DL Hall 2023

justD

20 hours ago, Gurgi said:

This guy is starting to look and smell like a bust.  High school pitchers probably dont belong in the first round.  

I would tend to agree that I'd avoid drafting HS pitchers in the first round; you just never know how their arms will hold up to the increased workload and reduced rest between starts in pro ball.  And it's obvious Elias agrees with that philosophy...although I wouldn't mind if he'd draft a few pitchers in rounds 2-4...

And I think it's still too early to call Hall a bust.  Although the diminished velocity and strange handling of him all year still smells like an injury issue to me...

1 minute ago, Otter said:

I would tend to agree that I'd avoid drafting HS pitchers in the first round; you just never know how their arms will hold up to the increased workload and reduced rest between starts in pro ball.  And it's obvious Elias agrees with that philosophy...although I wouldn't mind if he'd draft a few pitchers in rounds 2-4...

And I think it's still too early to call Hall a bust.  Although the diminished velocity and strange handling of him all year still smells like an injury issue to me...

But it isn't obvious.

Elias was in charge of the Astros draft when they picked Forrest Whitley. 

What we've seen so far with the Orioles is that Elias isn't willing to draft any pitcher in the first four rounds.  That isn't High School specific.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But it isn't obvious.

Elias was in charge of the Astros draft when they picked Forrest Whitley. 

What we've seen so far with the Orioles is that Elias isn't willing to draft any pitcher in the first four rounds.  That isn't High School specific.

One exception doesn't disprove the rule.  Again, I think it's obvious he doesn't like to draft pitchers early.  It doesn't mean he never does, just that his actions show he prefers position players early.

56 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

There was that rumor Elias wanted to draft Bitsko at #30 in 2020, but wasnt available, so drafted Westburg instead. Bitsko was a HS arm. 

Bitsko is from Doylestown, PA.  Really nice little town.  I used to date a girl from there. 

Getting Westburg instead of Bitsko has worked out nicely for us. 

44 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Pure speculation, but I have to believe he is dealing with some type of serious physical ailment.  Very strange to see that much of a velo drop.  I hope he can get right, he’s a talented kid.  

Agreed.  

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Pure speculation, but I have to believe he is dealing with some type of serious physical ailment.  Very strange to see that much of a velo drop.  I hope he can get right, he’s a talented kid.  

Unless he’s hiding something, the Orioles M.O. is very cautious regarding injuries so I find it hard to believe they are doing all of this despite some serious injury.   Could be that the back is still bothering him but he’s not telling them.  I don’t think so.  Could be that he changed his mechanics coming back from the lumbar injury.   Could be that all of the core and leg work weight training time lost caused the drop.   Could be a combination of those.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Unless he’s hiding something, the Orioles M.O. is very cautious regarding injuries so I find it hard to believe they are doing all of this despite some serious injury.   Could be that the back is still bothering him but he’s not telling them.  I don’t think so.  Could be that he changed his mechanics coming back from the lumbar injury.   Could be that all of the core and leg work weight training time lost caused the drop.   Could be a combination of those.

I’m perplexed by the whole thing.  It’s just very peculiar.  In my experience with baseball, when a player is under performing their talent level by a significant degree there is more often than not something wrong physically.  Again, pure speculation.   Maybe we get some more insights as to what’s going on.  

I watched that bio documentary segment that the Orioles made of DL Hall just before the season started and that endeared me to him more as a fan. So it's even more of a disappointing to me that he hasn't had enough success to be recalled, let alone, the fact that he's had to go down to FCL for more training and/or rehab and/or whatever else we don't know about.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...