Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

15 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Frazier is really starting to make me think my initial impression of signing him for one year at 8 million was wro…wr…um…misinformed. 

The home runs are a complete surprise.   Without them, he’d be hard to defend but almost every one of them has had impact on a game.    I think he’s shown that he’s on the downside defensively with his range and arm but the power and ability to have good AB’s has been his redeeming quality and who would have figured Frazier on a pace for 15-20 homers?

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The home runs are a complete surprise.   Without them, he’d be hard to defend but almost every one of them has had impact on a game.    I think he’s shown that he’s on the downside defensively with his range and arm but the powerhouse and ability to have good AB’s has been his redeeming quality and who would have figured Frazier on a pace for 15-20 homers?

Yeah, his strengths and weaknesses this year have been slightly different from what I expected, but the overall player is about what I expected.   He’s at a high point right now, and will probably drift back down some at some point, but it won’t really change who he is. 

I’ll say this.  I was going to post about a week ago that he’s incapable of hitting one out 400 ft to CF or RCF.   All of his homers before last night, it seemed were the 360 ft variety right into the corner.    He didn’t seem capable of going out to any other part of the park.  And then last night…..  413 feet?   WTF?

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’ll say this.  I was going to post about a week ago that he’s incapable of hitting one out 400 ft to CF or RCF.   All of his homers before last night, it seemed were the 360 ft variety right into the corner.    He didn’t seem capable of going out to any other part of the park.  And then last night…..  413 feet?   WTF?

He gave a lot of credit to Os hitting coaches in his postgame interview.  He talked pretty specifically about changing the angle of his hip turn to give more leverage at contact 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Haha. You think he should only start 40% of the games, maximum?

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Haha. You think he should only start 40% of the games, maximum?

Because he has a .5 WAR and his defense isn’t good.

2-3 starts a week is generous.

• Upvote 1

When Frazier was signed, many wondered "what Mike Elias was thinking."  Maybe the answer is a bit clearer, and he's not as dumb as some people thought.  I understand the argument that some make that we didn't "need" Frazier, but we really can't argue with 1) his contributions to the team, and 2) how we get professional at bats from him time and time again.  I'm sure the newer guys can also learn from watching his approach.

One other potentially huge positive from Frazier's recent performance is that maybe he's more valuable in a trade......assuming he hasn't made himself untouchable at this point (which I say, tongue in cheek).  

I'm not sure he'll be traded at this point, but if he is traded and we get decent value back, then Elias will look even more like a genius.