Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Look at Jorge’s 2023 baseball savant page.  Whooooo!

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jorge-mateo-622761

His .439 wOBA exceeds his .365 xwOBA by a lot, but .365 is still very good and miles better than last year’s .281.   Contact rate way up, too.

Because Mateo had a two-month heater last year where he appeared to have figured things out, only to fall into an incredibly awful slump the last 5-6 weeks of the season, we’ll just have to wait and see if he’s made sustainable gains or is just in a short term groove.  I’m cautiously optimistic about significant improvement over last year overall, even anticipating that he’ll cool off eventually.  

1 hour ago, SilverRocket said:

I would love Mateo to add bunting to his game but the bunts have just not been good so far. 1 for 7 in bunt hits last year, and 0 for 2 this year. His bunts look more like sac bunts than any attempt at a hit.

I don’t agree that he’s not good at bunting.  He’s 5 for 6 on sac bunts they last two years. He may not have gotten many bunt hits, but I feel a lot of them were close and the defense just did a good job.  

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It looks to me like Jorge put on about 10 pounds of muscle this past off-season.   Earlier I was thinking he might be a half step slower in the field but he sure does look stronger.

Look at Jorge’s 2023 baseball savant page.  Whooooo!

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jorge-mateo-622761

Wow a big spike in FBs!  And he’s eating them!  Will the FB rate continue?  

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

What do we do with him?  Weapon.  5 tools. Can’t leave him in the 9 hole. I like him leadoff with Mullins behind him. 

Nothing. Ain’t broke, no need to fix it. I like him creating havoc where he is in the lineup. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

He continues playing anywhere close to how he has start of this season and I would pencil him in at short, Henderson at 3rd and Urias and Frazier split pretty much entire time at second and just give Henderson and Mateo off 1 day a week.

I agree. It was always said about him that he had the talent, but lacked plate discipline/pitch recognition/solid swing decisions. If he has figured that out, we will have a gem on our hands to and to all the other budding/blossoming jewels.