henderson DH Santander 1B Mountcaste RF Stowers 2B Urias CF Mullins SS Mateo

Is it fair to wonder if the brain trust of the Orioles knows how to build a playoff team? None of us completely understands what it takes to put all the pieces together and have the flexibility to adjust when the proverbial "sh_t hits the fan." The acquisition of Frazier is a head scratcher. The inability to augment the starting rotation with a ToR arm in an off season when pitching at that level was available is difficult to watch as other teams seem to be more willing to spend money. I think this team could very well regress this year. I think the criticisms leveled by posters on this boardof the choices this team has made in the last 18-20 months are very valid. 

2 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Is it fair to wonder if the brain trust of the Orioles knows how to build a playoff team? None of us completely understands what it takes to put all the pieces together and have the flexibility to adjust when the proverbial "sh_t hits the fan." The acquisition of Frazier is a head scratcher. The inability to augment the starting rotation with a ToR arm in an off season when pitching at that level was available is difficult to watch as other teams seem to be more willing to spend money. I think this team could very well regress this year. I think the criticisms leveled by posters on this boardof the choices this team has made in the last 18-20 months are very valid. 

Sure it’s fair to wonder, until such time (if ever) that the team makes the playoffs.   

• Upvote 1

I am not an advocate of the Frazier move but my best guess is that his versatility is important. The best sense I can make of it is that he is more like an insurance plan for a variety of scenarios. There could be an injury, Westburg/Stowers/Vavra could struggle, or players could be traded. It is even possible that Westburg or Cowser is part of a Big Trade. Frazier basically gives us the luxury to consider any option and assure that we can fill an open position with a LH bat and good defender. On opening day, that open position happens to be 2B (I do think he is modestly better overall than Vavra: similar bat, but better defense). That doesn't mean that will be his actual role as the season goes on. Kind of a weird way to spend $8M but that is the best sense I can make of it. 

• Upvote 1

I think the FO isn’t excited about his D and are both trying to improve that aspect of his game while protecting him a bit from over exposure out of the gate.  I’m curious what folks will think of him after watching him in OF for half a season.  He’s not quite DJ Stewart out there, but every once in a while he has a DJ Stewart-ish type play out there.  

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think the FO isn’t excited about his D and are both trying to improve that aspect of his game while protecting him a bit from over exposure out of the gate.  I’m curious what folks will think of him after watching him in OF for half a season.  He’s not quite DJ Stewart out there, but every once in a while he has a DJ Stewart-ish type play out there.  

Seems like he should be as good as Santander. Probably not as quick as we would like for the big left field.