Game 2 Thoughts

Moose Milligan

It's tough for me to evaluate the pitching because the defense has been so bad. That said, last year a 6 run lead at any point in the game was a slam dunk win. It feels like this year we are going to have hit to have much of a chance.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

After the 1st two games, I think it's going to be a LONG season for the Os this year. The Os SP and RP look pretty weak. If only Angelos allowed Elias to upgrade the pitching this offseason....

I expected some regression from Bautista this year but it’s 2 games in.. this team is going to compete because of the offense. I expect the BP to be solid again. We’ll see how the SP pans out. Way too early to make any conclusions. Obviously. 

Edited by MDK02

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Weirdly the infielders hat who was coming out had his hat fly off right in front of McKenna and I have to think that's what took his attention.

Not an excuse but I thought it looked weird while watching.

Something about Gunnar and his head gear. Needs chin straps or something.

Yes the outfield defense has been terrible but I think they were put in a position to fail, Hays and Santander should play where they got the most experience and not moved around because of the dimensions so Mckenna should have been in right field today and he probably would have made that play that Hays misplayed and Hays would have squeezed the last out.....SMH.. different reads off the bat and different ball flights    

1 hour ago, PsychoBird68 said:

Yes the outfield defense has been terrible but I think they were put in a position to fail, Hays and Santander should play where they got the most experience and not moved around because of the dimensions so Mckenna should have been in right field today and he probably would have made that play that Hays misplayed and Hays would have squeezed the last out.....SMH.. different reads off the bat and different ball flights    

Shoulda-woulda-coulda... but you make a good point. 

11 hours ago, MDK02 said:

I expected some regression from Bautista this year but it’s 2 games in.. this team is going to compete because of the offense. I expect the BP to be solid again. We’ll see how the SP pans out. Way too early to make any conclusions. Obviously. 

I'm really hoping its because he got a late start to the spring. I'm guessing the Orioles would have preferred not to have to pitch him in high leverage situations in the first series or two, but unfortunately, it hasn't worked out this way.

We have to remember, he should be 2-for-2 in save opportunities despite the wildness.

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

Two points:

1) The ball appears to have a rabbit in it.  Rangers  16 runs, Angels 13, Rays 12.   It really flies.

I am wondering if that’s the reason Mullins and Hays have each misjudged two balls in the first two games.  The ball is simply traveling further than they expect.   It’s possible, but hard to say based on two games.  

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I'm really hoping its because he got a late start to the spring. I'm guessing the Orioles would have preferred not to have to pitch him in high leverage situations in the first series or two, but unfortunately, it hasn't worked out this way.

We have to remember, he should be 2-for-2 in save opportunities despite the wildness.

Yes, and let’s not forget that it’s the second game in a row where a fielder blew what should have been the 27th out.  In the previous game, Mateo fielded a tailor-made easy DP ball, stepped on the bag for the 26th out, had plenty of time and bounced the throw to 1B.   Honestly it was almost as bad a play as McKenna’s, except it wasn’t followed by a 2-run homer but by a strikeout, so we’ve already forgotten it.  

All offseason I said we had to upgrade the COF spots because the defense isn’t good enough there.

Now, I certainly didn’t expect arguably our best defensive OFer to drop an easy fly ball but overall, I’m not surprised to see the defense out there be a concern.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am wondering if that’s the reason Mullins and Hays have each misjudged two balls in the first two games.  The ball is simply traveling further than they expect.   It’s possible, but hard to say based on two games.  

There very well could be something to this. The Hays play was really weird. I'm not sure I've ever seen Hays misplay a ball so badly. I do think the balls are juiced based off what I've seen so far. If the ball is flying like this in April, good luck to pitchers in July and August. Saying that, didn't seem like the Red Sox outfielders were misplaying balls all over the place. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

There very well could be something to this. The Hays play was really weird. I'm not sure I've ever seen Hays misplay a ball so badly. I do think the balls are juiced based off what I've seen so far. If the ball is flying like this in April, good luck to pitchers in July and August. Saying that, didn't seem like the Red Sox outfielders were misplaying balls all over the place. 

I feel like for whatever reason, our outfielders have had the more difficult plays to make.   Obviously not McKenna’s, but the two Mullins plays, at least one of the Hays plays and arguably both, and one of the Santander plays were on screaming liners.  I feel like our batted balls have been more clear cut, either homers or uncatchable balls or routine flies.  In a two-game sample, that kind of stuff can happen.